Hole liners

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Couple of weeks ago the holes at our place had inserts placed above the normal cup liners to give similar look to those we see on the tele when the holes are painted.
Brilliant really helps with long putts but surely ok only for non comps and yes we thought so as they disappeared but where absence for first two medals but were back today.

To me they shouldn't be there for comps as the hole becomes non conforming to the rules of golf so can the Medal be a qualifier ?

Your thoughts gentlemen and ladies :)

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
To me they shouldn't be there for comps as the hole becomes non conforming to the rules of golf so can the Medal be a qualifier ?

Your thoughts gentlemen and ladies :)

Your national or county union/association would not approve. But for an isolated comp I would be pretty sure they would allow it to count it as a qualifier.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hole liners/inserts should be at least an inch below the surface.

I thought it was 1/4" but I've no idea where I got that from so most likely wrong.

We had them last year and although I knew it wasn't right I said nothing because I liked them.

They keep the hole edges clean like they've just been cut, and weirdly make the hole look bigger than if the edges have started to roll over through traffic.

The downside is that the ball seems to lip out more, and when it does looks like it picks up speed coming out.

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I thought it was 1/4" but I've no idea where I got that from so most likely wrong.

We had them last year and although I knew it wasn't right I said nothing because I liked them.

They keep the hole edges clean like they've just been cut, and weirdly make the hole look bigger than if the edges have started to roll over through traffic.

The downside is that the ball seems to lip out more, and when it does looks like it picks up speed coming out.

here's the extract from the R&A competition guide

1. The member of the greenstaff who cuts the holes must make sure that the Rules of Golf are observed, especially the requirements that the hole must be 4 1/4 inches (108mm), must be at least 4 inches (101.6mm) deep and that wherever possible the hole-liner must be sunk at least one inch (25mm) below the putting green surface. If a plastic cuff/rim is used, it is considered to be part of the holeliner, so it too must be sunk at least one inch (25mm) below the putting green surface, unless the nature of the soil makes it impracticable to do so.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

1. The member of the greenstaff who cuts the holes must make sure that the Rules of Golf are observed, especially the requirements that the hole must be 4 1/4 inches (108mm), must be at least 4 inches (101.6mm) deep and that wherever possible the hole-liner must be sunk at least one inch (25mm) below the putting green surface. If a plastic cuff/rim is used, it is considered to be part of the holeliner, so it too must be sunk at least one inch (25mm) below the putting green surface, unless the nature of the soil makes it impracticable to do so.

Cheers :thup:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your national or county union/association would not approve.
see below ...

rather than create a new post I thought I'd resurrect this one ...

my club uses these liners, and have replied with the above bold text to justify there usage. Personally I don't agree that our greens make it impractical to not use them. I'm wondering what the justification would be with regard with regard this ruling when faced with such a situation.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting as our place used these for a while but they were often fitted upside down near the top of the hole with some distorted by damage, so didn’t seem right. Not seen them for a while.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting as our place used these for a while but they were often fitted upside down near the top of the hole with some distorted by damage, so didn’t seem right. Not seen them for a while.

Have I got it wrong but how can a extension liner be upside down? They are just a 1" deep cylinder.

golf_hole_highlighter_plastic_rings.jpg

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some of them are not quite symmetrical - so don't fit quite as well if fitted the "wrong" way round. But of the ones I've seen, it wouldn't make that much difference.

Do you mean they are not a perfect circle or that they are tapered?

taper.jpg

Attachments

• taper.jpg
    taper.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 4

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They are circular but, yes some have a slight taper as per your image. In some the taper is just because the thickness of the plastic is slightly less at the bottom than at the top
Yes the ones on use at our place had an internal taper. I’d guess that the thinnest
Part should be at the top.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes the ones on use at our place had an internal taper. I’d guess that the thinnest
Part should be at the top.

I assume we are concerned with them not being placed 1" below the lip.

So, yes, if the angled face is on the inside. O/w there could be a small gap between the collar and the lip.

taper2.jpg

If it is on the outside, the collar should be the other way up

taper3.jpg

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I assume we are concerned with them not being placed 1" below the lip.

So, yes, if the angled face is on the inside. O/w there could be a small gap between the collar and the lip.

View attachment 24088

If it is on the outside, the collar should be the other way up

View attachment 24089
I quite liked the look of them when just below the rim though I'd agree that they may cause balls to bounce out. Can't see what the point of them would be if placed 1" below the rim. I assumed they were instead of painting... if not then WHY have them??
Hole liner.jpg We had some this way & some reversed

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I quite liked the look of them when just below the rim though I'd agree that they may cause balls to bounce out. Can't see what the point of them would be if placed 1" below the rim. I assumed they were instead of painting... if not then WHY have them??
View attachment 24090 We had some this way & some reversed

You have the sloping face on the inside. The problem arises when the sloping face is on the outside.
If the point is at the top there will be a gap between the lip and the top of the collar.

They should only be used if the edge of the hole is prone to crumbing. Not simply than it is easier than painting.
Normal earth better absorbs the energy of the moving ball than the harder plastic of the inserts when placed at lip height.