Gross Prize in a Stableford Competition!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I don't think it's as big a deal as you're making out. Firstly, only a relatively small number of the field would be interested in the gross prize, i.e. those that have any chance of winning (low handicap players). Secondly, I assume it would be made clear before the event began that there was a gross prize, so these players would simply ensure they hole out on every hole.
No need to hole out on every hole to win a gross prize in a stableford.
Points scored against gross score on each hole. That is all that is meant by "gross prize" in a stableford.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Why?

Computer system record the gross score on a hole and both gross and stableford points totals.

Do you play to score a set number of points on a hole or are you trying to get the best gross you can on a hole.

If you a have a NR on hole i.e no points then you are hardly likely to win the best gross anyway.
I won the gross prize in this stableford with 33 points.
Actually tied, but my 19 points on the back nine won it for me. Couple of years ago. Note the blob on the 9th.

score 210904.jpg

Came 20th place out of 120 in the comp with 35 points net.
Score differential was 2.7.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

With the way results have gone since WHS then more clubs should be looking to add gross prizes into comps because it’s rare these days for the guys 5 and below to win many net comps.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Points scored against your gross score on each hole. If you've picked up, the points = zero for that hole.

Total number of points against gross score on each hole. Therefore a "gross prize" in stableford.

That's the way I've known it to be for several decades.

Gross Prizes
Medal - prize for lowest gross score.
Stableford - prize for highest total number of points against gross score on each hole. (This can include a NR/blob/pickup on a hole same as the net prizes)
OK - so I think I am getting there…the gross prize in a stableford comp is worked out by first ordering all players by total stableford points and for each total then order by gross. Nope…that doesn’t work. So order by gross score. That means the best gross scores are top of the pile. But then…dunno…confused.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
OK - so I think I am getting there…the gross prize in a stableford comp is worked out by first ordering all players by total stableford points and for each total then order by gross. Nope…that doesn’t work. So order by gross score. That means the best gross scores are top of the pile. But then…dunno…confused.
The gross prize in a stableford goes to the player who has scored the most points.
1 point for a bogey, 2 for a par, 3 for a birdie etc.

Last edited:

C7usk

Visit site
How do you have a gross acore for a hole if you pick up as not going to score any points. And if you dont have a gross score for a hole how can there be a gross score for a round, and hence a gross prize. I can see how it’s easy to have a scratch prize, but not a gross prize.

I am guessing we are into semantics here, and when talking gross what is actually meant is scratch, with the winner of the scratch prize being the player with most points off scratch - and that’s easily calculated after the round as scratch points are always going to be less than ‘handicap-based’ points.
We have a best gross score for our sat sweeps which are stableford format.. It is effectively the best stableford points total off scratch... It basically means that a select handful of players can win it . At least it always seems to be the same names that do win it... I reckon they easily cover there monthly membership costs with the winnings throughout the month... If only I was good enough to do the same. Lol.

IJames

Visit site
With the way results have gone since WHS then more clubs should be looking to add gross prizes into comps because it’s rare these days for the guys 5 and below to win many net comps.
That was also the case when max handicap was 28! The two 'issues' (WHS and increased max handicaps) have been merged in many folks minds!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The gross prize in a stableford goes to the player who has scored the most points.
1 point for a bogey, 2 for a par, 3 for a birdie etc.
That sounds like a scratch Stableford prize to me, not a gross one. To me gross means your total number of shots. It doesn't mean a points total no matter whether it's off a handicap or not.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
That sounds like a scratch Stableford prize to me, not a gross one. To me gross means your total number of shots. It doesn't mean a points total no matter whether it's off a handicap or not.
Gross is total umber of shots.

In a stableford that is total number of shots on each hole converted to stableford points. That is your gross score stableford points rather than your net score stableford points.

This is the way it has always been as far back as I can remember.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

In a stableford that is total number of shots on each hole converted to stableford points. That is your gross score stableford points rather than your net score stableford points.

Sorry…I’ve been having a total brain fade over this. As you have said - players just record their gross score for each hole and if they pick up simply records an NR for the hole. Whatever system is used will then calculate stableford points for both gross score and nett score for each hole.

My head had got stuck on thinking gross score being a total gross for the round and looking at that to determine best gross stableford…when it’s not that - at least not in the way of my confused thinking.

Sorry for my…errr…stupidity…🙄

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

This doesn't make sense. You don't have a gross number of points because there's no such thing as a net number of points, ergo the distinction isn't made. And since it is scored from your handicap I'd still say it was closer to net than gross if anything. Either way I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
This doesn't make sense. You don't have a gross number of points because there's no such thing as a net number of points, ergo the distinction isn't made. And since it is scored from your handicap I'd still say it was closer to net than gross if anything. Either way I think you're barking up the wrong tree.
Gross score stableford points - on each hole - add up to total.
Net score stableford points - on each hole - add up to total.

Everyone has these, whatever their handicap.
It is quite simple.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gross score stableford points - on each hole - add up to total.
Net score stableford points - on each hole - add up to total.

Everyone has these, whatever their handicap.
It is quite simple.
I don't understand you at all. What's gross Stableford points and net Stableford points now?? Are you still trying to claim that gross Stableford is the points people would score off of scratch essentially? Because I've never, ever heard of that being a thing.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't understand you at all. What's gross Stableford points and net Stableford points now?? Are you still trying to claim that gross Stableford is the points people would score off of scratch essentially? Because I've never, ever heard of that being a thing.
I don’t think I’d heard of it either, thats why I got confused, and we don’t have any prizes for best stableford total off a player’s gross score for each hole. We do best gross in medals and suchlike, but not stableford scoring - at least not that I am aware of.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Stableford - 1 point for a bogey, 2 for a par, 3 for a birdie etc.
This applies to everyone and it will be their stableford points for their gross scores on each hole.

In a handicap comp with nett prizes - well, you all know, so I don't need to explain.

I've never known this to be anything other than what I have described. My golfing memory goes back over 50 years.
At our club, we have a gross score prize in every mens comp - medal and stableford.