hitting 3 wood further than driver

itsamomentintime

Medal Winner
Visit site
I was on the 17th yesterday at my course (290yds par 4), hadn't been hitting driver well at all (pushing everything right) so decided to hit my 3 wood off the tee. I've been studying Youtube (cheers Rory!) to eliminate a slice and have been keeping my arms straight through takeaway and impact - result was an estimated 260yd tee shot with a slight draw :) . thats at least 10 yds longer than my driver when it goes straight

anyone else hitting 3 wood the same distance as driver? or even longer?

driver is Callaway XR
3 wood is Taylormade M2

all the gear no idea

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What loft is the driver? It might just mean that the loft on it is not enough for your swing. If you have a slow-ish swing and don't really hit up on the ball, then you're not going to get as much distance on a 9.5-10.5° driver really.

I personally had this issue - my old 10.5° used to only get me about 180y carry with maybe 50y roll, so now I use 12° and get more like 200+y carry with 40+y roll.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Incorrect driver technique.

If your hitting it straight and the same length as a 3 wood then it's probably something minor.

If it's just hooking or slicing it 200 and the 3 wood is 210 straight then it's a bigger issue.

In the end a half decent struck straight drive on the fairway will beat a decent 3 wood on the short stuff too, just not by a lot.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm about 10-15yds shorter with my 3 wood, sometimes not even that. I'm starting to use my 3 wood more and more as I tend to be straighter with it and the difference is becoming less. I get into less trouble with my 3 wood certainly.

All helped by an improved swing, not visually I hasten to add, which is bringing about greater consistency with my woods.

Me and Henrik are practically playing the same game now :fore: :rofl:

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I remember one time when I hit my 3 wood instead of driver, because there was water long and I know that a good drive can get there. I caught the 3 wood perfect and splash it went ... It's not the normal case for me, though. I'd say on a good hit with both clubs, the driver goes about 20 m longer in total distance. Some is just due to it running out longer, but it also gets a bit more carry than the 3 wood on a middled strike. And also, maybe because I don't use the 3-wood off the tee all that often, I feel way more confident with the driver.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My mate who I play with a lot barely uses a driver at all. He hates the large faces on most modern day drivers for some reason, he reckons they make his slice worse, so he tees off with his 3 wood all the time. Eventually he bought a 20 year old Big Bertha driver (much smaller head than the drivers you get now of course) for a tenner, but he still only uses it occasionally. He still hits his 3 wood about as far as I hit my driver, but then he's actually using a ladies 3 wood he's had for donkeys years so the flex is ridiculous.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
how far are you driving?
A good drive for me will go 250 yards, as in when I hit it spot on. The average is obviously lower, let's say 235-240. My old 3 wood used to go 230 on a good strike, but was much more erratic (it was old Slazenger piece of crap anyway so it's not even in the bag anymore).

itsamomentintime

Medal Winner
Visit site
A good drive for me will go 250 yards, as in when I hit it spot on. The average is obviously lower, let's say 235-240. My old 3 wood used to go 230 on a good strike, but was much more erratic (it was old Slazenger piece of crap anyway so it's not even in the bag anymore).

250yds usually for me as well on a good day

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
260 yards with a 3 Wood off a 28 handicap! Respect Sir. :eek:

Welcome to my world '21hc' and I reckon without measuring it and with 'favourable conditions' I get about 240/250 carry with a 3-wood, teed off our 337yd/13th t'other day and finished up about 25yds shy of the green so about 300/310 (total) off the tee although this would be on a good day, average day I'll get about 210/220 carry, crap day then who knows, might only get 50yds... :thup:

Only downside is I don't hit a driver well (straight) I hit it miles but it's a bit of a loose cannon in my hands... :smirk:

Tav

Visit site
Only downside is I don't hit a driver well (straight) I hit it miles but it's a bit of a loose cannon in my hands... :smirk:

Know the feeling, the upside is you spend that much time on other peoples fairways you get to know everyone in the club pretty well.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
260 yards with a 3 Wood off a 28 handicap! Respect Sir. :eek:

What's the problem. He/she might hit 300 yard off the tee but if they can't hit an iron, chip or pitch or sink a putt then they are going to be off a high handicap. A high handicap does not mean you can't be long off the tee

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What's the problem. He/she might hit 300 yard off the tee but if they can't hit an iron, chip or pitch or sink a putt then they are going to be off a high handicap. A high handicap does not mean you can't be long off the tee

I don't think there's a problem at all, just genuinely shocked that a higher handicapper can leather a 3-wood that far...

Like you say 'smashing' a 3-wood a country mile in no way makes up for poor ironwork/chipping/putting as I've found out to the detriment of my game... :thup:

ps, although new irons have certainly contributed toward a vast improvement in consistency for me over the last few rounds so I fully expect to see my handicap drop over the next few comps or at least I bloody well hope so...

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think there's a problem at all, just genuinely shocked that a higher handicapper can leather a 3-wood that far...

We have all hit those handful of shots that are exceptions rather than the norm distance.

I can recall a 180 yard 8 iron, 350+ yard drive and a 240 yard 3 wood.

Like many others, we hit one and wonder if we have moved up and might hit more longer one and less shorter ones.

In this case the OP is wondering if his driver game should be moving up a gear.

I think it can, just needs some lessons and hard work.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
was a one off unfortunately, just caught it perfectly after incorporating more hip/chest rotation

also bounced about 30yds

Does this not answer your question? Sounds like you hit a 'perfect' shot with the 3 wood and with your handicap you probably dont hit consistent areas of the face with the clubs so the driver shots maybe werent close to perfect.

There shouldnt be any other reason a 3 wood goes further unless the driver isnt suited to you (shaft wrong etc).