3 Wood off the deck

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I have two 3 woods in the bag these days that serve differnt purposes.

As luck should have it. Titleist make two types of 3 woods. An FD and F.

The FD has a deep face which makes it tough to hit off the fairway. The trade off is it has a bigger face to hit off the tee. Its low spin and seems to cut through wind well. Fairly low flight. The shaft in this is stout and low launch. If playing into the wind I will still hit this from time to time off the fairway for a low running shot.

The F has a much shallower face. The head is longer and as such is designed to get the ball into the air. It apparently has a shaft which also aids this. I can hit this over trees with ease and get it to land and stop on greens. Something I could only dream of doing with the FD I had in the bag for years.

I dropped my driving iron to accommodate this set up and dont miss it. The FD does the same job and is easier to hit. Win win.

I’ve got the 917 3 wood, I really like the Titleist clubs at address as they look square and suit my eye.
What have you got yourself, is it the tsi range?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Its a question of clubhead speed and strike precision to make it work - not hitting it thin or fat, and without delofting is a small window. I hit it now an again, if gambling a little, the lie is good, and there is no serious danger in range. But I feel I am on the edge of it being a shot for me, hence its rarity in real battle, and that really it is the preserve of the single figure golfers as a genuine stock shot. What hc are you ? 5W does the job so consistently and with lower risk, that the extra few yards are rarely worth it for me.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
However Is it not also true that your advice above is also equally as good for any FW wood. Therefore mastering your tip plus potentially hitting a more user friendly club will double the chances of more consistency?

To a degree I agree with this. My older 3w’s were always 14.5/15* and I was always consistent off the tee and deck with them, but since trying the new cobra’s I seem to be able to control the flight more. With that achieved I’ve played the f8 and speed zone at 16.5* (4w) with a lot of consistency. But… without a doubt the lower loft would have been more evident with less loft.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I seem to recall a YouTube video a while back where performance using 3w and 5w was compared.
Four golfers took part, having handicaps of around 5, 10, 15 and 20.
Of the four, the only one who actually hit the 3w further than the 5w was the 5 handicapper.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I seem to recall a YouTube video a while back where performance using 3w and 5w was compared.
Of the four, the only one who actually hit the 3w further than the 5w was the 5 handicapper.

Should have tried a 4w ????

D

Deleted member 23270

I’d say so Dave, it goes straight but it’s just a daisy cutter ?
I'd suggest moving the ball back a bit in your stance then. You want it to be just fractionally in front of the bottom of the swing arc.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I’d say so Dave, it goes straight but it’s just a daisy cutter ?
That would indicate you are hitting it (at least) a bit thin. So, as Dave posted, move it back a bit in your stance. Also ensure you aren't swinging 'flat' irrespective of where in the stance the ball is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21445

A forum is a terrible place for personal swing advice.

Listen to and trust your PGA pro in your lesson and go with that ?

D

Deleted member 23270

A forum is a terrible place for personal swing advice.

Listen to and trust your PGA pro in your lesson and go with that ?
Yep, you can point out a few basics but after that..........

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I did this myself and my 5w was about 6yds shorter than my 3wood.
Got rid of the 3 wood and put the 3 wood shaft in the 5wood it’s a beast straight as a die and as long as the 3 w.

To the op most ams I have seen failing to hit 3 wood off the deck is because they sway into the ball and get their hands ahead of the clubhead and present a very delofted strike.
Plus most try and knock the cover off the ball.
It’s a very hard shot ,one of the hardest imo.