SFT driver and 3 wood

G1z1

Visit site
Thinking about picking up the ping g425 SFT driver and 3 wood this week just to give me a quick fix.I will be keeping my ping g425 max driver and 3 wood just want the SFT as a temporary solution and I remember testing the SFT driver and it’s near impossible to slice. I do plan to fix my over the top but if I could get a quick fix it means I could start playing the top 100 courses again. The now I just feel too inconsistent off the tee and getting frustrated so don't want to be playing bad on nice courses.

Lesson today and we worked on getting a draw, I was hitting a draw with the pw,9 and 8 iron but from 7 iron and on was struggling so pro said it will take a bit of time to get the new swing ingrained into me.
So wanted to ask will a SFT lose me distance? I’m guessing there must be some downside to using one ?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Thinking about picking up the ping g425 SFT driver and 3 wood this week just to give me a quick fix.I will be keeping my ping g425 max driver and 3 wood just want the SFT as a temporary solution and I remember testing the SFT driver and it’s near impossible to slice. I do plan to fix my over the top but if I could get a quick fix it means I could start playing the top 100 courses again. The now I just feel too inconsistent off the tee and getting frustrated so don't want to be playing bad on nice courses.

Lesson today and we worked on getting a draw, I was hitting a draw with the pw,9 and 8 iron but from 7 iron and on was struggling so pro said it will take a bit of time to get the new swing ingrained into me.
So wanted to ask will a SFT lose me distance? I’m guessing there must be some downside to using one ?

It wont fix your slice, seems like a massive investment for no real gain. If you want a driver that will hit in consistently every time might I suggest this:

Just keep going with the lessons and give it time.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a club designed to avoid the slice. They can't guarantee you wont do it but they are loaded so to speak.

You can hit it the same distance as the MAX, no reason why not looking at the reviews, but if you ever decided to start hitting fades then it will be harder to do.

If that is not a worry for you then crack on.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
SFT drivers are excellent to be fair. Me and a mate of mine use them and they definitely do what they say on the tin. I'm not sure if buying a £300-400 driver as a 'quick fix' is a great idea though - I'd only buy it if you want to use it as a long term option. They're good drivers regardless.

I don't think they go shorter than the max version. The only difference is that it has more heel weighting than is possible to achieve with the max - and it's permanently set that way rather than being adjustable.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It wont fix your slice, seems like a massive investment for no real gain. If you want a driver that will hit in consistently every time might I suggest this:

Just keep going with the lessons and give it time.
I think based on other posts that time is of the essence and money is not an issue. Your answers are right but the OP wants to speed up the process.

Ping drivers hold their value very well so when he comes to sell one of the drivers he wont lose out too greatly and is prepared for the hit anyway.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I think based on other posts that time is of the essence and money is not an issue. Your answers are right but the OP wants to speed up the process.

Ping drivers hold their value very well so when he comes to sell one of the drivers he wont lose out too greatly and is prepared for the hit anyway.

Even still... a swingless golf club really is the only solution. :ROFLMAO:

Tee to green - no bother! And no need to learn this faffy swing business!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I have the Ping SFT driver and I can assure you it’s not impossible to slice ?

They are very good drivers though.
I agree with both these statements! ?
I can slice the arse of the SFT, and it's also shorter than my Rogue by 10 yards. But it's 20 yards straighter and generally in the light rough at worse.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also what would happen if I start to hit a draw, would that make the sft hook ?
Yes, probably. But alternatively, if you manage to hit a straight one it'll potentially draw a little bit. Basically the purpose of the SFT is to keep the face slightly more closed / less open.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My mate bought the G425 SFT and said it was impossible to slice, and it was - for the front nine. :LOL: I believe they will turn a slice into a fade that you can work with though.

I played down south last week first round I drove straight down the middle nearly every time second round I sliced a lot of drives lost 3 balls off the tea.

But in general playing at home I don’t slice much.

Had a great week though first time at the new stadium perfect result and what a noise?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What’s the difference between a SFT and a Max set up to draw.?
It can only be minuscule or the head would be to heavy.
A bit of lead tape would save a few Bob.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
What’s the difference between a SFT and a Max set up to draw.?
It can only be minuscule or the head would be to heavy.
A bit of lead tape would save a few Bob.
The SFT has a fixed 23 gram weight in the heel, whereas the Max has a moveable 26 gram weight (toe, middle, heel option). So 3gram difference. SFT head has a lighter swingweight too, D1 vs D3 in the Max.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The SFT has a fixed 23 gram weight in the heel, whereas the Max has a moveable 26 gram weight (toe, middle, heel option). So 3gram difference. SFT head has a lighter swingweight too, D1 vs D3 in the Max.
I looked it up too, and I was surprised the SFT weight wasn't greater than the Max one. It must be positioned closer to the heel though? Otherwise I don't see how that has more draw bias than the Max on 'draw' setting. :unsure:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks I have the Max .
So the swing weight might have a bigger effect than the 3G of weight.?
Can we mere mortals be affected by 3G.