Hippo Golf

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I was amazed to see in a tough industry as golf is Hippo Golf are still manufacturing golf equiptment,I think their hayday was in the 90's when they actually sponsored a tournament on the european tour the Jersey Open but strangely I dont think ive ever seen anybody using their equiptment :confused:.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They were part of the Howsen brand.
I had Howson Hippo woods in my first set back in '93.
Half decent, affordable clubs back then.
Back in the day Paul Broadhurst was in their advertising - not sure if he used them though...

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Didn't Woosie use their gear?

I also bought a Hippo polo in the sales a few moths ago so still making clothes as well as equipment.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
From a brand point of view the name "Hippo" might have had some appeal years ago but not these days.

Perhaps they should rename themselves, fancy the latest "Phipo" driver anyone?

(Aah, the musings of a man who's had a few beers)

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had my first set from them 16 years ago, was a full set including the driver, 3w, hybrid, 4-sw and the putter + a bag for 200 quid or so. Don't think can be beaten even now as a starter kit.

The branding was a bit off though, including the driver having written on the head: hybrid and forged ;)

Haven't seen them on sale though anywhere in the last 10 years. Surprised to hear they are still going.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I had a set (Driver, 3W and 5W) of Hippos back in the mid 90s. Plenty forgiving for the time. Donated them to the 'Father-out-law', who used them pretty effectively too, when I acquired some Killer Whale kit as replacements!

I seem to remember Direct Golf acquiring the Howson name at some stage. Woosie was associated with them at some time too. They pitched themselves in the 'game improvement' area, so never seemed to 'sparkle' like full-range OEMs. Benross seems to have been the biggest success story from this section - via their association with American Golf.