Help with a small road trip

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So me and a friend planning a short rod trip but we could do with some ideas,

Thursday 16 th July
Drive from Kent up to alwoodly gc and have game for £70
Thursday night we drive into Dumfries to a friends house.

Friday 17th July
Play southerness go which is supposedly a cracking links course and for only £13 as my friend is a member

Saturday 18th July
drive across Scotland to St andrews and watch the open for £70 then start to drive south after the open and stay in some cheap b&b.

Sunday 19th July
Play another top course in the north but which one ? Courses which have history I.e held an open, Ryder cup etc

I did think the 9hole course Musselburgh that held the open and is the worlds oldest course but it seems very tatty.

Any other ideas ? Just need to keep the round price £100 and under

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have played the course at Musselburgh (the old links) and it is encompassed by the race-track and isn't much to speak of nowadays. Try somewhere in East Lothian. Lots of great tracks there.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
You might struggle for an Open course on a Sunday for under £100.
If you want an enjoyable Links and probably the best value for money in the country take a look at Silloth, you won't be dissapointed.

D

Deleted Member 1156

All of the above are great options.

How far south do you want to drive before you play? If you come down the A1 you can detour into Lothian and you have a fantastic choice of courses. Carry on driving for a few hours and maybe look at Seaton Carew (think that's Hobbit's old course?) which is a really good links course. Even further south but with a bit of a detour you have Woodhall Spa.

All depends which route home you want to take really. Personally I would go for Ganton. They take county card but not sure about days/times.

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have just looked at silloth gc and at £58 seems a great bargain. I plan to inquire about tee times tomorrow so all going well, mission accomplished 😝

Thanks lads

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If you are travelling through Edinburgh, then Musselburgh (Old Course) might be worth playing to mark it off on an Open list on the way to another course. But scruffy is an apt description and there is really only 1 really good hole - Mrs Foreman's - but that's a cracker!

Gullane #2 is much better value than #1, which is (over)priced for the busloads of Americans doing a tour imo. Same land and only a smidgen lower quality.

Silloth would be a good choice. The Roxburghe?

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don't waste time at Musselburgh, head out to North Berwick instead. Plenty of great courses to choose from.
On the way home, I've only heard great things about Siloth