Help required please

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am a steady 15 handicap who has played a few years and am mid 50's and have always been fit.

My problem is the distance from the tee and that I ,so I am told, lack shoulder turn and am 'casting'.

Fully realise that this is part of the reason for the lack of distance but should appreciate any help. My short game is very good and I feel a handicap of 11/12 is realistic.

B

birdieman

Casting is extremely common fault that can be cured but most amateurs dont have enough practice time to make changes, compounded when you are older and have been swinging the same way for years.
I would suggest you get to the top of the backswing much more slowly and once you are 'set' then start that downswing painfully slowly. Most people I see casting are far too quick starting the downswing and that quickness helps throws the club out too early and you'll cut across the ball with too steep an attack resulting in a weak shot high and to the right.
Slow it right down from the top. A useful tip I read was to liken it to pulling a church bell cord straight down. If you start down slow you can avoid an early release. p.s. keep that right elbow tucked into your side - no chicken wings! Make sure shoulders, hips and feet are all square to target line and the ball isn't too far forward as that will open your shoulders helping a slice. Dont stoop, stand tall with some knee flex, get your chin right up which will allow your shoulders to turn better.
Work on some stretching at home - loads of this kind of stuff on golf websites.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought training bungee's a couple of years ago. It is just a big tube of rubber with two handles and it helped me tweak the muscles needed to have a turn. I stand on the middle of the band with one foot and swing slowly holding the padles using my normal swing. This is good at training the muscles needed to develop a turn. Mine were Golds Gym and cost about £10 and are also ideal for warming up and streaching before I go and shoot another 90.

Andy

The_Yips

Visit site
I suffered with the same problem. I used to find that I was hitting from the top of my swing and was swinging too fast. So slow it down. A tip to try in practice is to split your stance - move your left foot forwards and your right foot back - then swing. This should get your swing coming from the inside. Hope this helps.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for the help. Will take on board your comments.

Much cheaper than a lesson from the pro and probably more beneficial!!