Help A Beginner!

ncfcrulz

Visit site
Right, hoping some of you can help me decide where to go next. Below is an outline of me and golf to date

Started playing a short Par 3 local course approximately 5 years ago. Holes range between 70-160 Yards so very much a short pitch and putt course. Played this on and off for 3 years, probably 30 times total until 2 years ago when my father in law got into golf. Since then we have gone on a weekly basis religiously for the last 2 years.

I feel I am poor though. This course is obv Par 54 and whilst my PB is 64 I average around the 70 mark losing nearly a shot per hole. Over the past 6 months my thirst for golf has dramatically increased and I would one day in the future love to get membership with a local full course and play in weekend competitions but for now I recognise that I probably need to get to a decent standard at this short course!

Where would you go from here? The things I am considering are
A) Shelling out £80 for 5 lessons where I can improve my swing and other bits
B) Purchasing Golf Shoes - At my level would these have a significant impact?
C) Carry on as I am and study online videos
D) Start playing a full course now as it will only help?

Can I get some thoughts from people who have maybe been in my situation at some point? I am very much a budget golfer. We live to our means and other than membership/green fees the most I can afford to spend on golf equipment is £10-20 a month!

Thanks,
Rob

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lessons would be my starting point. Get the basics right and the golf will get better and you'll be prepared to step up to longer courses in due course. The trouble with online tuition (in my humble opinion) is that interpreting feel and real and ensuring you are taking what you're shown and incorporating it properly is hard, hence why lessons with a PGA pro would be my choice

Rumpokid

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Option D..You'll be ok on full course now, and enjoy it more..Good grounding playing par 3 courses first, thats what i did..Nowt worse than seeing someone go on a full course taking 8's,9's and 10's ..If you take to it, then go down lessons route etc..

ncfcrulz

Visit site
Hey all, appreciate the comments! I already made the video as soon as I saw the comment so its already uploading to youtube. I have a good understanding of a solid grip and (i think) my grip is OK. The swing when I watch it looks terrible but I dont really know why!

If I take lessons it will probably be with Gary Kitley who is the PGA Qualified Professional at Rookery Park Golf Club - http://www.rookeryparkgolfclub.co.uk/pro-shop/lessons/

Would that be adequate?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hey all, appreciate the comments! I already made the video as soon as I saw the comment so its already uploading to youtube. I have a good understanding of a solid grip and (i think) my grip is OK. The swing when I watch it looks terrible but I dont really know why!

If I take lessons it will probably be with Gary Kitley who is the PGA Qualified Professional at Rookery Park Golf Club - http://www.rookeryparkgolfclub.co.uk/pro-shop/lessons/

Would that be adequate?

got a link?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7NJLEddFxw

Sorry was 150MB as recorded in HD so took a while to upload from phone on 3G!

Thanks.

Straight away I wouldnt be swinging in the garage, too restricted. Your posture is restricting your upper body a lot, it's having a domino affect.

Cant see the grip properly but it does look like the left hand is very weak.

Def see a pro who will sort out grip and posture straight away and give you drills you can practice in the garage. Good luck and thanks for posting. Look forward to seeing the next improved video:thup:

p.s I wouldnt shell out £80 on lessons straight away, have a 30-45 min lesson first as there will be basic fundamentals that will need worked on before the next lesson, plus you want to see if you get on and communicate well with anyone assisting you.

Last edited:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

for sure the money will be best spent on a series of lessons so you get good grounding on the real basics of grip, posture & distance from the ball, ball position, parallel body alignments & how that all influences the swing motion, & how "head down" advice from fellow learners is a real swing killer right from the get go.

don't hesitate go see a PGA Pro.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Personally I'd probably book 1 lesson & see how you go from there.
You won't go wrong listening to Bob Mac on here,keeps it simple and knows his onions.