Help A Beginner!

ncfcrulz

Visit site
Absolutely no wrist cock / loading of the club at all. You should really be shown how a proper golf swing feels before what you're doing becomes ingrained & feels natural. Sooner the better.

Thanks, and thanks to all so far. Definately the advice is go get a lesson or set. I dont even know what Wrist cock/loading is... Is it where they take a few 10% swings before striking the ball? I normally just take 2/3 full practice swings first and then move forward to strike the ball, is this really bad?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Thanks, and thanks to all so far. Definately the advice is go get a lesson or set. I dont even know what Wrist cock/loading is... Is it where they take a few 10% swings before striking the ball? I normally just take 2/3 full practice swings first and then move forward to strike the ball, is this really bad?

No, it's where the wrists hinge & allow the club to get parallel to the ground at the top. It's how a lot of the power is generated. You really need to understand this stuff SAP. Once you know how a proper swing feels you've got something to practise. Some lessons to put you on the right track are essential.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go get a lesson and get the basics sorted, you would be amazed how much better your swing would look. I've been playing this game a long time and I've not seen many good swings start from a poor address position.

Go down the range and do some videos, they will be better than the one you have made in your garage. Do a few shots with the cam behind and some with the cam facing you so your hand position can be seen better. Then Bob will sort you out, he is a PGA Pro BTW.

wonga

Club Champion
Visit site
I had never hit a golf ball until I had lessons. Well worth the money. My advice is take lessons, you will be surprised how quickly your game improves & all the bad faults you have got now should be put right because no matter what our handicap is all of us have bad faults even the pros!

ncfcrulz

Visit site
Go get a lesson and get the basics sorted, you would be amazed how much better your swing would look. I've been playing this game a long time and I've not seen many good swings start from a poor address position.

Go down the range and do some videos, they will be better than the one you have made in your garage. Do a few shots with the cam behind and some with the cam facing you so your hand position can be seen better. Then Bob will sort you out, he is a PGA Pro BTW.

Thanks again all. I think I will do that if Bob is happy to have a look at them and give a few words of advice? Would be very much appreciated and then I can look at getting some lessons sorted also.

In the long term (and I dont expect this to happen overnight or possibly this year!) what score would you want someone to be hitting on a par 3 course regually before thinking they are ready for a full course?

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
Just watched your video, and I agree with Maninblack4612, you have no wrist hinge going on at all. Actually, as I watched your video I thought the swings you did were practice/loosener swings rather than the real thing! Your whole action is so stiff looking, and restricted.

So definitely, go and get a lesson.

If you're near Sydenham/Croydon my golf teacher, Jon Bird, offers a free 30 minute introductory lesson (http://www.cannongolf.co.uk/). And there have been plenty of times I've not rebooked with him because money has been tight and he's always been okay about it, so I'm sure he'd be completely reasonable if you didn't book a paid lesson with him straight away. Just explain to him when you call him (or to his colleague Rob Golley, who is one of the nicest people I have ever spoken to/met).

Unless you're nowhere near Croydon/Sydenham, in which case, disregard the last paragraph! :)

When I started on my path to golfing pain and pleasure I had a lesson (with the aforementioned Jon Bird) BEFORE I went out and played, so I was a blank canvas for him. As a result I have a fundamentally sound swing, at least to look at (issues with my back prevent truly effective golf shots - that and being over 40, unfit, and overweight!) My point is, what might be an issue for you is the swing you already have, and the unlearning of it that you'll almost certainly have to go through.

But that's not meant to discourage you!!! Don't be discouraged! Embrace the challenge and the journey! Get a lesson or two, and concentrate on what you're given in those lessons. Really get them ingrained, then move on to other lessons when you can afford them.

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
This course is obv Par 54 and whilst my PB is 64 I average around the 70 mark losing nearly a shot per hole.
In the long term (and I dont expect this to happen overnight or possibly this year!) what score would you want someone to be hitting on a par 3 course regually before thinking they are ready for a full course?
So, your best is 10 over, and you reckon you average 16 over.

Over a par 72 full course, that would be a best of 82, and an average of 88.

Now, we can't realistically project scores from a par 3 course on to a full length course like this, but still I've been playing for four years and in that time my best gross score is 94, which was on a par 68 course - Falconwood (though arguably my best is really the 98 at Sundridge Park West, which is par 69, but a much tougher track) - with a total of just five scores of under 100.

My worst is 139 at Kirkbymoorside.

In short, I'd be delighted to lose just one shot per hole! In fact, I try to play bogey golf anyway...

But my main point is, once you've got some idea how to hit a 3 wood or driver straight-ish off the tee, plus longer clubs off the fairway, just get out there!

By playing a par 3 course you've had lots of short game practice, and it's the short game, along with the putting game, that makes up the scoring part of the game. The tee shots and fairway shots are essentially just the "transportation" shots to get the ball in to the 'short game' scoring zone (and on those grounds I might argue that there's often too much emphasis on that transportation part of the game).

To quote Robert Plant: "Do it!"

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
@jpjeffery

You are correct it is hard to transfer a score on a par 3 course to a full course, unless some had actually set a SSS for it. The par 72 course I play at has par 3s ranging from 160 to 220 yards, unlike a par 3 course that would normally be around the 70 - 150 yard mark meaning there is no need for the use of long irons and woods.

@ncfcrulz

But it is a great place to start and if you getting round in an average of 16 over then your doing something right. You need to get those lessons and get your swing going better. Then see if there is a short course nearby that is a mix of par 3s and par 4s to get some confidence going. You have joined the best forum around. In sure you could find someone on here in your area that will take you out for a game to show you a full length course.

If you Ned equipment ask around on here. Plenty of people have picked up bargains from other forum era over the years and there is also chances to get free stuff from golf monthly too.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You don't need to spend £30-£40 an hour to learn the basics.
I absolutely agree you should get lessons and soon but as you're on a budget I thought I/we could help you out with the easy stuff.

First thing I would ask you to do is move your hands away from you legs a few inches, that will improve your set up and posture.
Compare your hand position to Luke Donald at set up.

[video=youtube;08rpqW2Z9Vw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08rpqW2Z9Vw[/video]

As for the swing, take a look on youtube at any of the top golfers and try and copy the way they finish, noting the way they ALL end up on their right toe. (left toe for left handers).
If you can do that, that will do lots of good things to your swing.

One of the important things to learn when starting out is, you are not the worst golfer in the world.
Get out on the main course soon and you'll see folk with worse swings than you. Just remember if you are holding up someone behind you, ask them to play through.
HTH

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Lessons would be my starting point. Get the basics right and the golf will get better and you'll be prepared to step up to longer courses in due course. The trouble with online tuition (in my humble opinion) is that interpreting feel and real and ensuring you are taking what you're shown and incorporating it properly is hard, hence why lessons with a PGA pro would be my choice

Can't believe with your reputation you didn't vote for new shoes.

You've let yourself down, you've let the team down, you've let Footjoy down......

ncfcrulz

Visit site
You don't need to spend £30-£40 an hour to learn the basics.
I absolutely agree you should get lessons and soon but as you're on a budget I thought I/we could help you out with the easy stuff.

First thing I would ask you to do is move your hands away from you legs a few inches, that will improve your set up and posture.
Compare your hand position to Luke Donald at set up.

[video=youtube;08rpqW2Z9Vw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08rpqW2Z9Vw[/video]

As for the swing, take a look on youtube at any of the top golfers and try and copy the way they finish, noting the way they ALL end up on their right toe. (left toe for left handers).
If you can do that, that will do lots of good things to your swing.

One of the important things to learn when starting out is, you are not the worst golfer in the world.
Get out on the main course soon and you'll see folk with worse swings than you. Just remember if you are holding up someone behind you, ask them to play through.
HTH

Thanks everybody. Going to the range tomorrow after work and will set up my phone to take some videos and upload them here. I appreciate alll the help I am being offered.

Rookery Park got back to me - £20 for 4 beginner(ish) sessions for an hour each in a group of 4-10 people. Is this worth it? Would you get the attention you need? At the end of the day its £5/hr! Which appears to be a bargain if only 4 people turn up?

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
Rookery Park got back to me - £20 for 4 beginner(ish) sessions for an hour each in a group of 4-10 people. Is this worth it? Would you get the attention you need? At the end of the day its £5/hr! Which appears to be a bargain if only 4 people turn up?
Well, as someone who has had lots of lessons I would take that offer up. I've never had a group lesson before, but I can see your point about whether YOU would get the attention you need as someone who has never had a lesson at all. Maybe get a 1-to-1 lesson to get you started then follow up with the group lessons.

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I started with group lessons and would highly recommend them in your position. At the end of the day, the pro can show 6 the correct grip and posture as well a 1 and the important thing will be to practice inbetween sessions.

Go for it and have fun!

Simon

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Spend the money on lessons. Group lessons are great as you are all there for the same reason, to learn, gain guidance and have fun.

ncfcrulz

Visit site
Again thanks for all the help guys! I went for my weekly round on par 3 today for first time since posted on here and applied the hands further away from.body advice. I also made sure I had a strong grip (interlocking fingers and thumb downwards with crease pointing at right shoulder

I beat my Pb of 64 with a score of 62! I hit 18 good solid tee shots. The only thing letting me down was Chipping! Couple of holes bad chips cost me 5's!

62 isn't a bad score tho?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Again thanks for all the help guys! I went for my weekly round on par 3 today for first time since posted on here and applied the hands further away from.body advice. I also made sure I had a strong grip (interlocking fingers and thumb downwards with crease pointing at right shoulder

I beat my Pb of 64 with a score of 62! I hit 18 good solid tee shots. The only thing letting me down was Chipping! Couple of holes bad chips cost me 5's!

If your getting better your scores will keep falling so well done.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Good man. Keep it going. I started in a group session and once a pro has shown the whole group the grip, posture etc, you are free to hit balls and he'll give you the advice and tips you need. I didn't feel as though I was neglected and got enough out of it to get a feeling of progress. As long as you work on the drills you are shown between sessions you should improve. Step by step