Help A Beginner!

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If you enjoy the Par 3 course, you could quite quickly save up for some irons. You would probably get away with 6-PW, and then you could slowly build up your set as you play on bigger courses.

I'm a student and so when I was younger I saved up cash from a part time job to buy all my golf gear.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Again thanks for all the help guys! I went for my weekly round on par 3 today for first time since posted on here and applied the hands further away from.body advice. I also made sure I had a strong grip (interlocking fingers and thumb downwards with crease pointing at right shoulder

I beat my Pb of 64 with a score of 62! I hit 18 good solid tee shots. The only thing letting me down was Chipping! Couple of holes bad chips cost me 5's!

62 isn't a bad score tho?

:thup:

Your getting there, remember this is far from the best one of year to be golfing, so just being able to get out and hit some balls is good. Get in on those group lessons and hopefully you can get the basics sorted, also you might meet some fellow beginners that you can hook up for a round with.

Once they are done get a 1-2-1 lesson and get some tweaks done and then you should be ready of get those scores down.

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
Again thanks for all the help guys! I went for my weekly round on par 3 today for first time since posted on here and applied the hands further away from.body advice. I also made sure I had a strong grip (interlocking fingers and thumb downwards with crease pointing at right shoulder

I beat my Pb of 64 with a score of 62! I hit 18 good solid tee shots. The only thing letting me down was Chipping! Couple of holes bad chips cost me 5's!

62 isn't a bad score tho?
Well done, sir.

Don't take this as a lesson, but I say there are two choices with chipping:
  1. Keep the wrists quiet and lead the club with the hands (so the hands stay ahead of the club)
  2. Use a putting action (with a less lofted club)
Arguably option 1 can give better results, but option 2 is safer (mis-hits are less disastrous).

I use option 2 most of the time, but option 1 is great for when there's an obstacle to get over.

Have a practice with both techniques...even if you don't learn much it's great fun!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Well done, sir.

Don't take this as a lesson, but I say there are two choices with chipping:
  1. Keep the wrists quiet and lead the club with the hands (so the hands stay ahead of the club)
  2. Use a putting action (with a less lofted club)
Arguably option 1 can give better results, but option 2 is safer (mis-hits are less disastrous).

I use option 2 most of the time, but option 1 is great for when there's an obstacle to get over.

Have a practice with both techniques...even if you don't learn much it's great fun!

I'd say with chipping the less you get the ball in the air the better for the majority of handicap golfers. Assuming you don't have any major hazards in the way. I have a mate who is a sweet golfer until he gets near the green where he almost always goes for his 55 degree wedge and tries to fly one near to the hole, when a lot of the times a 7 iron would get him much closer.

Puter Putter

Medal Winner
Visit site
Practice makes perfect in my opinion so D)! With practice, and the results that will come, your confidence will improve, your swing will become easier and more natural and you will continue to improve your game. There is no substitute for practice so get out on the big greens and give it a go!

Good luck.