Health & Safety OTT.

Genu9

Visit site
Club is telling us that for H&S reasons they need to keep a record of everyone who is playing on the course? Seems a bit OTT and I suspect an ulterior motive. Anyone else have this requirement at their course or knows where the legislation is that requires this?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
it is quite common, it is so if there is an emergency they know who should be out on the course.

Similar to signing in and out of a building so if there's a fire they now how many people need to be counted after evacuating

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, current course and previous course request we advise the pro shop before starting. If you need to be contacted in an emergency, they can gauge where you would be. Also gives them an idea of who is out there should something bigger happen, plane lands on the course as an example.

Why do you thing there is an ulterior motive? What worries you about it?

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes it happens at my course.
It's part of insurance policy too I believe that a record is kept. If anyone ever decided to claim they were injured on course there is a need to look back at who was on course on that date.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems perfectly sensible to me. It is a quiet evening, you go out on your own and something happens. The club will alt least know you are out there and can raise the alarm if you are not back several hours later. If they do not know you are there, they cannot do anything.

Genu9

Visit site
Yes, current course and previous course request we advise the pro shop before starting. If you need to be contacted in an emergency, they can gauge where you would be. Also gives them an idea of who is out there should something bigger happen, plane lands on the course as an example.

Why do you thing there is an ulterior motive? What worries

Tell?
Wife?
Work?
Play?
Golf?
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Middle one.😜

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Every person (member/guest/visitor) playing a round has to book in but other users of the clubhouse & golf practice areas don’t need to… so while useful for aspects of H&S, I seriously doubt that’s the primary reason for booking

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Every person (member/guest/visitor) playing a round has to book in but other users of the clubhouse & golf practice areas don’t need to… so while useful for aspects of H&S, I seriously doubt that’s the primary reason for booking
presumably because you can see those people

whereas on a golf course you could be a couple of miles away from the clubhouse

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is H&S (or at least, litigation prevention H&S which have become one and the same almost), and not anything ulterior I would say.
But, is also OTT.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The obvious flaw in the book in reason, certainly at any club I've played at, is that when the pro shop closes there is no one there to advise you have arrived and are going out. In summer there will be lots of people playing after work who have not confirmed with anyone. It's a bit of a token gesture then really 🤷‍♀️

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
presumably because you can see those people

whereas on a golf course you could be a couple of miles away from the clubhouse

Yeah as I say there’s practical H&S side-affects to booking in (although I could be on short game practice area for a couple of hours and not see a soul)

Thinking on it more, when a non-playing spouse/partner accompanies a player round the course, they don’t have to ‘book-in’, which further suggests the H&S of the ppl on the property isn’t the primary driver

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The obvious flaw in the book in reason, certainly at any club I've played at, is that when the pro shop closes there is no one there to advise you have arrived and are going out. In summer there will be lots of people playing after work who have not confirmed with anyone. It's a bit of a token gesture then really 🤷‍♀️
We are supposed to book a tee time even when the course is empty or the pro shop is shut. It takes seconds to do using the IG App and in general I believe the request by the club is pretty well adhered to.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
My H&S tips for playing golf.

No phones (you might not hear if someone shouts fore!).
Don't swing a club if there is lightening about.
Don't leave golf bag on ground where you could trip over it.