Have you ever played with a known handicap cheat?

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Soon to play against 2 in pairs matchplay..

Both guys HI's are above 20 - no cards in the system for over 12 months and yet both shot in the 70's in their last match against two people I know well and trust.... We're going to get battered

That's just blatant cheating.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
That's just blatant cheating.

I know... The committee are looking at it for next year - plans to insert some sort of "must have 5 scores made within comps" entrance criteria or something to try and eradicate guys like these entering and then walking over the competition.

Makes a joke of one of the most sought after comps at the club. Theyre in the Semi-finals with ease

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Come on, do share

Well someone thought they worked out who he was... so I just occasionally pop on to his home clubs results and scroll through to see how hes got on..

Not many competitive rounds played it seems.... but his handicap has dropped from 26 (his I won post) to now being 13.4 so I expect some general play score entries...

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
so no more. He has Been at more clubs than anyone in the county
Take some ear plugs. Boring player and bloke (well I say bloke) Let us know on Sunday how much fun you had

Springveldt

Visit site
Was involved in a pairs match recently
Where 1 of the other pair
Had gone from scratch to (4.5) 5 hcap
In 4 months....!!
I've went from 5.4 to 7.5 in 6 weeks. Maybe he is going through a rough patch. If my current "form" continues for another 4 weeks I'll probably be 10.4 at this rate.

Springveldt

Visit site
Well someone thought they worked out who he was... so I just occasionally pop on to his home clubs results and scroll through to see how hes got on..

Not many competitive rounds played it seems.... but his handicap has dropped from 26 (his I won post) to now being 13.4 so I expect some general play score entries...
Good on him. That's what most of the forum was telling him, to just get some cards in.

Swango1980

Visit site
I remember a guy from another club, who played against our club on several occasions, whose handicap was 1. His team mates were extremely dismissive of him. Apparently he NEVER played in competitions, and his handicap was based purely on social golf. He only ever submitted scores that were good (he basically hadn't submitted cards for years, and his handicap was based on a few really old scores from ages before). His ambition was to get to scratch, and he had a golf simulator in his house. He was the worst single figure handicapper I had ever played against I think (that includes guys up to 9 btw, and he was off 1). He might have been dangerous of 15 or so.

Mind you, that club also organised roll ups every weekend for members, and the official rule (accepted by Committee) was that if a player scored well, they must hand in their card for handicap. They were not allowed if they played badly. I'm sure the intentions were good, albeit completely incorrect, by trying to ensure players didn't have handicaps that were too high. Of course, it went completely the other way, and most of them had handicaps that were too low for them. They went from being a club that competed (and even won) the top division in the county handicap league, to getting relegated and struggling in Division 3. I wouldn't be surprised if most of their regular players, who played in those roll ups, all had handicaps that were at least 2 or 3 shots too low for them.

Swango1980

Visit site
I went from 5.3 to 7.8 inside a month - worth an extra 3 shots on the course....Still struggling to break 80...:cry:
I went from 6.6 on 4th Sep 2021 to 10.3 on 27th April 2022. It is worth noting that we were unable to submit scores for handicap between mid November to early April at our club, due to maintenance. Therefore, this handicap increase effectively occurred in the space of 2.5-3 months.

My course handicap increased from 8 to 13.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, someone I know well I happened to check his EG to notice he was putting handicap cards in through winter.
Unsure how he was doing that on a well shortened unmeasured course and 16 holes open but he had 18 scores?

He was actually putting in scores at 6/7 over to lower his handicap.
Nobody at the club had noticed it, and just a few week ago has left for another club.

The best thing is he complained last season that he never wins anything and consistently shoots around 15-18 over in comps.

Swango1980

Visit site
Yes, someone I know well I happened to check his EG to notice he was putting handicap cards in through winter.
Unsure how he was doing that on a well shortened unmeasured course and 16 holes open but he had 18 scores?

He was actually putting in scores at 6/7 over to lower his handicap.
Nobody at the club had noticed it, and just a few week ago has left for another club.

The best thing is he complained last season that he never wins anything and consistently shoots around 15-18 over in comps.
Can a club disable the option on MyEG and the ISV to stop players submitting scores from their course?

If they can, then they made a mistake in not doing so. If they can't, it would be a useful feature.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know... The committee are looking at it for next year - plans to insert some sort of "must have 5 scores made within comps" entrance criteria or something to try and eradicate guys like these entering and then walking over the competition.

Makes a joke of one of the most sought after comps at the club. Theyre in the Semi-finals with ease

Not sure how it would protect though, they just play 5 rounds hacking it around and then "turn it on" for matchplay. If people want to cheat then it feels like they can, you just hope honesty and reputation keep them from doing so.