Have you asked for your own Handicap to be cut?

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
Is it the done thing to ask for your own handicap to be cut under a rule 19 or should you wait and see what happens?

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I dont think there is a rule 19 anymore i believe its rule 23? Personally i would wait and see how you perform under competition conditions.

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
Well in the last 6 times i have played, i have come 2nd overall twice (winning the division at the same time) in the monthly Stablefords (2 comps in 2 weeks). Won the swindle outright once, won the back nine twice and the front nine once. Although i have been cut 1.2 in the last few weeks i feel it should have been at least another stroke.
The word Bandit (in a nice way) has been uttered a couple of times and i have gone from being elated at winning or performing well to getting slightly embarressed now. An ex-captain suggested i approached the Handicap Secretary about a cut but i am just not sure if this would be the thing to do.
The upsurge in form has been down to new sticks and loads of practice to get used to them.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
What's your current handicap?

If you are high at the moment no doubt you will be improving all the time and though you will get called a bandit, if you are getting cut reg you will find your level soooner or later.

If you get an adjustment you could be missing out on getting your name on the odd trophy.

RichardC

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I thought that the computer picks up if you require an additional cut under rule 23.

Why don't you have a word with the Handicap Sec and see what he say's.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well in the last 6 times i have played, i have come 2nd overall twice (winning the division at the same time) in the monthly Stablefords (2 comps in 2 weeks). Won the swindle outright once, won the back nine twice and the front nine once. Although i have been cut 1.2 in the last few weeks i feel it should have been at least another stroke.
The word Bandit (in a nice way) has been uttered a couple of times and i have gone from being elated at winning or performing well to getting slightly embarressed now. An ex-captain suggested i approached the Handicap Secretary about a cut but i am just not sure if this would be the thing to do.
The upsurge in form has been down to new sticks and loads of practice to get used to them.

I take over as handicap secretary this April and attended a seminar about the changes CONGU have made this year. There is one regarding "exceptional scores" which cuts players who score well (4 under handicap or better) if they do so within a certain number of rounds (think that's 6 from memory). The handicap software should flag up the first score and then recommend an extra cut when the 2nd one is entered.

Have your scores been better than 4 under? In which case I would speak to your secretary as the changes came in from the 1st Jan. The swindle wouldn't count as that would be, I think, considered social golf.

I'm still improving and have "headroom" in my handicap but never ever let calls of bandit do anything except make me smile inwardly as I know I want to be/could be/should be lower and it's just a matter of time.

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
At my club there is no way you can get your name on the board if you are higher than 16. They always split competitions into divisions. Saying that there is maybe one or two comps that are for lowest gross but not many. I am off 24 at the moment. My target for this year was to get down to 18 or better by next xmas if not sooner.

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
I take over as handicap secretary this April and attended a seminar about the changes CONGU have made this year. There is one regarding "exceptional scores" which cuts players who score well (4 under handicap or better) if they do so within a certain number of rounds (think that's 6 from memory). The handicap software should flag up the first score and then recommend an extra cut when the 2nd one is entered.

Have your scores been better than 4 under? In which case I would speak to your secretary as the changes came in from the 1st Jan. The swindle wouldn't count as that would be, I think, considered social golf.

I'm still improving and have "headroom" in my handicap but never ever let calls of bandit do anything except make me smile inwardly as I know I want to be/could be/should be lower and it's just a matter of time.

Although my scores have been close to my handicap, the CSS has been high (75 last week and 77 this week due to the weather) and the people i have beaten in my division have not been anywhere near my scores. Last week i won by 6 points and this week by 4 points over the next placed guy. Perhaps i should just let the HDID software do it's job.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Although my scores have been close to my handicap, the CSS has been high (75 last week and 77 this week due to the weather) and the people i have beaten in my division have not been anywhere near my scores. Last week i won by 6 points and this week by 4 points over the next placed guy. Perhaps i should just let the HDID software do it's job.

It will all be based upon CSS so probably not considered exceptional and warrant an extra cut...

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much. By your own estimate, your hcp is maybe a shot high - hardly bandit territory. The system will take care of that if your form continues.

The people implying you're a bandit should wind their necks in. These people who splutter with outrage have probably never been near a practice range in their lives. They turn up once a week with the same crap swing and can't understand why they never get better.

Consequently they can't understand how anyone else can have a run of form aor show significant improvement.

You are a higher handicap golfer who is working hard to improve - a few low scores are both likely and richly deserved. :clap:

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much. By your own estimate, your hcp is maybe a shot high - hardly bandit territory. The system will take care of that if your form continues.

The people implying you're a bandit should wind their necks in. These people who splutter with outrage have probably never been near a practice range in their lives. They turn up once a week with the same crap swing and can't understand why they never get better.

Consequently they can't understand how anyone else can have a run of form aor show significant improvement.

You are a higher handicap golfer who is working hard to improve - a few low scores are both likely and richly deserved. :clap:

Thanks Monty_Brown.
ps. nice shoes!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personaly i expect higher handicap players to score well in the winter when P&P is in place & i have no problem with it , they can improve their lie for long irons or mayb woods , & you get to place within 6 inches , esp in the rough i fell this helps the higher handicap players ..

If you are still doing it in qualifiers off the comp tees come march then some might wonder , but you will be or should be geting cut for your rounds then ,, If you & your mates know your not a bandit sod the rest of them & enjoy playing well , as all golfers tell you it doesnt last for long ..

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Agree 100%.

Reply to the 'Bandit' calls should be along the lines of 'Have you seen the practice area recently?'.

I've only ever queried a players exceptional score in a comp once, though I've laughed at several, as I'm a believer in letting the system do its job - Juniors excepted. The Congu system does have a bit of lag, slightly more than the 'Slope' system used pretty much everywhere else, but that can be an incentive too. As long as there are sufficient and frequent comps, then both will resolve improvement fairly well imo. It's the other direction that Congu 'fails' compared to slope imo.

Keep working at it and keep seeming a bandit. As long as you are 'true to yourself' ignore the negative comments.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Kingswood.

Unless EGU have got your course details wrong, 76 is the maximum possible CSS.

There is no reason why you cannot ask your Handicap Committee to consider a reduction in your handicap. You would have to specify what you consider the justification for it - remember social golf scores are not considered relevant. Your committee will probably have carried out the Annual Review (has to be done by end of February) which looks at your performance over the previous year, including such things as matchplay performance. Good luck in your quest - always good to see players trying to get their handicaps down.

PS Kingswood looks like a fantastic place to play golf.

Last edited:

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personaly i expect higher handicap players to score well in the winter when P&P is in place & i have no problem with it , they can improve their lie for long irons or mayb woods , & you get to place within 6 inches , esp in the rough i fell this helps the higher handicap players ..

If you are still doing it in qualifiers off the comp tees come march then some might wonder , but you will be or should be geting cut for your rounds then ,, If you & your mates know your not a bandit sod the rest of them & enjoy playing well , as all golfers tell you it doesnt last for long ..
I do not think you can get preferred lies in the rough ? only in the fairway or any other closely mown area.

Pro Zach

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As I have probably said before, the only fair handicap allowance is none. But unfortunately a minority of people disagree with this.

I have also pointed out that the handicap is bad for most peoples enjoyment of the game. Your post is one example of why. You are now worried about whether your handicap is correct and say you are feeling slightly embarrassed. The whole handicap system, and peoples acceptance of it, is based on the myth that winning is important. Winning is not important for the enjoyment of competition for most people, but avoiding embarrassment is very important for most people. So regardless of how hard you think you are trying to win the next competition, the likelihood is you will actually be trying to avoid being embarrassed

You are embarrassed because you are unsure if you deserve the handicap you are taking,but you don't need the handicap committee to sort this out. It is not against the rules to put a lower handicap on your card. So just put down the number you think you deserve.

If you are unsure how many shots you deserve, try doing this test. Imagine you are the only person in the competition who is allowed to take a handicap allowance, but you can take as many shots as you think fair. You will probably struggle to come up with any reason why you deserve to take any shots and have to write 0 on your card.

If everyone did this you would have a fair competition where the position you finish would be exactly where you deserved to finish based on your performance on the day. You would then get the satisfaction or disappointment you think your performance merits. But, win or lose, it would be down to you and not some unfair, inaccurate, meaningless, unnecessary, illogical handicap system. If you don't like losing, you could always write down a lower score than you actually took in the next competition. But I doubt you will want to do that.

Last edited: