Has anyone else noticed this in Kapalua...

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why is it that the players are aiming way left of target when there hitting a draw ? I watched Byrd and Stricker do it a few times yesterday. Is it camera angles or are my eyes deceiving me ??

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Yes they stand open. They are hitting a hard push-draw off the back foot. Generally you'll notice their shoulders square to the target when they do this.... if their shoulders are also aligned left then they'll be playing a push-fade and mostly releasing the club harder to the left. Some do stand square, Laird for example is more square and plays a little push-draw.

EDIT: Great question though Junior!

Once you know the ballflight laws you should be able to tell what shot they are going to play.... well, at least the one they 'set up to play' :)

Last edited:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the reply JustOne.

Tommo21 , I did notice it more on Sunday than last night, wondered whether it was the afternoon drinking !
The players feet were most definately aiming way left, not parallel and the balls was starting right of target and drawing round. Interesting as it goes against pretty much everything you read in the magazines on how to hit it right to left.

Intel

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the reply JustOne.

Tommo21 , I did notice it more on Sunday than last night, wondered whether it was the afternoon drinking !
The players feet were most definately aiming way left, not parallel and the balls was starting right of target and drawing round. Interesting as it goes against pretty much everything you read in the magazines on how to hit it right to left.

Also, with this setup the draw will generally be VERY low. It is ideal in the wind.

Intel

Hacker
Visit site
Stood behind many top players at the open and I dont see any of them standing way open to play a draw. Not saying it cant be done....but.

Try it for yourself.

Ball off the back foot
open the stance maybe 30ish degrees
shoulders square
butt pointing into your groin
normal/neutral grip
lengthen your grip
Try to swing square

With a good swing at it, the ball will squirt out low and drawing like mad.