Hardest Par 3 Starting Hole

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Someone mentioned on the favourite starting hole thread thAt they are not a fan of par 3's as a starting hole. This got me thinking about tough par 3 openers that we have played. Thankfully there are not many around but for me it would have to be the 244 yard opener at Meyrick Park. Another tough one is at Hayling, I've hit everything between a driver and 8 iron over the years.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
First at Wimbledon Common always focused the mind. Just 223 yards off the whites with OB left, trees and buses right, and a big drop away into no-mans land if you go too far right. Long green with a horseshoe bank around it and SI7. The opener at mine SI10 is a toughie off the white. A pussy cat off the yellow mind at 160ish yards. Off the white its 229. OB right, a line of trees coming out forty yards short and right to block anything pushed. Pond left. Two bunkers left and one right. Take four every time and get on with it

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Off the top of my head I can only think of three courses I've played which start with a par 3 and that's S&A, Torwoodlee and one of the Kinross courses (Montgomerie?).

Out of those S&A is by far the hardest, only think I've par'd it a couple of times.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hardest I've played is at Homer's place.
Played it twice and yet to get the putter out.......1 quality blob and 1 chip in..

D

Deleted member 21445

S&A aka Southport & Ainsdale

210 yards off the back perch, small green,8 pot bunkers guarding it front,left and right

Wind always off the left or into

I rest my case

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First at Royal Lytham..... Let's play it off the champ tees they said..... Cue 200+ yards into a relatively small green surrounded by bunkers.... There is also a nice bench where the locals sit and watch you tee off, just adds to the ambience!

D

Deleted member 15344

South Beds - 210 into a tiny green

North Hants isn't too bad

Liphook can be if you are in the wrong spot off the tee

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Winterfield in Dunbar, about 230 yards across the sea!

S&A is harder than Royal Lytham, green has bunkers and rough covered mounds all round it.

D

Deleted member 1418

1st at London Scottish (shares same course at Wimbledon Common).

231 yards to a green that slopes away from you into trees and bushes!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
1st at London Scottish (shares same course at Wimbledon Common).

231 yards to a green that slopes away from you into trees and bushes!

Always preferred that you our first. If you played towards the left of the green on your first the ball would always filter back towards the green. Anything too straight or right just ran away

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Liphook and Southport & Ainsdale for me too.

Not just the difficulty of the shot in front of you, but there being no hiding place. On the tee on show to everyone milling around the putting greens and in front of the clubhouse.

Deep breath..........

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The first at Bala, North Wales has been described as the toughest par 3 in the world by some but more of a lottery for me. From what I remember it's like playing up the side of Snowdon and it you don't get it on the green it comes all the way back down.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Agree with Meyrick, definitely the toughest I've played. Walton Heath Old course is another bugger. I liked S&A, didn't think it was too bad.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Agree with Meyrick, definitely the toughest I've played. Walton Heath Old course is another bugger. I liked S&A, didn't think it was too bad.
Forgot about Walton Heath. Always plays longer than you think. Watched the Pros play it in the US Open qualifier, and probably only one in three hit the green.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Not played many but the one I remember most was the first at Traigh; stood on the tee looking up into the sky where the green was located and and thinking "what on earth do I hit here?", great 9-hole course though with some stunning views.