Hard transport case for clubs recommendations

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am looking at how I am to play golf whilst away. I was thinking I would ship my clubs over and was wondering has anyone got any recommendations for packaging, process etc ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I have a Big Max hardcase that I bought from AG. It is scraped and battered from baggage handling but it is still going strong. I would hate to think of the damage to a canvas bag looking at how badly mine has been treated. Cost £100 at the time (they price matched) but think they are now £129.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Where are you playing? If in the US at all, i would suggest a hard case with a TSA lock.

With regards to the argument of hard case vs soft case... I used to work for an airline and I would go with a hard case every single time.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
It's not really anything damning to be honest. But put simply; turnaround times on aircraft these days are fast. With the insane amount of stuff that needs to happen before departure in the short amount of time available, luggage is not a major concern and the general idea is get it on asap. There really isn't much care for how it is handled to be honest.

Every now and again, a video will do the rounds of a baggage handler violently chucking stuff from a cage on to a belt, and people will be shocked. Except those who work in the airline industry :)

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
All that said, most people use soft bags and don't run into trouble. A hard case is just simply a way of guaranteeing that the clubs won't get damaged.

I'm always worried them going walkabout though :)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am thinking that I will post them to myself .. as the air line is Ryanair.
But just thinking how would be the best way to do it.
Head off the driver sounds like really good idea!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I guess it's logic that a hard case will provide more protection than a canvass case, and for someone making a living every week flying their clubs around the world it makes sense.

For me, the downsides are the weight, the size and the inflexibility, the soft case is lighter and can be folded up when not in use.
Weight isn't an issue, they don't weigh much more than a decent canvas case but size can be. I have a large car and I still have to fold down a back seat and put mine in length ways to get it into the car.

CallawayKid

Q-School Graduate
www.regimentway.co.uk
I use something like this and have never had an issue with any airline so far https://www.onlinegolf.co.uk/access...MIqq6j1ZeQ6QIVV-DtCh31uQa0EAQYAiABEgJKc_D_BwE

If you cant get this then I've seen a broom handle with a plastic bowl over the top can help. Plus I pack towels around the top of the clubs to stop them damaging each other.
Remember to put your shoes in there and if you're only taking hand luggage, put your wash bag in there too so you don't have to do the liquids dance at security :D

CK

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Looking out at the window at Faro airport I saw a luggage cart zoom round the airfield and a couple of golf bags fall off...they hadn't been pick up 45 mins later when we boarded! :)

I tend to be pretty fastidious about wrapping everything in towels etc, but try to keep is as light as possible.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use something like this and have never had an issue with any airline so far https://www.onlinegolf.co.uk/access...MIqq6j1ZeQ6QIVV-DtCh31uQa0EAQYAiABEgJKc_D_BwE

If you cant get this then I've seen a broom handle with a plastic bowl over the top can help. Plus I pack towels around the top of the clubs to stop them damaging each other.
Remember to put your shoes in there and if you're only taking hand luggage, put your wash bag in there too so you don't have to do the liquids dance at security :D

CK
Just buy an old fashioned MOP cut the handle end off so it’s 3” longer than your longest club.
I take all my heads off that come off ,put them in the headcovers and in the pockets.
Masking tape shafts together and put in bag upside down ,grip at top..
Wrap waterproofs and towel around irons heads and good to go..

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Won’t be seeing mine until I can get some more permanent accommodation out in Sweden.. looks like I’ll be using renters ??? for a couple of months
Check out the ones you can rent from the airport.
Quality clubs and you have a choice.
Not sure if they have them in Sweden though.
Can’t remember the name of the company sorry.

Casey

Visit site
Your post doesn't match the thread title, but the simplest recommendation is buy a decent flight bag, all the golf companies make them.
Personally, unless you're a full time tour pro, any decent canvass case is easily sufficient.
Tip, take your driver head off when you pack the bag.

https://www.golftreasury.com/best-golf-travel-bags/

The first time I flew to Hawaii with my clubs, several people told me to remove the head from my driver. I remember thinking they were being silly and overly dramatic.

I opened my travel case once I got to the hotel room and the head of my driver fell out. It had snapped clean off.

I no longer think taking the driver head off is a silly or overly dramatic idea.