Handicapping

LCR1993

Visit site
Hi all, I have a question regarding obtaining a handicap.
I am 24 years old and have just joined Ladybank golf club in scotland.
I used to play when I was 16-17 and played off a handicap of 4. I stopped played so my handicap lapsed, therefore i last had a handicap in 2010.

I asked about rules of getting my handicap and ive had 2 different answers from people at the club. One person said i can put three cards in, it had to be playing full greens, can just be a bounce game with a friend marking and if its playing mats, it doesnt matter.

Another person said it has to be full course, no mats and has to be at least one card done in competition.

Im eager to get my handicap again so i can enter conpetitions and matchplay comps.

Thank you for reading!

Stuart

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Welcome Stuart, great name btw :whistle:

I recently did 3 cards, when I say recently it was in September, my understanding is, it needs to be over a marked course, so mats won't count I don't believe and no it doesn't need to be in a competition, you wouldn't be in a competition anyway. Marker needs to be a member I think.

Great course, our club are playing them in March.

LCR1993

Visit site
Thank you Cabby, i’ll take a guess you have the best name ever too (Stuart) 😃

Ah right ok thats perfect, i’ll wait until the mats are taken off and we’re on full greens!

We’ll maybe meet one day mate, i’m planning on playing everything and anything and yeah the course is great, 5 minutes from my work so made sense to join!

Cheers again

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Stuart, you will need to put in three cards usually from the white tees or the yellows those being measured as indicated on the card of the course.
Of those three cards they will take the best card then reduce anything over double bogie to double then that will only indicate your handicap.
Other things they should take into account is any previous handicap you have had (and you should let them know) and your playing experience.
Most clubs ask that your card is marked by someone who has a handicap and is a member of the club.
Most clubs will let you enter comps to get your cards marked but you will not be able to win until you get your handicap

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The important thing is that any card must be done when the course meets qualifying conditions. It can be off temporary tees provided the course has got a short tees measured course certificate.

It cannot be when there are more than 2 temporary greens in play.

Marker just needs to be someone with a CONGU handicap.

Ross61 is correct about new method.

The cards do not need to be in any competition.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
See post #6

But as a new member, and therefore not wanting to get involved in quoting rules at the club officers, the best approach is to simply ask the handicap secretary who's word is effectively law!

The crux at this time of year is exactly what they consider a measured course for returning your cards.

Welcome back to the game

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just play 3 rounds of golf and have a member mark each of the cards.
Hand them in!

easy as that!
pretty much so, prob worth telling the handicap sec your prev handicap and club as they take that into consideration.....though i am confused as your sig shows a handicap and its reduction over the last year?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
pretty much so, prob worth telling the handicap sec your prev handicap and club as they take that into consideration.....

Canny mind what it is but there is something about no one can be given a cat 1 handicap from handing in 3 cards, sgu need to ratify it or something like that.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Canny mind what it is but there is something about no one can be given a cat 1 handicap from handing in 3 cards, sgu need to ratify it or something like that.

Pretty much - clubs can't allocate cat 1 handicap without ratification from the next level up (county in England - don't know the structure in Scotland)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure each course has it's own rules, but when I joined mine they just said you need to complete three cards, marked by a 'competent golfer' - didn't even have to be an existing member. My club is pretty relaxed though. I don't know about mats because our club never uses them anyway.

The 'one must be in a competition' doesn't make any sense to me, because if you don't have your handicap yet you wouldn't be playing in the competition would you?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our comp sec told a pal of mine they needed to involve SGU to give an initial cat 1 hcp. He had lapsed several years.

She gave him 5.5, he got down to 5 after a few medals.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Our comp sec told a pal of mine they needed to involve SGU to give an initial cat 1 hcp. He had lapsed several years.

She gave him 5.5, he got down to 5 after a few medals.

Yep that was my understanding before I handed my cards in.

D

Deleted member 15344

To allow someone to be given a Cat 1 requires a code - that also includes when you transfer people over from another club.

You can give someone a cat 1 HC from the start but under special circumstances and with authority from the governing body - in England it’s your county and other areas believe the golf union

I have given one cat 1 HC and that was to an ex Pro