Handicap rule query_Comp Adjustment Between Tees

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not 100% sure this should be in rules but seems appropriate…

Is there a recommended or stipulated formula for adjusting a playing handicap when a player moves to a forward tee?

Scenario is for mixed medal comps where all players have a handicap managed and tracked from the relevant tees (mens/seniors/ladies)
One male player turns qualifying age for a senior and may choose to play the next mixed medal comp from senior tees
Given his handicap is correct based on a longer course, what adjustment should be done for using the shorter course tees?

If relevant the course is just over 550yrds shorter between these tees

(I get that the SSS is different (+3 for forward tees) for handicap adjustments going forward but I'm assuming the player cant just keep the same shot allowance for a comp)

Can it be as simple as taking it down by the difference in SSS?
(& I've no idea what was done historically)

Thanks in advance

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not 100% sure this should be in rules but seems appropriate…

Is there a recommended or stipulated formula for adjusting a playing handicap when a player moves to a forward tee?

Scenario is for mixed medal comps where all players have a handicap managed and tracked from the relevant tees (mens/seniors/ladies)
One male player turns qualifying age for a senior and may choose to play the next mixed medal comp from senior tees
Given his handicap is correct based on a longer course, what adjustment should be done for using the shorter course tees?

If relevant the course is just over 550yrds shorter between these tees

(I get that the SSS is different (+3 for forward tees) for handicap adjustments going forward but I'm assuming the player cant just keep the same shot allowance for a comp)

Can it be as simple as taking it down by the difference in SSS?
(& I've no idea what was done historically)

Thanks in advance

If the course has been rated for men off the Red tee, then it's pretty simple - Medal format simply adjusts by difference in SSS (though you've confused me a but stating +3! I would have expected -3!). If it's a Stableford comp, then the difference in Par between the 2 courses also has to be considered - unless the 'normal' Men's Par is used for all Male competitors, in which case simply deduct the difference between the 2 SSSs from his score.

If the course has not been rated for men off the Red tee, then you have a problem! Though it would seem that 3 shots (maybe only 2) would likely be about correct - rating generally allows 1 shot per 250 yards difference.

If it's a mixed competition, so 2 different courses are actually being played, here's a guide - with the adjustment formula! http://www.englandgolf.org/library-media\documents\Appendix O.pdf

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Cheers FH, useful link

Yeah I'd have thought the SSS was - too but I'm going on 2nd hand info through 3rd party so thought best to relay as I got it

My finger in the air guess was a 2 or 3 shot difference so its good to see the process supports something like that

I'll pass it along

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Note:
Note: In Qualifying Competitions any adjustment necessary should be applied forcompetition result purposes only, so that the competition retains its Qualifying status. Theadjusted Competition Handicap Allowance must not be used to establish the Competition ScratchScore or for the purpose of handicap alteration.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Note:
Note: In Qualifying Competitions any adjustment necessary should be applied forcompetition result purposes only, so that the competition retains its Qualifying status. Theadjusted Competition Handicap Allowance must not be used to establish the Competition ScratchScore or for the purpose of handicap alteration.

Thanks, good to know