Handicap manipulation - how to address

Teebs

Visit site
Some guidance if possible

We have 4 members where it is thought that they are artificially keeping their handicaps high in order to complete (and win) club 4BBB comps and also external Opens (where they have been prolific and won circa 80% where they've entered). It is thought a few of them have a difference of around 10 shots between their PH and ability.

One example below from their EG record..

1000025393.png

How would be best to address? The last comp they won as a 4 -ball, the entire room jeered them...

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I can't tell from that if those are gp cards or not? What specifically do you think is happening?

There's loads of this going on... especially in team events. I've played in three team opens this year... the winning margins from team placed second have all been double digit. Spooky eh?

One "gang" are playing again soon. I've written to the hosting club to tell them who'll win. I bet I'm right too. 😁

Last edited:

Teebs

Visit site
All GP cards.
Guess it's a difficult issue to address. Quite funny that all the scores are within ~5% of each other, I wish I was as consistent..

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
First thing the club can do is suspend their handicap - but very hard to prove

Also the club can put rules in place that a certain amount of cards must be from single qualifying competitions to allow entry into team events

And also the open competitions should be the same restrictions

The home club can also adjust the handicap to reflect playing ability if they have proof and the data shows that they do well in “ko” or non handicap qualifying events

Teebs

Visit site
All marked by each other???

I've seen clubs this year insisting on a certain proportion of competition cards and banning players with the igolf /Wales golf (non club) handicaps.

If clubs stop giving out big prizes and cut entry fees, things will improve

The 4some all play together and mark each other's GP cards. They also play together in medal comps etc.

D-S

Visit site

Also the club can put rules in place that a certain amount of cards must be from single qualifying competitions to allow entry into team events

The home club can also adjust the handicap to reflect playing ability if they have proof and the data shows that they do well in “ko” or non handicap qualifying events
There's no reason why they won't just put the same high differential cards in Singles comps, just it might cost them a few pounds.

I agree with your last point although there is no record of their scores easy to hand in away Opens (team events).

Teebs

Visit site

Thanks. Their HCs have been adjusted but they've just popped more cards in to get this new handicap back "up". There's absolutely no doubt was they're "upto", but proving it will be hard.
They are even posting higher scores in singles comps to ensure they look legit.

Teebs

Visit site
There's no reason why they won't just put the same high differential cards in Singles comps, just it might cost them a few pounds.

I agree with your last point although there is no record of their scores easy to hand in away Opens (team events).

Compared to the prizes they've been winning recently, £5 in a singles comp is small fry.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

That’s where it’s tough and always has been to prove the players that manipulate their handicap - and WHS makes it easier for some

Every open will have teams and pairs that will be playing of “false” handicaps - tough to stop , some like the old short wizard do it in plain sight

D-S

Visit site
It is both a benefit and a disadvantage of the new system and ease of technology that it is much much easier and more convenient for some to enter an awful lot of GP scores. The benefit is that, in the main, their HI is reflective of the majority's ability, the downside is that handicap manipulation is equally much easier.
This coupled with more and more clubs having been pressured to have qualifying courses through the winter mens that players who continue to submit a card every time they play this winter have Handicap records based on courses that, in the main, were playing far more difficult than they are starting to now.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
A couple thoughts -
- don't let them play together in singles comps, split them up
- clubs band together and just refuse their entries, ostracize them
- club could tell all entrants that they have put a total score in the secretary's safe/desk before the event and any score below that will not be awarded prizes

D-S

Visit site
If this is as blatant as it seems, with them winning 80% of the Opens they enter as well as club team and 4BB (pre acceptability), then a little research with all the results from other clubs and winning margins and win %, you could easily build a decent case and review their handicaps accordingly.

I would advise contacting the County once you have built the case (it needs a good deal of evidence, not just 2 or 3 decent results) and run it past them first.

The County will be the ones to whom they will have to appeal and provided they share your opinion on the weight of evidence and intended action beforehand, then you can take the necessary action.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
If this is as blatant as it seems, with them winning 80% of the Opens they enter as well as club team and 4BB (pre acceptability), then a little research with all the results from other clubs and winning margins and win %, you could easily build a decent case and review their handicaps accordingly.

I would advise contacting the County once you have built the case (it needs a good deal of evidence, not just 2 or 3 decent results) and run it past them first.

The County will be the ones to whom they will have to appeal and provided they share your opinion on the weight of evidence and intended action beforehand, then you can take the necessary action.
Clubs can take their own actions by refusing to accept their entries, or even assigning them handicaps for that event.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
A couple thoughts -
- don't let them play together in singles comps, split them up
- clubs band together and just refuse their entries, ostracize them
- club could tell all entrants that they have put a total score in the secretary's safe/desk before the event and any score below that will not be awarded prizes

Yeah I'm kinda favouring dealing with the problem players rather than 'everyone else' having to make changes in an attempt to foil them

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Problem is everyone could see this coming.
It so open to abuse why make it so easy for cheats.?

But the GP culture is what the powers to be want, but it’s causing the problems.
It’s a mess. Imo
If it's a mess, then clubs and committees (ie, people) need to step up and address the issues. There are ways and means available.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it's a mess, then clubs and committees (ie, people) need to step up and address the issues. There are ways and means available.
The Comittiees that we were assured their workload would not change.
What a joke!

Mostly volunteers who now have to sort out what their cheating members are doing outside the club.!

It’s a very poor system just rife for cheating.
But all golfers are whiter than white we all know that.😳