Wrong "strokes given" calculation

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was asked this today regarding a foursomes match.

Team A had course handicaps of 18 & 22 = 40 combined. Team B had course handicaps of 12 & 12 = 24 combined. Team A said " we have to play off 95% the difference - ie 15 shots" (40 - 24 x 95% = 15) and Team B accepted this. They played the match on this basis and Team A won 4&3. Shortly after the match, both teams then had a thought that the match had been played based on the wrong calculation of shots. They thought the correct calculation should have been 8 shots - although Team A thought they would have still won on this basis. One of team B (a mate) later asked me what I thought (he seems to think I know the rules)

My answer was that Team A handicap was 20 and Team B was 12 (ie half combined individual h/c).. Strokes given should have been the full difference of 8 shots. 95% didn't come into it. I said I thought that the match being played with team B accepting a difference of 15 shots (based on a wrong calculation) was just tough. It was their responsibility to know how many, and where, shots should be given. They'd initially accepted 15 shots, then accepted the result of each hole as played - which I thought would have to stand, as would the overall result. I said they could try asking the oppo to replay the match on the correct basis but that strictly, I didnt think this was allowable. Under the rules, they'd lost the match. Was I correct?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Full difference between 50% of the combined Course Handicaps. So you are correct.

And IMO result stands for reasons that you give.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ta. Thought as much. When I next see him, I shall just tell him he's an idiot ...

(As an aside, not only could the four of them not work out the correct number of shots given, I'm pretty sure all four had worked out incorrect course handicaps as well).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ta. Thought as much. When I next see him, I shall just tell him he's an idiot ...

(As an aside, not only could the four of them not work out the correct number of shots given, I'm pretty sure all four had worked out incorrect course handicaps as well).
They shouldn’t have to be working out their CHs - there should be a notice put up by the club in a prominent place giving the conversion of HI to CH for each set of tees.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
They shouldn’t have to be working out their CHs - there should be a notice put up by the club in a prominent place giving the conversion of HI to CH for each set of tees.
Ok, put it this way .... what they all played off didn't correspond to what it said on the notice.... for all four of them. Quite why is anyone's guess.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Makes you wonder how many rule infringements also went unnoticed...
One of them, I play with a lot. The others I play with occasionally. I've never noticed a particular tendency in any of them to breach rules. I'd regard all four of them as reasonably intelligent. Quite why they proved so incompetent in converting handicap indexes to playing handicaps I'll never know,

DickInShorts

Visit site
One of them, I play with a lot. The others I play with occasionally. I've never noticed a particular tendency in any of them to breach rules. I'd regard all four of them as reasonably intelligent. Quite why they proved so incompetent in converting handicap indexes to playing handicaps I'll never know,
I used to play - at a previous club - with two very senior managers in very large companies and both of them seemed to leave their brains at home when they arrived at the golf course - amazed me!