Handicap Limits

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One thing to remember is that committees have the right to adjust handicaps in competitions if they believe a player a player has handicap which is not indicative of their ability.

7.2b Other Actions
The Committee in charge of a competition may reserve the right to:
Adjust the Playing Handicap of an entrant within the Terms of the Competition
where there is evidence that the player’s Handicap Index does not reflect their
demonstrated ability.
If they haven't put cards in since 2018 then evidence is going to be a challenge!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are going about it the wrong way imo.

Seems to me that WHS is merely an excuse, as 2018 was a considerable time before WHS was implemented!
I suspect that they are simply happy to play Golf with their buddies - with or without competition. Your 'There are men in the same boat...' sentence simply describes the equivalent situation for men!

Trying to use more restrictive rules of competition to encourage entries into competitions seems a daft approach - by folk seemingly obsessed that everyone has the same (as their) reasons for playing golf! Putting up more barriers for participation in comps or returning scores is simply counter-productive.

If 'a largish number of ladies have not returned cards since 2018' and are still members of clubs, then I'm pretty certain they are happy to continue to do so - amongst themselves. And they are the folk you should be discussing the (perceived) problem with, not folk on here, as, imo, the vast majority include comps and scores as part of their Golf.

Basically talk to the Ladies - a bit deeper than currently - perhaps by finding their 'natural organiser' of the group(s) they play in.
Perhaps my OP was a bit thin on details. Some of these ladies have put the odd comp score in but I am told that they are now proposing to enter a few of the kudos events (Lady Captain's Day, Annual Foursomes & Fourball in particular). As it happens I have now found that the former did have a rule of '6 cards this year' prior to active/inactive being introduced to the UHS. Anyway the Ladies Committee are now going to cogitate.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Perhaps my OP was a bit thin on details. Some of these ladies have put the odd comp score in but I am told that they are now proposing to enter a few of the kudos events (Lady Captain's Day, Annual Foursomes & Fourball in particular). As it happens I have now found that the former did have a rule of '6 cards this year' prior to active/inactive being introduced to the UHS. Anyway the Ladies Committee are now going to cogitate.
Seems to me that they need to actually talk to players and ask really why they (the players) haven't entered comps - which, as I posted above, may not be the be-all/end-all of every player's golf. If not knowing how it works is really a/the reason, then some education is/should be pretty simple to arrange.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had a seniors away day a couple of weeks ago with 27 playing. 31 points was leading until the last group came in, one with 32 points (fair enough) and one with 40 points. The winner had a course handicap of 53 but that was based on the 3 cards that were put in for his handicap last year so was based on his best round. This latest round shaved 8 shots off his handicap index. IMHO, to receive a handicap of over 36 in comps you should have a reasonable amount of registered scores. I would class reasonable as at least 10 but would not be fussed if it was more.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I know that the above wasn't directly aimed at my question but to make it clear, it isn't about cheating. The issue is that some players have simply got out of the habit of entering comps and their caps are not representative of their playing ability. By seeing foursomes as 'a bit of fun' they are likely to overwhelm the field with unrealistic low scores.

Despite the club's exhortations re casual scores, they haven't yet responded. But I'm now inclined to recommend 'no of Q scores in a time frame' with further prompts re 9 hole and casual scores.

Many thanks to all for your comments.
With a sufficiently diligent Handicap Secretary, that should only happen once, if at all!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Or - having a CDH No is a good way for county and EG to check on the actual subs no being paid for even though they say they wouldn’t use that information.
Are you suggesting that some clubs might be cheating County/EG out of about a tenner, when subs are several hundred quid? Or do you just not trust your County or EG?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you suggesting that some clubs might be cheating County/EG out of about a tenner, when subs are several hundred quid? Or do you just not trust your County or EG?
It's surprising how many clubs over declare their membership numbers, often significantly.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's surprising how many clubs over declare their membership numbers, often significantly.
I'm surprised at that! Could it be related to when they have to declare numbers - perhaps a bit before they know accurately? I can't see any other reason for inaccuracy, as software can give counts pretty accurately.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My club is still using scoring in comps via the app. No need to cross check or sign a card.
I'm OK with this as I trust my fellow members but it seems a bit strange when you can remove pins, rake bunkers and everyone is back to shaking hands.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Or - having a CDH No is a good way for county and EG to check on the actual subs no being paid for even though they say they wouldn’t use that information.
Nope, every member has a Scottish Golf membership number anyway, so that's what they work off, there's no need for CDH to be used for that, I'd be surprised if England didn't have the same

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm surprised at that! Could it be related to when they have to declare numbers - perhaps a bit before they know accurately? I can't see any other reason for inaccuracy, as software can give counts pretty accurately.
Clubs often don't remove members from their files when they die, leave or stop playing. Some have membership systems that are not connected to the handicapping systems. The admin of some clubs consists of one or two volunteer members who have "better things to do with their lives" than bother with membership lists.