Good time for skill and nation building

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I rent a holiday home. To holidaymakers. It's how I supplement my pension. No-one is paying me housing benefit.

The nasty sneering tone of your response (not for the first time) reaffirms my decision to make a conscious effort to avoid this kind of discussion. So, feel free to fire off your repertoire of lazy insults, I won't be responding. It does amuse me though that you have beliefs, while those who don't agree with you have prejudices :D
Holiday home, forcing up the cost of local housing so young people cannot afford to live there. Socially irresponsible.

Best way to avoid a debate is to avoid it. Just saying ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Holiday home, forcing up the cost of local housing so young people cannot afford to live there. Socially irresponsible.

I have no comment to make on holiday homes, but the irony of your arguement is the older locals that refuse to sell at reasonable prices to young locals so they can climb the property ladder and self betterment (in their eyes)
Just remember the ages that voted for Maggie and took advantage of the right to buy of council housing at rediculous prices, and in many cases sold it on as soon as they could for a very quick large profit.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
You have children? What about children's allowance and child care or whatever it's called these day? They are benefits.

Somehow, we've gone from talking about upskilling to cutting benifits.

Maybe we should start by cutting the biggest benefit burden? Especially as the generation that have had it the best in living memory start to claim it.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

It's on a bespoke holiday village, so not driving up the price of local housing or depriving young people. In fact the holiday village provides a lot of local kids with employment. Sorry to disappoint you.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Somehow, we've gone from talking about upskilling to cutting benifits.

Maybe we should start by cutting the biggest benefit burden? Especially as the generation that have had it the best in living memory start to claim it.
You mean that payment that people pay in for over 30 years, or 50 in some cases that isn't a benefit. By all means stop it but also stop the installments so people can pay it into a private fund.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

Visit site
You mean that payment that people pay in for over 30 years, or 50 in some cases that isn't a benefit. By all means stop it but also stop the installments so people can pay it into a private fund.
Of course its a benefit. And that's before we get to the cost of adult social care.

How many people drawing a state pension have paid anything like the value in that they are getting out?

I don't have a problem with it. I did have a problem at someone sniping about people getting child allowance.

But it does appear to be a theme on the forum (not including you), that if you are anything other than a grumpy middle aged or old man, you are considered scum of some kind.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Of course its a benefit. And that's before we get to the cost of adult social care.

How many people drawing a state pension have paid anything like the value in that they are getting out?

I don't have a problem with it. I did have a problem at someone sniping about people getting child allowance.

But it does appear to be a theme on the forum (not including you), that if you are anything other than a grumpy middle aged or old man, you are considered scum of some kind.
I'm sure I could have received a better pension with what I paid in. 50 years contributions without drawing a single days unemployment benefit and I end up with a second class pension due to not being entitled to the new higher pension that younger people who have paid in less years receive.

D

Deleted member 23270

A lot of people have a problem with some of the stuff you post. It wasn't a snipe, it was a straightforward question to another poster. And for what it's worth, we have some of the lowest state pensions in Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can we put aside some of the handbags and get back to the topic.

Specifically on HGV, a bit surprised that it is not in the Skill shortage Visa. Some incentives to drive local workforce into it, but I don’t think it will help in the short term

Hire UK workers to drive lorries, minister tells firms https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58364308

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can we put aside some of the handbags and get back to the topic.

Specifically on HGV, a bit surprised that it is not in the Skill shortage Visa. Some incentives to drive local workforce into it, but I don’t think it will help in the short term

Hire UK workers to drive lorries, minister tells firms https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58364308

Hire uk workers? Yes long term that's fine but getting them to that standard ? With the back log in testing aswell?

Can we stop this rubbish of cutting our nose to spite our face and just train on the side of letting foreign drivers in on visa

Long term plan rather than cut them off cold turkey

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Spot on SR. I worked from the age of 15 without a single break in employment or paying tax, and I still am expected to pay tax now I'm 68 and semi retired. I do get the higher universal pension but can't claim any benefits and, as far as I understand, I could have earned a lot more pension if the money I paid to the Government was actually put into a pension scheme.

I also had private medical cover but was still required to pay in to the NHS (something you cant opt out of), so my various expensive operations over the years I not only paid for I also paid tax on the benefit of saving the NHS the costs.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yup, there you have it.
The tax dodgers, dodgy expense claimants, black economy workers and those folk who will happily use them calling the folk on benefits leeches.
Ohh Forgot the dodgy and inflated insurance scammers.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Spot on SR. I worked from the age of 15 without a single break in employment or paying tax, and I still am expected to pay tax now I'm 68 and semi retired. I do get the higher universal pension but can't claim any benefits and, as far as I understand, I could have earned a lot more pension if the money I paid to the Government was actually put into a pension scheme.

I also had private medical cover but was still required to pay in to the NHS (something you cant opt out of), so my various expensive operations over the years I not only paid for I also paid tax on the benefit of saving the NHS the costs.

Private medical insurance is to save you having to wait on the NHS for an operation..it benefits you greatly.

Plus if you had an accident you have to go into the NHS for treatment before you can transfer out.

Just like claiming oh I've never been sick I shouldn't pay for it . Not how it works or should ever work.

BiMGuy

Visit site
A lot of people have a problem with some of the stuff you post. It wasn't a snipe, it was a straightforward question to another poster. And for what it's worth, we have some of the lowest state pensions in Europe.

And I don't like some of the things other people post. That's the unfortunate way of the world. It would be a dull place if everyone had the same opinion. But this place is more like a UKIP forum than a golf forum at times.

Funny how not many people seem to mind poor people being described as leeches?

Feel free to hit the ignore button. I'm sure many have.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Private medical insurance is to save you having to wait on the NHS for an operation..it benefits you greatly.

Plus if you had an accident you have to go into the NHS for treatment before you can transfer out.

Just like claiming oh I've never been sick I shouldn't pay for it . Not how it works or should ever work.

Private insurance was an absolute necessity as I worked in a situation where I needed to be able to have treatment that fitted into my business needs, I could not have run my business and been at the mercy of the NHS for when, say, I needed a hip replacement. I think that with millions of people now on the waiting list since Covid it may pay the Government to allow a partial opt out of tax for anyone wanting to go private for their medical care. Private medical care only benefitted me when I needed to use it, otherwise it took money out of my business that could have been better used elsewhere and also I, and my business partner, had to pay extra income tax as it's a "benefit in kind" albeit that it saved the NHS many thousands of pounds over the years we had it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Private insurance was an absolute necessity as I worked in a situation where I needed to be able to have treatment that fitted into my business needs, I could not have run my business and been at the mercy of the NHS for when, say, I needed a hip replacement. I think that with millions of people now on the waiting list since Covid it may pay the Government to allow a partial opt out of tax for anyone wanting to go private for their medical care. Private medical care only benefitted me when I needed to use it, otherwise it took money out of my business that could have been better used elsewhere and also I, and my business partner, had to pay extra income tax as it's a "benefit in kind" albeit that it saved the NHS many thousands of pounds over the years we had it.

The NHS has before and I'm sure will again pay for the waiting list to go private to get through the covid back log

It may have only benefited you when you had to use it but you could afford it. Many others can't and have to just have what the NHS offers and if it stops them working they lose out.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The NHS has before and I'm sure will again pay for the waiting list to go private to get through the covid back log

It may have only benefited you when you had to use it but you could afford it. Many others can't and have to just have what the NHS offers and if it stops them working they lose out.

If by definition "I could afford it" is that I paid it, that is not entirely correct. As I said I paid it because it was a necessity for my business to ensure that I did not have time away that was unscheduled. The money would have been better used in the business. I accept that many others cant afford private cover but if I'd relied solely on the NHS then not only would I have lost out if I couldn't work, so would the employees who would possibly have lost their jobs had the business had to close.

As it turned out I used the private cover a number of times even having a hip replacement a week before Christmas so that I could recuperate over the Christmas break, something I couldn't have done at almost any other time.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And I don't like some of the things other people post. That's the unfortunate way of the world. It would be a dull place if everyone had the same opinion. But this place is more like a UKIP forum than a golf forum at times.

Funny how not many people seem to mind poor people being described as leeches?

Feel free to hit the ignore button. I'm sure many have.
Why not take the bias filters off and actually read and digest what people post. I made it clear numerous times we should look after those that are genuinely in need, do you suggest we should protect those that use the system rather than work? I also keep agreeing that tax evading is wrong but keep hearing that because of it we should accept other forms of defrauding the system.

Last edited by a moderator:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If by definition "I could afford it" is that I paid it, that is not entirely correct. As I said I paid it because it was a necessity for my business to ensure that I did not have time away that was unscheduled. The money would have been better used in the business. I accept that many others cant afford private cover but if I'd relied solely on the NHS then not only would I have lost out if I couldn't work, so would the employees who would possibly have lost their jobs had the business had to close.

As it turned out I used the private cover a number of times even having a hip replacement a week before Christmas so that I could recuperate over the Christmas break, something I couldn't have done at almost any other time.

However you could afford it by definition, as you could have not had it and waited with the NHS like anyone else

If you add up the actual costs of all the premiums plus the tax you paid does it actually pay for all the ops you have over the years? Prob doesn't even cover half so I think you have done well out of it.