Any experiences of using Model Rule K-1 Maximum Time For All or Part of Round

yandabrown

Visit site
I'm adding this here because it is more about what impacts, good and bad, people might have had from introducing this rule, rather than about the rule itself.

As a reminder for those that had forgotten :)

"If a group finishes the round [or specify number of holes] more than the starting interval behind the group in front and over [specify time, for example, 3 hours 45 minutes] from the time of starting [or specify as required], all players in the group are subject to a penalty of one stroke [or specify as required]."

I can see a number of scenarios on the 18th where this might have unintended consequences. The most obvious being what might happen if a player's ball goes into the rough and it takes 3 minutes to find it (probably not worth looking if you are all going to get a 2 shot penalty (if that is the committee's choice)). Further shenanigans regarding letting groups through might then ensue, none of which I can see speeding things up.

However, the ask is for experiences from any clubs that might have used this rule. Did it speed up play, were there any unintended consequences, have you got any lessons for others to learn?

Thanks

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought you can only give penalties if you break a rule of golf.?
Would this have to be a condition of comp?

A quick player is only as fast as the slowest player.
I would not be happy getting a penalty for another’s slow play.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought you can only give penalties if you break a rule of golf.?
Would this have to be a condition of comp?

A quick player is only as fast as the slowest player.
I would not be happy getting a penalty for another’s slow play.

It is an allowable Local Rule and is therefore covered by The Rules of Golf.

There are some players that I would absolutely refused to play with if they brought it in where I play.

Given that there are some comps in which you are allocated who you play with I would probably not enter just in case I was put them.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is an allowable Local Rule and is therefore covered by The Rules of Golf.

There are some players that I would absolutely refused to play with if they brought it in where I play.

Given that there are some comps in which you are allocated who you play with I would probably not enter just in case I was put them.
Thanks for that.

Sad state of affairs if golfers stop playing in comps because of other golfers imo.
But we just havnt dealt with slow play, there is no answer except the players themselves.

4.20 hrs yesterday for a 4bbb on a reduced length course was just a joke.