Good course south of Birmingham on m40 route ?

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good afternoon everyone ?

could someone recommend me a quality golf course that does not cost an arm and a leg south of Birmingham heading down the m40?

It is my wife’s 50th in October and have booked her in to play sunnigdale for her birthday:)

I am looking to play another course on the way down ( we are coming from Preston) but don’t want to pay mega bucks for the courses around the Sunningdale area as I am already paying a few bob for her birthday.

However unsure what you guys would recommend , Coventry was an option but we have played that a few times anf fancy something different but have no idea the further south we go.
Ideally do not want to pay more than £70 per head if that helps.

Thanks in advance for your help and take care Matt x

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure what kind of thing you're after, but I'd be looking at Frilford Heath or the Oxfordshire. Enjoyed both when I played that area a few years back, not sure if things have changed though.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Courses nearby the M40/ M5 that are worth a go - short deviation for some!

Blackwell Golf Club - top 100
Kings Norton
Bromsgrove Golf centre - really nice track

Cheap and cheerful -

Lickey Hills (muni) great scenery though!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Would recommend kings Norton if you can get in, mate of mine’s a member, it has 3 x 9 hole loops which offers a good variety.

The belfry’s on your route-ish. Think you’d get the PGA within budget.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Some good suggestions above: thinking about proximity to M40

I'd echo Frilford Heath - choice of 3 courses, will be in good nick - easy access - leave M40 at Oxford Junt 9, A34 south then A420 to Swindon. (Drains well if we have a wet Autumn!!! Although just seen the green fee.. might be over budget, which surprised me!)

Additional thought about The Oxfordshire. Very close to M40 8a or thereabouts - it's cheaper in October too... and bit different from the usual

Last edited:

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Not played much around there but Blackwell was amazing in 1988 and supposed to still be pretty special these days, may be a bit pricey though

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some good suggestions above: thinking about proximity to M40

I'd echo Frilford Heath - choice of 3 courses, will be in good nick - easy access - leave M40 at Oxford Junt 9, A34 south then A420 to Swindon. (Drains well if we have a wet Autumn!!! Although just seen the green fee.. might be over budget, which surprised me!)

Additional thought about The Oxfordshire. Very close to M40 8a or thereabouts - it's cheaper in October too... and bit different from the usual

cant say id rush to play the Oxfordshire in October, every chance you get battered by the elements and can be a slog at that time of year

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Blackwell would be main one for me.

Ladbroke Park and Copt Heath are both South Birmingham just off M40. I'd personally put Bromsgrove as a nice course but in the cheap and cheerful category rather than a specific stop off and play.

Tadmarton down M40 closer to Banbury and Leamington Spa which is by Warwick/Stratford both nice but not South Birmingham.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Blackwell would be main one for me.

Ladbroke Park and Copt Heath are both South Birmingham just off M40. I'd personally put Bromsgrove as a nice course but in the cheap and cheerful category rather than a specific stop off and play.

Tadmarton down M40 closer to Banbury and Leamington Spa which is by Warwick/Stratford both nice but not South Birmingham.

op asked for "south of Birmingham" not south Birmingham hence some of the courses mentioned

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
not south of Birmingham but only heard good things about Sandwell Park, J1 of the M5, and then 100yards further down the A41, in budget and about half way despite a couple of mile detour

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Suspect Frilford may push the budget.
As Tadmarton and Studley Wood have been mentioned I'll chuck in Heythrop Park also - could treat the good lady to afternoon tea in the manor after ?