Golf's Most Iconic Landmarks

• Thread starter Deleted member 27823
  • Start date

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
St Enodoc church in the middle of the golf course. Sir John Betjamin is buried there. That reminds me I need to go and play the course again.

There is an iconic marker at Princes where Laddie Lucas crash landed his Spitfire duruing WW2. Henry Longhust quote that he had 'driven out of bounds again' included in the inscription. Lump to your throat time when you read the marker.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Well, locally iconic, is Cleadon Chimney next to my course. It is visible for miles around and also from the sea. My father was a master mariner & he said that it was a navigation aid when ploughing the North Sea. I would imagine that Hitler knew about it too. Here's what the interweb says about it:

“The Cleadon Water Tower is one of the largest and oldest chimneys in the region. The tower was part of the old pumping station and the main reason for the construction was due to a cholera outbreak and the subsequent concerns about water quality throughout the region, as well as the country. Rapid industrialisation resulting in squalid and unsanitary conditions caused such outbreaks, therefore resulting in similar constructions in the 19th Century. The tower itself was designed by Thomas Hawksley and was built alongside the works between 1859 and 1862. The chimney provided the venting for the boilers and also the exhaust point for other elements of the pumping station. It was designed to look like an Italian campanile bell tower, which shows that even functional architecture was always designed with aesthetics in mind, back in the 19th Century.”

Attachments

• SSGC.jpg
    SSGC.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 8

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The 1st at Machrihanish might well be iconic as a golf hole. But that's not what the OP asked.

Is hitting over the beach not iconic? My mistake then, please accept my apologies for thinking that the beach at Machrihanish golf club was an iconic landmark in golf.

🤔

Reactions: Val
D

Deleted member 15344

I thought the thread was iconic “landmarks”

Machrihanish is a great opening hole and when people talk about opening holes it’s always up there but it’s not an “iconic landmark” by any stretch