Golf's Most Iconic Landmarks

• Thread starter Deleted member 27823
  • Start date

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
Not sure I agree with that. Lots of people might recognise they are St Andrews bunkers but probably wouldn't know which was which.
Agreed - well pretty much. Road hole is the only one of those that is widely known imo and would be a 'tough but nothing special' on any other hole or green!
Spectacles is the only non-St Andrews hazard that gets near 'icon' status for me. Though the entire hole could be 'iconic' if describing Royal Troon's 8th!
The bunker names on the Old Course are part of the mystique! You can't walk past Hell Bunker without a grin that you are walking past!
Or wonder where your picnic lunch is if you can't!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think there is nice, there is impressive and there is iconic. The number of truly iconic landmarks in golf is very small, probably counted on one hand.

There have been some nice pictures posted but most, me definitely, couldn't name most of them.

Skytot

Visit site
1st time I saw this was yesterday on Peter Finch YouTube channel, I know it’s all about opinions but if I ask my pals tomorrow I bet barely anyone would know this hole / venue

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But an icon to (or of) what! The tournament is compelling viewing, but 'the idiots' aren't! Perhaps LIV could create something similar, but thankfully the shotgun start precludes it!

Its instantly recognisable to any fan of golf and widely recognised as that hole with the stadium around it to many with little or no interest in golf.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe not a golfing landmark, but in a way it is as this specific view is I suggest instantly recognisable to every watcher of 1970s/early 80s TV Golf - and so in its own way absolutely iconic.

CB9892C3-125F-46B2-8170-03E2617B9AC8.jpeg

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No

Not to me

Don't think so

Sorry 😢
In that case I guess that you never watched what little golf there was on TV in the 70s and early 80s...and indeed may not know the golf course and the hills and glen (that's a clue) behind, and perhaps the glen is the landmark that for many on here will trigger fond TV and great 'golfer watching' memories.

ETA…if a building or geographic feature are allowed as landmarks (see Turnberry’s lighthouse and Alisa Craig) then why not a glen?

Last edited:

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
To each his their own.
:rolleyes: Especially considering who the OP is.
I never got to the Jigger Inn, as The Dunvegan (that mentioned earlier) is closer and similarly notable. Though I remember watching The Masters on big screen in a bar overlooking 1st & 18th (perhaps the One Under or the Golf Inn). Certainly memorable, if not iconic.

Last edited: