Golfing oop north.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
For those of you that were interested Tashyboy and three PPs went up to Northumberland and played three courses up there. On the way up we met up with man in black and 17 of his homies at the Tyneside golf club. Before I waffle a big mahoosive thanks for MIB for a fantastic day at a golf course that is gorgeous. So much so a PP said it was his fave course of the five we played. I played with Bezerk and Heavy Grebo and it was an excellent 18 holes in which I played my worst golf of the week. Most memorable moment was when Bezerk hit his tee shot which hit a tree and rolled back down the path towards us and landed about 15 yds in front of us. heavy grebo said" you have got away with that one" Bezerk said "really" I had tears rolling down my cheeks. After three attempts at a free drop with the ball rolling down vertical raised tee banking, Bezerk placed the ball on the banking at hip height and smashed the ball another 10 yd onto the tee leaving a 8" vertical divot. I nearly peed my pants.
following day off to Goswick, I won that days comp with 35 points but it just did not tick any boxes at all with any of us. It was a real disappointment.
Weds was Bamburgh, we were a bit apprehensive as one or two said it was a bit Mickey Mouse. Well I am now a lover of Disney. it was fantastic, the course was excellent and the views were just stunning and I mean stunning. Trouble is we had an Indian the night before and a few beers and were a bit tender for the first few holes. Third hole is a par five, I teed it up and pulled it massively left. It went like a soddin Exocet about 15 ft off the ground towards the maintenance shed. It hit the shed, tractor, trailer and everything else. The noise was deafening. I felt a prize pillock, got to the sheds which were empty and a grounds man pulls up in tractor, I was full of apologises. He says " your not the first and won't be the last". Why don't they have a net up. Bamburgh is a massive must for most golfers. Some of the par threes are just unbelievable.
Next day was at Alnmouth aka Foxton, it was a gorgeous gorgeous course, I played with MIB and his pal Bob and a PP. it was an excellent four and half hours golf in some of the best company watching MIB play some fantastic golf he shot 36 points after blobbing the first two. Memorable moment.
MIB saying the big hitters put there ball on the green on this long par five in two. Which he did. Me and a PP parred it and he knocked his 10 ft birdie putt in. We all loved Foxton.
Last day on the way home we called into Ripon and it was a round too far. I called them to ask for prices for four county card holders £20, booked a tee time and they said when we turned up " oops wiv told you wrong it's £24, second time this week we got it wrong" er OK, a pound saving on Internet prices. Now don't get me wrong, some of the holes especially the back in were nice. But I have a fundamental problem of finishing a hole and walking back down a fairway to get to the next hole, especially when balls are flying past you. It is hilly but nowt compared to Bamburgh but some of the holes we thought were a joke. None of us enjoyed the course. Moment of the round was when I hit a tee shot on a par three and the ball hit a tree to the right of the green. Got to the ball and the tree was hollow with my ball sat inside the tree. Close second was when a screaming drive of mine hit overhead telephone lines and dropped dead. After the five rounds we had added up our overall point scores and the results were unbelievable.

Overall points 1st, Kev and Gordon, 160 points. Avg 32
2nd Tashyboy,159 points avg 31.8
3rd Trev, 139 points avg 27.8

Overal positions.
Tyneside, 1st Kev, 2nd Gordon, 3rd Andy, 4th Trev
Goswick, 1st Andy, 2nd Gordon, 3rd Trev, 4th Kev
Bamburgh, 1st Andy & Gordon, 2nd Trev, 3rd Kev.
Alnmouth, 1st Kev, 2nd Gordon, 3rd Andy, 4th Trev.
Ripon, 1st Andy & Trev, 2nd Kev, 3rd Gordon.

one flippin point separated the top three. It was an excellent weeks golfing of which five rounds of golf and accommodation cost us £219. We will be goin oop north again. Highlights.
Bamburgh, hmmm, Foxton and Tyneside. Many thanks on here and to all who helped contribute to a fantastic week. Loads of stories to tell.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
sounds like a good time was had by all .now what about the juicy bits ,you know the stuff you left out ,the stuff that went on in the bars afterwards.:thup:

Tashyboy

Visit site
Surprised you didn't like Goswick, best course round here by a mile.
Richly I was chuffed to bits with getting 35 points for the day with a couple of blobs but it looked bland. We stood on holes not knowing where to play and not feeling excited about certain holes. One hole just melted into another. It was forgettable. But Bamburgh, every hole was differant.
When we sat down and talked about Bamburgh and how the course was designed with the geography of the land it is truly inspiring. goswick re geography is a bit lame. but I do get that people do love it coz they have members from Newcastle and Edinburgh. The fact that every train that went by blasting his horn began to irritate us.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pleased you enjoyed it Tashy. I was hoping you would like Bamburgh and Foxton as I like both and for some reasons I like it when people enjoy the same courses as me. When they don't I take it personally, silly boy. I have not played Goswick, well regarded up here but you can't force someone to like a course.

I'm pleased you posted about Ripon. I was going to play there next month, opening to a long weekend in Richmond, but following your comments I will go with Richmond itself.

You did very well with the weather. The wind is the killer up here and the lack of it would have made your week far more fun. You get protected on the parkland courses but you chose three exposed courses and they could have bitten you. Thankfully not.

Hopefully we will meet up again if you come back up here. Bamburgh and Foxton are tough to top but I'm sure we can come up with some others to add to your list to play.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Pleased you enjoyed it Tashy. I was hoping you would like Bamburgh and Foxton as I like both and for some reasons I like it when people enjoy the same courses as me. When they don't I take it personally, silly boy. I have not played Goswick, well regarded up here but you can't force someone to like a course.

I'm pleased you posted about Ripon. I was going to play there next month, opening to a long weekend in Richmond, but following your comments I will go with Richmond itself.

You did very well with the weather. The wind is the killer up here and the lack of it would have made your week far more fun. You get protected on the parkland courses but you chose three exposed courses and they could have bitten you. Thankfully not.

Hopefully we will meet up again if you come back up here. Bamburgh and Foxton are tough to top but I'm sure we can come up with some others to add to your list to play.

That last sentance is what is bringing us back next year, by a 21 hcap standard I smashed Goswick. I was happy I played well after my rubbish round at Tyneside but Tyneside left more of an impression.

We went to the driving range before we played at Goswick and all the balls were
" found" balls from the course. Anything from ad333, balatas, Dunlop, distance, soft feel. women's balls. It just seemed odd. the greens though we're fantastic as were Tynesides and they had been sanded.

Re Ripon, some holes I just did not get, There is a par four over a massive dip about 130 yd over. There is a big oak with the marker 10-15 ft to the left but the fairway goes either side. Once you are past the oak there are two massive deep
" bomb craters" in the fairway one of which is ? Fifty yd past the marker. Baghead who can drive the ball with draw said his natural shot would of been to the right of the tree but the marker pointed elsewhere. It is one of the courses you would have to play twice to get the benefit of.
Bamburgh also has blind par threes , but you can climb steps to see flags etc.
oh ah a fourball behind us. We were stood on the next tee when a tee shot hit six inch in front of pin hit flag and bounced 12 left. We were rocking but knackered after Bamburgh.
one thing I will say is that all the fairways on every course were just fantastic to play off. If our course has a problem it is that the first and second cuts around the green are sometimes putt table. The grass was so lush on all courses you were having to use wedges inches into the second cut. It may sound like the obvious but chipping and pitching in the deep 2" stuff if you found your ball became an art. Three times on differant courses the flippin ball went sideways because the grass twisted the club side ways coz I never gripped the club tighter. Something I never have a problem with at our place. Hopefully the concentration required for the five days is something I can take to our place.