Golfer's Vasculitis

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Over the last couple of years I have noticed that when I play golf in warm/hot weather my lower shins/ calfs go all inflamed, blotchy, etc etc.
i initially thought it may be something to do with non natural fibre socks but having spent 10 seconds googling my problem I found this.

Hi,

This is quite common with folks that walk long distances where their feet, socks and boots combine to create a "heat rash".

Go to any multi-day walking event in the summer and you will see it -- a red rash on the calves of many walkers. It often starts above the sock line and makes red patches and splotches up the calf. It usually doesn't itch and is believed to be heat-related, since these same walkers don't get it in cooler weather. What is it?

Common name: Golfer's Vasculitis

Ask most physicians about this common rash and they draw a blank. That is probably due to few people seeking medical help for it. The rash usually clears up in a couple of days, usually before they are able to get an doctor's appointment. At last, a paper in the Australasian Journal of Dermatology has described it and proposed naming it "golfer's vasculitis."

Causes of the Heat Leg Rash

Researchers interviewed several people with the rash and discovered that many underwent extensive allergy testing because they believed they must have been having a reaction to some chemical or plant. But it was simply an irritation of the blood vessels following prolonged exercise in the heat, such as walking for extended periods or playing 18 holes of golf.

The rash is more common in people over 50. Most walkers can't pinpoint anything new they have used that may be causing a reaction. And since so many walkers have it, they couldn't all have contacted the same irritant. The source is simply heat and age--your leg blood vessels getting irritated from the heat.

Prevention and Treatment

The research offered no treatment or prevention recommendations. It seems to occur in healthy, active people. The researchers suggest it should not be a health concern and recommend not getting allergy testing, etc.

In my non-medical experience 3-Day Walks and walking conventions, this rash appears on a vast range of walkers and commonly goes away by itself after a few days. Pampering yourself after a good long walk by taking a cool bath, sitting with your feet up, or applying cool wet towels to the rash may help relieve discomfort.

So so there we have it I am not a lizard. Someone has said the best treatment they have found was using a cream called Dermocortal. Not to sure I fancy using a hydrocortisone cream all the time but maybe natural fibre socks may help.

pompeybandit

Visit site
I too have just discovered this is the reason for the rash on my lower legs after golf. I thought I as allergic to the long grass while looking for errant balls.
Had a chuckle when I found out it also called the Disney rash.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I too have just discovered this is the reason for the rash on my lower legs after golf. I thought I as allergic to the long grass while looking for errant balls.
What is that? No matter hard how you look the ball Disney get found.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
@Tashyboy me man, Does it happen when you are wearing crocs?

Serious question
No not really, usually when the weather is hot. However if I have had long socks on in the colder months it can happen then.
I thought you was having a jest when you said Disney ras. But it’s true 😳😁👍