Golfer's Car?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
So currently driving an Octavia VRS, which I've had for more than 7 years now, but it's getting to time for a change.

Last time around it came from nowhere to be the "perfect golfers car" - diesel for economy, VRS model for -off-a-shovel, mahoosive boot (did a lot of lugging over and above golf), and taxi-driver reliability.

But I no longer need the big lugger, I rarely have a passenger or second set of clubs, and I'm struggling with a switch.

Still needs -off-a-shovel, needs to be reasonably economical but diesel is gone, obviously has to take a trolley and bag in boot.

What's my next move? *(not buying new, but as new as possible with a 20k budget)

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Audi s5. Can fit trolley and bag in there, and it'll fit the **** off a shovel criteria too!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
BMW 330 or preferably a 335 touring if you can find one.

If you don’t need an estate a 435 is a good option.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have an Audi A6 with the Biturbo diesel engine. Docile and smooth in drive, bat out of hell in Sport. Big boot and some underfloor storage for miscellaneous kit you don't use very often.

BMW 5 series should be similar sized boot.

D

Deleted member 1147

I've currently got a BMW 220 sport
It's got enough poke to be fun, and like most BMW's you can get golf clubs in the boot without taking the driver out. I just have to take at least 1 wheel off the trolley.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Just always always ALWAYS make sure all your golf equipment fits inside the boot BEFORE you buy a new car.

Speaking for a friend.

Welcome to my world....I knew the clubs would fit in the boot of my new car (just) but forgot about the trolley....whilst they both fit, I do have to remove wheels from the trolley and driver from the bag. Now just waiting for finances to allow the purchase of a CT6 trolley!!!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Welcome to my world....I knew the clubs would fit in the boot of my new car (just) but forgot about the trolley....whilst they both fit, I do have to remove wheels from the trolley and driver from the bag. Now just waiting for finances to allow the purchase of a CT6 trolley!!!
The CT6 was a game changer for me. Easily fits in the boot of the A5 coupe alongside the bag, either carry or cart bag. Get a bag for the trolley too, I suggest.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Still needs -off-a-shovel, needs to be reasonably economical

With fuel costs what they are, these two no longer go together. Plus, the faster it goes, the higher the insurance.

Smiffy will advocate Peugeot 3008 GT Line.
For £20K you will be looking at 4/5 years old and <40K miles.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've currently got a BMW 220 sport
It's got enough poke to be fun, and like most BMW's you can get golf clubs in the boot without taking the driver out. I just have to take at least 1 wheel off the trolley.

And the bonus of not having to use your indicators, being a Beamer ! ??

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Still needs ***-off-a-shovel, needs to be reasonably economical

With fuel costs what they are, these two no longer go together. Plus, the faster it goes, the higher the insurance.

Smiffy will advocate Peugeot 3008 GT Line.
For £20K you will be looking at 4/5 years old and <40K miles.

Really, it’s not as clear cut as faster = more expensive? My 535 was cheaper to insure than the XC90 I had before it. Which was glacial. And the quotes come back exactly the same for a 520.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
BB currently has an Octavia, so presumably not averse to Skoda.
The Fabia Estate is a small car with a decent boot - easily fits clubs and trolley without needing to remove wheels or driver. Will fit two trolleys and clubs with a bit of thought.

Only problem is the S-O-A-S requirement. There was a VRS version, but I think that stopped when the MK3 was introduced back in 2014. Do you REALLY need to be able to drive like a hooligan?