Golf umbrellas

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just my two pence.

Since switching from a brolly to a decent set of paclite Galvins, macwet gloves and a very good UA goretex bucket hat.

I no longer need or use a brolly as I’m totally protected. Saves the ball ache of up down brolly and looking for somewhere to stick it during windy conditions.

not for everyone I’m sure as the bucket hats are not the coolest looking garb. However I am a total convert. Much more freedom

Just to add I’ve played in some absolute downpours last few months. So the above is really combat tested.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just my two pence.

Since switching from a brolly to a decent set of paclite Galvins, macwet gloves and a very good UA goretex bucket hat.

I no longer need or use a brolly as I’m totally protected. Saves the ball ache of up down brolly and looking for somewhere to stick it during windy conditions.

not for everyone I’m sure as the bucket hats are not the coolest looking garb. However I am a total convert. Much more freedom

Just to add I’ve played in some absolute downpours last few months. So the above is really combat tested.
Well you just put it in the umbrella holder on your trolley?

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I carry pal.

To be honest. Having owned a few trolleys in the past, only one or two of them have survived a good gust of wind.

I see plenty of trolleys resembling the Cutty Sark speeding down the fairway.

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Just my two pence.

Same here. I've had umbrellas in the past but up here, rain and wind usually come together so I don't bother about the brolly and for me it's just too much faff. So I just go for the full waterproof gear.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tried this but the trolley arm was too low so I either had to crouch under it to see out or walk at full, short, height and not be able to see beyond 2-3m. I took it off in the end.

A bit like Robster, rain tends to come with wind here so rarely use a brolley. Only for intense summer/tropical bursts where it goes mad for 5-10 minutes. Otherwise I do what tuggles does, minus the bucket hat which I still can't bring myself to buy :LOL:

In answer to the question, don't buy cheap. Bins around golf courses are full of cheap, broken brollys. I can't help more than that, sorry.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tried this but the trolley arm was too low so I either had to crouch under it to see out or walk at full, short, height and not be able to see beyond 2-3m. I took it off in the end.

A bit like Robster, rain tends to come with wind here so rarely use a brolley. Only for intense summer/tropical bursts where it goes mad for 5-10 minutes. Otherwise I do what tuggles does, minus the bucket hat which I still can't bring myself to buy :LOL:

In answer to the question, don't buy cheap. Bins around golf courses are full of cheap, broken brollys. I can't help more than that, sorry.
How can it be too low when you're only 4 foot 4? :p Nah, my new Rovic trolley positions the umbrella at a good height to be fair, the umbrella holder screws in at the very top of the handle rather than down on the side like a lot of other trolleys. If I'm carrying and it rains then yeah I don't bother with the brolly then, too much hassle carrying two things and trying to put it down without it blowing away.

YandaB

Visit site

With respect to the bit in bold, I added a brolley extension as I had the same problem and it works a treat. The other option would be to buy a brolley with a clear section to see through.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How can it be too low when you're only 4 foot 4? :p Nah, my new Rovic trolley positions the umbrella at a good height to be fair, the umbrella holder screws in at the very top of the handle rather than down on the side like a lot of other trolleys. If I'm carrying and it rains then yeah I don't bother with the brolly then, too much hassle carrying two things and trying to put it down without it blowing away.
I have a trolley size to suit :LOL:. I have a Gokart and it does fit at the highest point of the handle. It just isn't very high.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
With respect to the bit in bold, I added a brolley extension as I had the same problem and it works a treat. The other option would be to buy a brolley with a clear section to see through.
That is a good idea although in all honesty it is often quite windy here when it rains so a brolly is not always practical. It was one of those ideas which seemed a good one but doesn't work in practice, for me, not for others I hasten to add.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
After slightly stopping under my brolly attached to my Clicgear most of the weekend, it's just hit me I could have adjusted the handle upwards ?
What a plonker ?
I go the other way with mine, I normally have the handle at the maximum height, but if you stick the umbrella on then it sort of leans forward, covering more of the bag but less of me. So I have to adjust the handle down one notch then the umbrella is perfectly level over me. (y)