Golf Things That Gladden The Heart

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do love me a bit of Google sheets

The society I play in does top 5 scores over a 10 event season for the order of merit but has it's own made up handicap system (not a fan of but have to go with the flow) for record it's 32 points stay as is. Every shot over is 0.25 off every shot under is 0.25 back (max 2 back) and cut 1 for winning

Anyways designed a sheet to auto track the lot and spit out order of merit tracking the best 5 ordering them and auto doing the handicaps (the guy doing it just wrote it down, very 1930s)

Had to fix an error of it counting top 6 scores if lowest of 5 was repeated over the season

But from next year can just let it do it's work

Much easier for the guy running it

Edit just written another formula to work off the main inputs so when we go away for the away trip every year it can track the 2 day winner for the memorial trophy 🏆

Last edited:

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Do love me a bit of Google sheets

The society I play in does top 5 scores over a 10 event season for the order of merit but has it's own made up handicap system (not a fan of but have to go with the flow) for record it's 32 points stay as is. Every shot over is 0.25 off every shot under is 0.25 back (max 2 back) and cut 1 for winning

Anyways designed a sheet to auto track the lot and spit out order of merit tracking the best 5 ordering them and auto doing the handicaps (the guy doing it just wrote it down, very 1930s)

Had to fix an error of it counting top 6 scores if lowest of 5 was repeated over the season

But from next year can just let it do it's work

Much easier for the guy running it

Edit just written another formula to work off the main inputs so when we go away for the away trip every year it can track the 2 day winner for the memorial trophy 🏆
And I thought WHS was difficult to understand!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And I thought WHS was difficult to understand!

Your not wrong. I'm very much not a fan of the system. Have voiced it aswell , said we should just use golf England handicaps for those who have them and just use this system for the people who don't. That was voted down , however I did re re raise the point in person last week and some of the nay sayers then got what I meant. They thought they would have to get golf England when they play twice a year.. I just explained people like myself would use our golf England handicaps but they could keep there's.

Mainly started because the year winner started the year on 26 but on golf England was 15.. he's finished the year on 18 in the society but has run away with it because his handicap is so incorrect. (At the away day last year he had 2 stinkers and went up 4 shots)

Least next year he won't be able to bandit unless he works hard all winter and gets single figures

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My wife and her mates had an away day on the 2010 course today.

It absolutely poured down all last night and the course was very very wet. It's tough enough in perfect conditions, but today the mist didn't really list in the Usk Valley, and the fairways were a squelch-fest.

It's in this thread because she's laughing about how unplayable it was.

I'm wondering why it was open🤣

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My wife and her mates had an away day on the 2010 course today.

It absolutely poured down all last night and the course was very very wet. It's tough enough in perfect conditions, but today the mist didn't really list in the Usk Valley, and the fairways were a squelch-fest.

It's in this thread because she's laughing about how unplayable it was.

I'm wondering why it was open🤣
Bit like H4H this year. You just have to laugh at what it is and keep going

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My course has moved to winter tees now. In the past that meant 2 tees moved and the course was still pretty long, about 6,250yds still. In winter, with minimal run, and less distance through the air, it was a bit too far. New management now, proprietary club, and they have moved a good number of tees forward. Sooooooo much better. A far better winter course, a better mix of distances. The course in summer would benefit from keeping some of the holes the same length but sadly that won't happen. Anyway, the good news is that the course is going to be much more enjoyable for the next 6 months than I thought, happy days 😊
So are you playing a different rated course for WHS purposes from forwards tees?