Golf shoes waterproof-ness

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What's going on with golf shoes now

They cost a small fortune and yet remain waterproof for all of 3 seconds

I'm on my second pair of oakleys and I have little confidence they'll remain waterproof (£85 worth)

Had wet feet yesterday, from dewy ground and there's always people on here mentioning how poorly their shoes are coping with water

If companies charge £80+ for most shoes (other than the ones that are mesh/trainer like) surely they can make them waterproof

I had a pair of gore tex running shoes that were perfectly waterproof and they were £60!!

How can a pair of £150 golf shoes not be waterproof when a pair of £60 mesh based trainers can?

Also noticing how the guarantees have started becoming "limited" and only 1 year instead of 2 like before, and that's if they even claim to be waterproof now

Moan over, what do you guys think, the only shoes I have that are even remotely waterproof are my adidas but even they're looking like failing soon

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only time mine have leaked was my old old pair of 360 v2 ltd edition, after 4 years of constant abuse.

None of my others have failed, in fact the only time my feet get wet now is when it's so wet that the water gets through from the top side (walking in long grass, or dripping from trousers).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive had Addidas shoes, leaked straight away. Nike the same.
The first pair of FJ LT were water proof for a year, the 5 or five pairs all leaked withing a few wears, including the top of the range My joy Icons that did't even keep out some light dew.

Ive had Ecco shoes for the last 4 years now, with gortex and none have let in. They are expensive but worth it, plus they are made of quality leather and really last, my classics still look the same as when i got them.

D

Deleted member 15344

Had about 10 pairs of Adidas - tour 360, adipure and adipure Z , adizero tour and none have leaked

Had a pair of FJ Synrgr and they leaked

Current DNA's haven't leaked

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I concur, had a couple of pairs of nike over the past few years and they are about as waterproof as a sponge, however I treated myself to a pair of Ecco goretex when I was in the USA 2 years a go ( bit of a bargain as I got them from an orlando outlet mall) and they are super waterproof!

they keep the water out so well they could double up as wellies :)

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Had several pairs of Adidas which all leaked after a while (pretty much got a full season out of them). Stuburts that leaked after 6 months.

Went for a set of greenjoys that lasted about 4 years before they started letting in water, but the shoe itself held up. So I just bought a pair of Sealskinz socks to go with them - shoes got wet, who cared as my feet still stayed dry. They started to really go after another 3 years so replaced them with a set of Dryjoy Tours (7 months so far and still feel like new)

Also got a pair of Footjoy Icons, but those are for nice, dry summer days.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The only time I've had issues is with my older FJ's where the leather has begun to crack. The majority I have have all been as good as gold including several pairs that are 6-7 year old. I tend to dub them on a regular basis which seems to help

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've had a pair of Nike's for about 5 years now and they are still fantastically waterproof and comfortable. But they are the old traditional style and not the trendy trainer-like ones.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have a pair of FootJoy AQL's I brought in October 2012. Still wear them and they are still waterproof.

I also have a pair of FootJoy DryJoy Tours, brought around the same time. Still Waterproof.

I can't say I've ever had a pair of FJ leak in on me.

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Had about 10 pairs of Adidas - tour 360, adipure and adipure Z , adizero tour and none have leaked

Had a pair of FJ Synrgr and they leaked

Current DNA's haven't leaked

I have these and they're the only one not to have leaked

I regularly dubbin all my shoes but they seem to let in where the sole joins the upper

I'm gonna try some ECCO's but I have size 13 feet so the size 47 they offer may not fit me :( same goes for footjoys unless I wanna spend a fortune on custom ones as that's the only way to get a 13 (again a shame as I quite like the new spikeless casuals)

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have Dryjoy tours 1 year old. Worn in all weathers. Only time my feet got wet was when I stood in a puddle deeper that the height of the shoes.

2 Pairs of Nikes and a Pair of Woodworms didn't fair quiet as well. One pair of the Nikes leaked from day one.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You've made the right choice Ecco are fantastic shoes. On to my second pair Classic made with GoreTex. Got them for a bargain £100 as they were previous years model. Do a search on line you might find some reduced, particularly with your big feet size. Unlike some other makes Ecco tend to be a wide fit too.
The great thing about Ecco shoes is they feel like slippers, so there's no wearing in period, blisters etc.

Darlophil

Club Champion
Visit site
I bought a pair of adidas shoes from Mike Ashley's stack em high sell em low emporium and just like the OP, were waterproof until I took them out the box. Probably my own fault because they were in a sale.

But then i'll have a round in dry weather, leave them in the car boot for the week and then when it comes to sunday comp time they are ringing wet. (not a nice feeling at 7am in the club car park and its a medal week)

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why does everyone accept it when shoes fail on them? If they start leaking then take them back? Why accept them and continue using them? It makes no sense at all !

Btw Darlophil, the description you gave of shoes that are wet a week after using them in dry weather probably means your car has a leak?

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My Adipures are still perfectly waterproof after two winters, including the wettest on record.
New nike lunar controls haven't been through a proper stern test yet but have been waterproof through a rainy round and wet dewy morning grass.