Golf Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is a major irritation of mine. I've stopped entering pairs comps like this at my previous clubs, too many people postponing with very little notice. Hope you've got the time left to play it otherwise i would be claiming the match.
It's ok, the other player already offered to concede if we couldn't rearrange, but we're able to play it in two weeks time. So they were nice about it at least. Irritation was more that I was looking forward to it, and building up my competitive mindset all week! Have challenged my partner to a match where loser buys lunch instead. 😆

D

Deleted member 1740

It's ok, the other player already offered to concede if we couldn't rearrange, but we're able to play it in two weeks time. So they were nice about it at least. Irritation was more that I was looking forward to it, and building up my competitive mindset all week! Have challenged my partner to a match where loser buys lunch instead. 😆
Sounds like a much better day ;)

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Despite a ban on using drivers on our range, one of the swindle members has posted a photo of how he got an orange castle tee to stay in the mat

Teebs

Visit site
The group in the medal today that teed off too quickly behind us and were waiting for us to clear the green on the 1st. They waited on the majority of shots until the 8th hole..

Golfnut1957

Visit site
The group in the medal today that teed off too quickly behind us and were waiting for us to clear the green on the 1st. They waited on the majority of shots until the 8th hole..
It bugs the living daylights out of me. I played in our Stableford final a couple of years ago, 3 in each group, one from each division. We set off bang on our time and just as the group in front were walking off the green. While we were putting I turned around and looked back and there were the next group stood waiting to play their second shots, why? You're not going anywhere.

Teebs

Visit site
It bugs the living daylights out of me. I played in our Stableford final a couple of years ago, 3 in each group, one from each division. We set off bang on our time and just as the group in front were walking off the green. While we were putting I turned around and looked back and there were the next group stood waiting to play their second shots, why? You're not going anywhere.

Yeah, we were perplexed to say the least..

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yesterday…conversation with our pro and my coach

Me…I’m struggling with my 5i, can we have a look at what I‘m not quite getting
Pro…it’s the hardest club to hit that you have in your bag
Me…but I can sometimes hit it really well, so I must be doing something or not doing something when I don’t
Pro…come along and we’ll have a look at a 5 hybrid
Me…but I want to be able to hit a 5i
Pro…golf’s a hard enough game without you making it harder for yourself when you don’t need to
Me…I suppose so…

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Me…but I can sometimes hit it really well, so I must be doing something or not doing something when I don’t
Pro…golf’s a hard enough game without you making it harder for yourself when you don’t need to
Me…I suppose so…

I find that really depressing, the difficulty of golf is what makes it so rewarding when we get it right.

I don't understand the obsession on making everything easier, surely the challenge is what brings us back?

So we score a shot or two lower with the hybrid, but we're not better golfers, we've just removed an element of difficulty and made the game easier.

D-S

Visit site
I find that really depressing, the difficulty of golf is what makes it so rewarding when we get it right.

I don't understand the obsession on making everything easier, surely the challenge is what brings us back?

So we score a shot or two lower with the hybrid, but we're not better golfers, we've just removed an element of difficulty and made the game easier.
Haven’t almost all the innovations in golf equipment, since the game became regulated, been made with the intention of making the game easier and to enable golfers to ‘score a shot or two lower’?
Otherwise we would all have to play with the exact equipment that was allowed at the time it was first regulated - anything else is just not a challenge.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Me…I suppose so…
There are merits on both sides though. I couldn't hit a 6 iron a while back so I used a 27° hybrid for a couple of years. I got a bit sick of it in the end though, it launched very high so when it was windy I frequently wouldn't get the right distance. Eventually went back to the 6 iron because it had a lower flight which was more useful. Nowadays I play a 23° hybrid instead of 5 iron, and I have a 6 iron, but the flights are still very different. Into the wind they probably go a similar distance.

Long story short, tell him you prefer the lower flight of a 5 iron then maybe he'll listen? :D

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I don't find golf to be any easier or harder than I did 50 years ago.

Any round, I hit some good shots and some poor shots.
Any year, I return some low scores (for me) and some high scores.
At the age of 12, I don't recall any marketing BS that was telling me a 3-iron was more difficult to play with than a 7-iron, so that idea never entered my head.
They wanted to sell 3-irons not discourage people from buying them.
My arms and my hands did the same thing with both clubs. The 3-iron hit it further than the 7-iron, which made golf "easier" than not having a 3-iron in the bag.
Just as a 460cc metal driver can hit it further than any smaller-headed wooden-headed driver.
Hitting it further makes golf "easier" in a way, but then your handicap comes down, which makes golf "harder" in a way.
Then they make the courses longer, by building tees further back.
Swings and roundabouts.

I don't find golf to be any easier or harder than I did 50 years ago.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Me…I suppose so…

Was he 'on the clock' as your 'paid-coach' for this discussion or as the club Pro or simply a conversation with a retailer of golf equipment :unsure: ;)

sjw

Visit site

Me…I suppose so…
That would really annoy me. If I'm paying you, you better teach me what I want to be taught. Fair enough if you make suggestions, but if I want to hit a 5 iron I already own, show me how to do it.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
That would really annoy me. If I'm paying you, you better teach me what I want to be taught. Fair enough if you make suggestions, but if I want to hit a 5 iron I already own, show me how to do it.

What if the pro was your future son-in-law and just offering the best advice he can?