Golf Random Irritations

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find that really depressing, the difficulty of golf is what makes it so rewarding when we get it right.

I don't understand the obsession on making everything easier, surely the challenge is what brings us back?

So we score a shot or two lower with the hybrid, but we're not better golfers, we've just removed an element of difficulty and made the game easier.
Bring back stymies🤣

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What if the pro was your future son-in-law and just offering the best advice he can?
You know. And so as well as advice I get the coaching for nowt…👍😘

He is saying that if it bothers me that much there is a possibly easier answer. If not then we’ll look to fix it.

And so I went onto the range with my 5i and a basket of 25 to see how bothered I am, and hit them all pretty darned well. Didn’t later transfer to the course…but hey…that’s the diff between range golf and ‘real‘ golf.

Last edited:

simsini

Visit site
Winter rules coming in on an arbitrary date, rather than when they are needed. We played with winter rules last Saturday for the first time just because it's October, even though it was 25 degrees and the course was playing as hard and fast as it has done all summer.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Playing in the wind. Losing 5 balls. And every single one of them being due to playing like an absolute plumb and nothing to do with the gale around you.

sjw

Visit site
Turning up at the range, swinging as you always do, and shanking loads of shots. Finding an adjustment that stops it - but that adjustment makes it feel like you're swinging totally differently to how you usually do! I don't want two different swings, thanks very much! I want my usual swing to work!!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Winter rules coming in on an arbitrary date, rather than when they are needed. We played with winter rules last Saturday for the first time just because it's October, even though it was 25 degrees and the course was playing as hard and fast as it has done all summer.
That's been going on for decades.
I was a member of a club in 1980 and they were on mats and preferred lies from October 1st till April 1st...regardless

sunshine

Visit site

Wasn’t really sure where to post this.
Firstly - if anyone wants to get a better look at Hindhead, worth a watch (on mute)

I’ve no idea who this chap is but he doesn’t ever stop talking 🤣

The random irritations:
- He says “decided not to get a buggy today” when buggies are literally not available.
- the way he “repairs” his pitch marks makes me nauseous. Constantly talks about how amazing the greens and course conditioning is… And just thumps at his pitch mark with his putter 😩😩😩 Forum thoughts??

Edit: 3.13, 8.00 are good examples. He even comments on it 😩
This guy is like thrush

sunshine

Visit site
That is ingenious, lot could be done to help pace of play with GPS tags especially as you can pinpoint log jams and send someone out to sort it. You can also record the pace of play of individuals over a period of time and then talk to those that are inherently and consistently slow.

My club did this for a few years. One player in each group carried around a GPS tag clipped to their bag.
Although the intentions were good, Don’t think they ever did anything with the data so a bit pointless really.

sunshine

Visit site
I've had a better idea.... on the tee box you have a winch that hoists a weight up, which is set up to take 10 minutes to fall to the bottom.

EDIT: Or even, an egg timer. I'm a doughnut.
The Berkshire has traffic lights on the 18th tee (blue).

Golfnut1957

Visit site
We have had bags of sand and seed by the 1st tee all year. They are for golfers to take out with them and fill in divots as they go round the coursed, it has had a huge positive impact on the course, but it won't be as effective from this point on.

And so from the 23rd we are going on to mats. Some will throw their hands up in horror, but I don't mind. In fact while it is compulsory from the 23rd we have been using ours for a week now. At times some of the divots I take are like the proverbial frying pan, and I am a lot more comfortable not causing that sort of damage during the winter.

Mandofred

Visit site
We have had bags of sand and seed by the 1st tee all year. They are for golfers to take out with them and fill in divots as they go round the coursed, it has had a huge positive impact on the course, but it won't be as effective from this point on.

And so from the 23rd we are going on to mats. Some will throw their hands up in horror, but I don't mind. In fact while it is compulsory from the 23rd we have been using ours for a week now. At times some of the divots I take are like the proverbial frying pan, and I am a lot more comfortable not causing that sort of damage during the winter.
I'm not much of a large divot taker.....but I still love mats. No mess.....no destruction.....good lie on the fairway every time. I love it when someone complains about a bad shot being the mats fault.

NearHull

Visit site
Ratings for King David Mobray in South Africa are incorrect on the England Golf database. My club say they cannot correct them so they have not entered ours scores for handicap. whs.support@englandgolf.org replied with "contact club"
When I first entered Portuguese scores for one of our members into his EG records, I couldn’t find the specific combination of his rounds on the EG database possibly because they were made up from 2 of the 3 nine hole courses. I was able to set them up myself ( from information provided by the player), it’s possible that your committee could do the same?