Golf Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Consistency is good but it can also be annoying. My last five rounds on my home course; 81, 83, 82, 83, 82. But I've only broken 80 once this year, whereas last year I did it six times. Not sure what specifically is holding me back, it seems to be different every time.
Still on this train - another 83 scored yesterday. It's so frustrating to consistently play to or very near to your handicap, but never better it. And I can easily pinpoint where I chucked 3 or 4 shots away as well.

In the old handicap system they used to say you weren't supposed to play to your handicap every time didn't they? I'd have probably received an adjustment from the handicap committee for this kind of consistency! 😆

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
played in a scramble yesterday and there were only 3 in my team due to a drop out. every other team had 4 but we didnt get any more shots to make up the difference.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Still on this train - another 83 scored yesterday. It's so frustrating to consistently play to or very near to your handicap, but never better it. And I can easily pinpoint where I chucked 3 or 4 shots away as well.

In the old handicap system they used to say you weren't supposed to play to your handicap every time didn't they? I'd have probably received an adjustment from the handicap committee for this kind of consistency! 😆

Are those scores off the white tees?

D

Deleted member 25172

Chipped in for an eagle on a short par 4 yesterday at Essendon. Subsequently went on to double the next hole with a 3 putt from 2 feet. Handicap protection at its very best. 🙃

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because like you I only tend to care about my scores that are off the white tees 👍
Our course is only 5550 off whites even, off yellows it's 5282 and the course ratings mean I'd probably need about 40 points just to get a cut. 😆 There's actually four holes where even the red tees are longer than the yellows due to the location/angle of the tee boxes.

sjw

Visit site
People telling me how to play the game, or how they think my last shot went wrong, presumably because they are a lower handicap than I am (even if they are not much lower).

For example, bit of a wayward drive, some tall trees in front to get out onto a par 5. I hit lob wedge and ALMOST got it over the tree, like it hit the very top and came some of the way back. After I play out low etc, guy says to me, "next time, punch out. You'll get the same distance punching out as you would with that club in your hand". Yes, maybe, but in the wrong direction! If the lob wedge had come off I would've been probably 40-50 yards further up than if I'd punched out and would have had a shot into the green. It's all about risk reward, and by this point I knew I wasn't going to win the swindle so I wasn't worried about it.

I don't offer advice to you, and I didn't ask for it. Leave it out.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
People telling me how to play the game, or how they think my last shot went wrong, presumably because they are a lower handicap than I am.

For example, bit of a wayward drive, some tall trees in front to get out onto a par 5. I hit lob wedge and ALMOST got it over the tree, like it hit the very top and came some of the way back. After I play out low etc, guy says to me, "next time, punch out. You'll get the same distance punching out as you would with that club in your hand". Yes, maybe, but in the wrong direction! If the lob wedge had come off I would've been probably 40-50 yards further up than if I'd punched out and would have had a shot into the green. It's all about risk reward, and by this point I knew I wasn't going to win the swindle so I wasn't worried about it.

Sorry for questioning your irritation but I'm struggling to picture a scenario where a punch isn't an option but a massive flop is? Really dense trees?

However it is annoying when others seem to think they know better and I just let them speak but continue to ignore their advise myself

sjw

Visit site
Sorry for questioning your irritation but I'm struggling to picture a scenario where a punch isn't an option but a massive flop is? Really dense trees?

However it is annoying when others seem to think they know better and I just let them speak but continue to ignore their advise myself
hard to describe, but the gaps between the trees at the angle I was playing would've meant almost going back on myself. The choice was play low slightly away from the hole, leaving probably 280 in, or play over the trees (not even a flop, it was a full lob wedge) to leave me probably 240 in. And I was trying to make up shots, and I was so close to pulling it off.

If I'd bladed it and got myself in real trouble, I would've happily taken the advice. However I struck it absolutely bob on and on another day, the very top branch of the tree sways the other way and I'm out.

I don't know, some people have a way of wording things that just comes across as really patronising. It wasn't as if I'd struggled the whole way around, it was one unlucky shot! :rolleyes:

sjw

Visit site
Another one from the weekend - same guy actually that made the comment... I'll put this in irritations because it kind of got my back up but it also kind of made me smile.

Par 3, 150 yards but into probably a two club wind. I'm off 18, guy is off 11. He hits seven iron, strikes it poorly by his own admission, right out of the toe, and comes up short.

I flush my 7 iron, on the green, about 20 feet from the pin. He asks me what I hit, I said 7, and he replied, "yeah you've got those Stealth irons haven't you, they're like 10 yards longer every club!"

Eh? Why do you need another excuse when you already admitted that you hit yours poorly? Seemed to hit his ego a bit I think, but I'm really not sure why as he was comfortably ahead of me by this point. Bizarre.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another one from the weekend - same guy actually that made the comment... I'll put this in irritations because it kind of got my back up but it also kind of made me smile.

Par 3, 150 yards but into probably a two club wind. I'm off 18, guy is off 11. He hits seven iron, strikes it poorly by his own admission, right out of the toe, and comes up short.

I flush my 7 iron, on the green, about 20 feet from the pin. He asks me what I hit, I said 7, and he replied, "yeah you've got those Stealth irons haven't you, they're like 10 yards longer every club!"

Eh? Why do you need another excuse when you already admitted that you hit yours poorly? Seemed to hit his ego a bit I think, but I'm really not sure why as he was comfortably ahead of me by this point. Bizarre.
Hoping to play with him next week? :ROFLMAO:. Nope, one to avoid.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Depends what he was hitting really? Imagine if he said that while wielding Ping G430 shovels or something. 😁

sjw

Visit site
Depends what he was hitting really? Imagine if he said that while wielding Ping G430 shovels or something. 😁
I'm not sure what he had, Mizuno something-or-others.

I out-drove him quite a few times as well but we'll not mention that ;)

I know that the Stealth irons are quite powerful etc - but it's not like I was lauding it over him or bragging lol
Hoping to play with him next week? :ROFLMAO:. Nope, one to avoid.
Funnily enough I did get on with him and I would play with him again :ROFLMAO: I don't think he meant anything maliciously, it's just the way it came across on those couple of occasions. Wrt my first point, he's not the only one to have offered advice unprompted, that seems to be quite common. General flow seems to be

1) I strike the ball well, they comment on a good shot
2) I hit another one poorly, they suddenly become a swing doctor and know exactly what I've done wrong (their index is only a couple better than mine)
3) I swing again exactly the same, not taking their advice at all, because they're not a coach, and hit the ball well, and they say something like, "see, you did that one much smoother" or whatever their advice was

You've literally never played with me before and we're only halfway round - I think I probably know my swing and why I mishit better than you do!

I just smile and say, "oh yeah," "oh right," "oh ok, I'll try that" etc, but really I'm just going to play my own game

Anyway, I'm done moaning now, you'll all be pleased to hear! :ROFLMAO: I reckon I've just talked my way out of any invitations to play from any GM members!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I'm not sure what he had, Mizuno something-or-others.

I out-drove him quite a few times as well but we'll not mention that ;)

I know that the Stealth irons are quite powerful etc - but it's not like I was lauding it over him or bragging lol

Funnily enough I did get on with him and I would play with him again :ROFLMAO: I don't think he meant anything maliciously, it's just the way it came across on those couple of occasions. Wrt my first point, he's not the only one to have offered advice unprompted, that seems to be quite common. General flow seems to be

1) I strike the ball well, they comment on a good shot
2) I hit another one poorly, they suddenly become a swing doctor and know exactly what I've done wrong (their index is only a couple better than mine)
3) I swing again exactly the same, not taking their advice at all, because they're not a coach, and hit the ball well, and they say something like, "see, you did that one much smoother" or whatever their advice was

You've literally never played with me before and we're only halfway round - I think I probably know my swing and why I mishit better than you do!

I just smile and say, "oh yeah," "oh right," "oh ok, I'll try that" etc, but really I'm just going to play my own game

Anyway, I'm done moaning now, you'll all be pleased to hear! :ROFLMAO: I reckon I've just talked my way out of any invitations to play from any GM members!

Ill be honest - it sounds like pretty much every golf club up and down the country.

The guys that offer the least "advice" at my club are the lowest guys.

The guys that offer the most are around that 12-15 mark. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: sjw

sjw

Visit site
Ill be honest - it sounds like pretty much every golf club up and down the country.

The guys that offer the least "advice" at my club are the lowest guys.

The guys that offer the most are around that 12-15 mark. :ROFLMAO:
It's not a pride thing at all - I have no problem asking for advice and I want to improve. However, I'm most likely to ask a qualified pro! it's the unwarranted advice that comes from people who aren't much better than me that just makes me wonder who the hell they think they are :ROFLMAO:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
That so many people seem to be unable or unwilling to accept that, unless LIV change their systems to the satisfaction of the OWGR board..

THEY'RE NOT GETTING ANY POINTS

OWGR have given their reasons and, like it or not, that's the way it is

Hey LIV....do what you want but if you want points you know what you have to do......
It's getting tiresome

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
That so many people seem to be unable or unwilling to accept that, unless LIV change their systems to the satisfaction of the OWGR board..

THEY'RE NOT GETTING ANY POINTS

OWGR have given their reasons and, like it or not, that's the way it is

Hey LIV....do what you want but if you want points you know what you have to do......
It's getting tiresome

But…. But….but…. they have some of the best golfers in the world, it’s not fair

Alan Clifford

Visit site
When I first entered Portuguese scores for one of our members into his EG records, I couldn’t find the specific combination of his rounds on the EG database possibly because they were made up from 2 of the 3 nine hole courses. I was able to set them up myself ( from information provided by the player), it’s possible that your committee could do the same?
This is what I'm up against:

"Hi Alan
The match you played will make no difference to your handicap as it was not one of your best 8
scores, so is it really worthwhile?
Adding a new course takes quite a lot of time, which I don’t have until early next week "

I am really angry. I had to explain how WHS averaging works:

"WHS handicaps are calculated using the best 8 out of the last twenty scores. If you miss
inputting a score, the process and progress the 20th and subsequent 20th scores is incorrect.
This can affect our handicap in the future.

The whole concept of WHS is to use all scores; I know traditional attitudes in England find
this hard to accept but that is the basis of the averaging system.

Please ensure that our scores are added. If you are too busy, then Clandon golf must employ
someone else to fulfil their responsibilites to their members regarding handicaps.

We will be submitting another score tomorrow. I suspect there has be a re-rating of this
course as well."

Reactions: sjw