Golf Random Irritations

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our "golf operations manager" used to be handicap sec but now works for the club (if they ever need to save money I'd be worried if I was him)

The course is closed next week for a pro comp (I only know cuz my pro is playing in it) then it's closed the following week and nobody knows why

This is the kind of thing we sort of expect the operations manager to email out

We have requested it from him before just a monthly email with what's going on , like the head greens keeper does for course updates

But nothing

His reply last time , well call up and check the diary .. erm no this is 2023 It will take 2 mins to email

That and he has booked big corporate events (which is fine) without checking the members comps . Easy to move out comps if you just talk to people

sunshine

Visit site
The course is closed next week for a pro comp (I only know cuz my pro is playing in it) then it's closed the following week and nobody knows why

Closed for the whole week for a pro comp! That would really annoy me, unless it was the Open.

Is the following week greens maintenance? Most courses do it at this time.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Closed for the whole week for a pro comp! That would really annoy me, unless it was the Open.

Is the following week greens maintenance? Most courses do it at this time.

My post wasn't clear

It's closed for 2 days next week and 2 days the week after

Well 2.5 both weeks

Your right about greens

However our gripe is not being told

I emailed the general manager and he said oh yes that's this a email should be put out this afternoon

We can book 2 weeks in advance, our argument is the golf operations manager needs to email us before booking opens of events like that .. we haven't even been told the pro event next week officially

sunshine

Visit site
My post wasn't clear

It's closed for 2 days next week and 2 days the week after

Well 2.5 both weeks

Your right about greens

However our gripe is not being told

I emailed the general manager and he said oh yes that's this a email should be put out this afternoon

We can book 2 weeks in advance, our argument is the golf operations manager needs to email us before booking opens of events like that .. we haven't even been told the pro event next week officially
He’s just lazy

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He’s just lazy

That's the thing if the club ever need to save money he is the first person surely that will be gone so he has to justify his job ...

I mean why is the general manager having to answer these things when he hired this guy to be his guy fro this

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had next Monday pencilled in for golf with family for a while. Just seen the weather report for it now and it says torrential rain and up to 45 mph winds! What the hell? At the end of July? This year's weather has been an absolute joke.
Moved this to Friday of next week. Guess what the forecast now says for Friday?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Moved this to Friday of next week. Guess what the forecast now says for Friday?

I've had a golf trip booked since June 2022 for next weekend. August sure to be great weather

Rain and gales lol

Oh well

Their normally wrong anyways will prob be sunny and calm

Also depends where you look

Accurate weather has rain both days with heavy rain the Monday

Weather channel has 40% chance both days

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Celine Boutier has just won the Evian...
She uses a Bettinardi putter
Because she's not contracted to use one Bettinardi can't name her in their congratulatory press releases......
Stupid....

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played Saturday, 143 to the middle, playing 5ish yards uphill, into a breeze and the ball above my feet, so had to choke down on the grip - if I caught my 7 iron absolutely flush, it's usually 160 but because of the factors above, thought this was perfect for the middle of the green. Of course, caught it absolutely flush and ended up 2 yards off the back with a lovely downhill & fast chip back.
I didn't manage it 😣 This game...

NeilV

Visit site
Being 20 yards short of the green on both the 2 closing par 5s and walking away with bogey on both. I'm still kicking myself 2 days later. :mad:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Our course was due to be hollow tined and sanded today and tomorrow. Because of the expected rain tomorrow all 18 holes were done today. A wise decision. However why would you put temp greens in the first cut. Why not put them on the fairways or the mown area in front of greens. They have known for months when these jobs are to be done and putting out with a wedge quite frankly is stupid Because a few hours could not be spent making a temp green area Yesterday. 🤬

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Started a bit of a crash diet for August to shed 4kg to get ready for club champs weekend and I've managed to set up a handy trigger, so every time I feel a hunger pang the phrase 'Hunger Is Good' pops into my head, works really well but I'm hearing it too often today!

sjw

Visit site
Being 20 yards short of the green on both the 2 closing par 5s and walking away with bogey on both. I'm still kicking myself 2 days later. :mad:
I went driver 8iron on our par 5 18th the other day, and was just off the back, couldn't believe it. Then I managed to double-hit my chip for a grand total of about 2 yards, and then 3 putted from about 70 feet for bogey.

I'd like to add double hits to the irritations list - I'm getting them a lot at the moment. By double hit I mean the club head hitting the ball again on the follow-through, and the ball goes 90 deg left. It's actually quite impressive lol

sjw

Visit site
Oh, another one - people just picking up balls they find in the middle of their fairway without trying to see if it belongs to anyone.

Hit two balls off a par 3 the other day, and the second one was a horrendous shank onto the next fairway, but it was right in the middle, and the fairway in question was the hole after mine. The guy was on the next tee, and blatantly saw it cross over and land, there was no way he didn't.

I didn't go and get it immediately, I went to go and play the first ball, with the intention of picking up the shanked ball when I walked literally right past it on the next hole.

He picks it up on the way past and holds it aloft triumphantly to his playing partner and just rides off with it! Couldn't believe the audacity. It was a ball I had found so I didn't chase for it, but it was a decent ball - one of those two-coloured Srixons in very good nick.