Golf Random Irritations

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
An actual golf irritation from the weekend, apart from the driver breaking, was that one of the guys I played with is a notorious ball mark cheater. He and his group never plays in any club competitions and typically just play their usual slot at the weekend. He puts his marker behind his ball fine. But when he puts his ball back, he just blatantly puts it's 2-4 inches in front of the marker. As I'm at a new club and have just managed to find a regular 4-ball to play with, I didn't want to say anything. Spoke to one of the other guys in the group and they obviously know it too but leave him be as they never play for any money or anything.

Can't wrap my head around how you can do that and not be ashamed of yourself, no matter what type of golf you're playing.

Sadly there will always be some to whom winning is more important than how they win or what they win. They just like to feel like they are better than other people and winning props up that opinion. Sometimes they do not even see it as cheating, just gaining a winning advantage. Every club I suspect has at least one. At my old club it was a chap who would always need to 'identify' his ball in the rough but used to park his trolley in front so as, as far as he thought, people could not see him improving his lie.

D

Deleted member 25172

Sadly there will always be some to whom winning is more important than how they win or what they win. They just like to feel like they are better than other people and winning props up that opinion. Sometimes they do not even see it as cheating, just gaining a winning advantage. Every club I suspect has at least one. At my old club it was a chap who would always need to 'identify' his ball in the rough but used to park his trolley in front so as, as far as he thought, people could not see him improving his lie.
Funny you mention that, as he also do do just that. Even once on the fairway when we played on Saturday. But he's not even trying to hide it. As said, they never play any club competitions or anything, and they also don't play for any money amongst themselves, so guess it doesn't really matter, but I find it hard to comprehend how ones head can work that way still.

If they suggest in the future that we play for anything, I will definitely say something.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
An actual golf irritation from the weekend, apart from the driver breaking, was that one of the guys I played with is a notorious ball mark cheater. He and his group never plays in any club competitions and typically just play their usual slot at the weekend. He puts his marker behind his ball fine. But when he puts his ball back, he just blatantly puts it's 2-4 inches in front of the marker. As I'm at a new club and have just managed to find a regular 4-ball to play with, I didn't want to say anything. Spoke to one of the other guys in the group and they obviously know it too but leave him be as they never play for any money or anything.

Can't wrap my head around how you can do that and not be ashamed of yourself, no matter what type of golf you're playing.
Such a daft thing to do. Being 3 inches nearer on a 10 foot, 15 foot putt doesn't really help you that much anyway - all he's achieved is making himself look like a prat.

D

Deleted member 25172

Such a daft thing to do. Being 3 inches nearer on a 10 foot, 15 foot putt doesn't really help you that much anyway - all he's achieved is making himself look like a prat.
No, but it sure does on those niggly 3-4 footers. Or it can do mentally at least. He does it on all putts.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've had next Monday pencilled in for golf with family for a while. Just seen the weather report for it now and it says torrential rain and up to 45 mph winds! What the hell? At the end of July? This year's weather has been an absolute joke.
This weather is not that unusual.

2 memories for me.
The last year my parents ever spent a 'summer' holiday in this country. 2 weeks in a tent at Dartmouth and from memory it rained nearly every single day it was Spain or Portugal from then onwards even though back in those days (pre package holiday days) it was a 3 day drive to the campsite

2 weeks at Butlins in Minehead with my kids and we went home on the second Wednesday the kids were so bored having done every thing on site that was indoors umpteen times.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This weather is not that unusual.

2 memories for me.
The last year my parents ever spent a 'summer' holiday in this country. 2 weeks in a tent at Dartmouth and from memory it rained nearly every single day it was Spain or Portugal from then onwards even though back in those days (pre package holiday days) it was a 3 day drive to the campsite

2 weeks at Butlins in Minehead with my kids and we went home on the second Wednesday the kids were so bored having done every thing on site that was indoors umpteen times.
The only times I expect it to rain in summer are while Glastonbury and Wimbledon are on!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only times I expect it to rain in summer are while Glastonbury and Wimbledon are on!

Living just a few miles from Glastonbury days and days of rain during that period are actually quite rare it is just that one year it was so bad it made the headlines. Mind you it only takes one day and from what I have see on the TV it can turn the place it to a mud bath.

on the other hand Wimbledon............

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Went out last night for 12 holes in the end.
Was absolutely diabolical, thats putting it politely.
Ended up feeling all arms and no hip/body rotation.
I'm hoping it's just because it's been my first game in 3 weeks I was rusty....
Have been smashing them at the range as well, typical.

venger

Visit site
The tees on our potentially drivable par 4 have been put at the back of the tee box, plus a strong head wind means it’s not reachable in one. Very annoying

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Finding out that my waterproof bag wasn't. Also waterproof jacket and trousers weren't either. I've reproofed the clothes yesterday and will be spraying my bag later if it's dried out from Sunday

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've had next Monday pencilled in for golf with family for a while. Just seen the weather report for it now and it says torrential rain and up to 45 mph winds! What the hell? At the end of July? This year's weather has been an absolute joke.
People seem to have quickly forgotten that we had a long glorious spell through most of May and June.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
People seem to have quickly forgotten that we had a long glorious spell through most of May and June.
Eh? May was mediocre, and yes we had about two or three weeks of quite warm weather in June. If that's supposed to make up for the whole of July being a write off, then, pfft. Hopefully August is decent.