Golf Random Irritations

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not taking the mick but I'm wondering how that's possible - surely when you glance at the target before striking it you're practically looking over your left shoulder? 😄 My pre-shot routine starts with me looking from directly behind the ball up towards the target so I get an idea of what the line is. You could try that and maybe pick a point on that line a yard or two in front of the ball to line up to when you step in? For me it helps that I mostly fade everything so I'm typically aligning five to ten yards left of target depending on the length of club - so I don't feel like it has to be exact.
It feels as though I am pointing at the target, my feet and my shoulders. It's only afterwards that I realise I am pointing right, always right. It's a bit of tiredness, not concentrating etc. Not taking the care to make sure I am actually pointing the right way, not going off my eye alone.

I'm not alone in doing this, I see it with other golfers that I play with. Not all the time, but it is not uncommon.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It feels as though I am pointing at the target, my feet and my shoulders. It's only afterwards that I realise I am pointing right, always right. It's a bit of tiredness, not concentrating etc. Not taking the care to make sure I am actually pointing the right way, not going off my eye alone.

I'm not alone in doing this, I see it with other golfers that I play with. Not all the time, but it is not uncommon.
I have a mate who is a bit like that, but he typically draws/hooks it on a bad one so I figured he was accounting for that. Aren't most people lining up one side or the other based on their typical shot shape?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a mate who is a bit like that, but he typically draws/hooks it on a bad one so I figured he was accounting for that. Aren't most people lining up one side or the other based on their typical shot shape?
If they do it consistently then yes. I played with a guy, a guest, on Saturday who set up like this every time but that was deliberate. I'm talking more about people who usually set up straight but every so often do as I do, effectively close off to the target. If it is a casual round, they do that and it goes straight right, then I'll ask them if they did it deliberately or not. If not then I'll point out that it went where they were aiming, their set up was pointing that way. I tell them that I do the same, it's an empathetic moment :LOL: .

For those that do this, we are always grateful to be told as it is something that creeps in without you realising.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Alignment it’s got my head in a frazzle

I’d be single figures no bother if I could use an alignment stick for every shot 😂
I have this problem,I find lining the ball up with something just in front of the ball helps.
Place a tee in front of the ball when practicing.

D

Deleted member 25172

I knew someone that had trouble lining up his shots and what he used to do was to lay his club across his chest to line himself up, always wondered if this was legal when he used this method in competitions.
I believe that has been covered somewhere here and that it's perfectly fine. I do it occasionally myself. You can't put the club down on the ground though to align yourself. On this subject, one of my friends have developed a quite severe case of OCD. And the more pressure he's under, say club championship for example, the worse it gets. He sets himself up, then he puts the club across his knees, then his hips and then his shoulders to make sure he's aligned. He sets the club down behind the ball, aaaaaand - then we go again. He can easily do this 3-4 times, in particular off the tee. It can get rather tiresome, so guess this is now a random golf irritation.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site

yeah that is my tendency as well

double edge sword as well practice round on a night i can trust the feeling of feeling open but come the next comp round it can be slices everywhere

D

Deleted member 29109

4 rounds in a row now of now being able to score on the front 9, then shooting 1 or 2 over on the back.

Over the 4 rounds I have played the back 9 an average of 7 shots better. Grrrrr

Teebs

Visit site
Played with 2 really fast players over recent days, one on Sunday and one on Monday.

I'm all for 'ready golf' to keep the speed up, but pretty much teeing off before your PPs have gotten to the tee is a bit much

Coincidence that both players on each day played poorly, dunno.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
4 rounds in a row now of now being able to score on the front 9, then shooting 1 or 2 over on the back.

Over the 4 rounds I have played the back 9 an average of 7 shots better. Grrrrr
Same as myself, only it's either or with me. Good front 9 bad back 9 or vice versa.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are probably right.

But I do try and get a decent warmup in. Strangely I seem to be playing the first two holes ok.
I was just saying what everyone always says. I don't really warm-up either. The fact is, getting there 40 minutes earlier to whack 25 balls in a net is boring. Who the hell wants to do that? My warm-up now is just doing about 20 practise swings and trying to do them as fast as possible. 😄

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I was just saying what everyone always says. I don't really warm-up either. The fact is, getting there 40 minutes earlier to whack 25 balls in a net is boring. Who the hell wants to do that? My warm-up now is just doing about 20 practise swings and trying to do them as fast as possible. 😄

Out of curiosity is it the time thing or the net thing
i.e would it make a difference if it was a large outdoor practice area off grass (like we saw at The Open On The Range) or just 'no' to arriving 40 minutes earlier