Golf Random Irritations

sjw

Visit site

sunshine

Visit site
I hit a putt today that went very clearly up the slope.

I've seen this on greens with grain. Not usually a problem in the UK but they talk about it on PGA Tour coverage all the time. I was flummoxed when I played golf in Hawaii and had to think about slope + wind + grain when putting. Too many variables!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've seen this on greens with grain. Not usually a problem in the UK but they talk about it on PGA Tour coverage all the time. I was flummoxed when I played golf in Hawaii and had to think about slope + wind + grain when putting. Too many variables!
If I ever play somewhere like that I'll probably just say sod that and aim straight at the hole every time. :LOL:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If I ever play somewhere like that I'll probably just say sod that and aim straight at the hole every time. :LOL:

Trouble is, even if it’s a straight 10ft putt the same putt from either side of the hole can easily be +/- a couple of feet depending on if it’s with/against the grain o_O

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Trouble is, even if it’s a straight 10ft putt the same putt from either side of the hole can easily be +/- a couple of feet depending on if it’s with/against the grain o_O
Yeah I didn't say I'd be holing them. I can't even read a normal green so I'd give up pretty quickly with that.

D

Deleted member 25172

Struggling with putting and it’s as much between the ears as it is anything else. I feel like I hit so many good putts and hole so many good ones during a course of a round, but also have several 3 putts which scramble my brain.

I can watch someone putt on the exact same line as me, it’ll break right to left. I then putt it on the correct line and it goes the other way. If I hit a putt firm, it lips out - then I hit it less firm and it wobbles and loses it’s line.

I hit a putt today that went very clearly up the slope. I hit a few practice putts after on the same line - all seemed to break normally, the opposite way to what my putt had done.

It’s additionally frustrating as I’m playing some very good stuff tee to green.
I feel you. I'm absolutely useless at putting. I do practice, and on the practice green my stats are reasonable (yeah, I've created a sheet to track 3, 5 and 8 footers), but set my foot on the course and I just crumble. I must've missed 4-5 putts inside 4ft yesterday. I can just feel my whole body tense up as I'm getting over the ball. Difference between you and I is that I'm useless tee to green as well. :ROFLMAO:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I feel you. I'm absolutely useless at putting. I do practice, and on the practice green my stats are reasonable (yeah, I've created a sheet to track 3, 5 and 8 footers), but set my foot on the course and I just crumble. I must've missed 4-5 putts inside 4ft yesterday. I can just feel my whole body tense up as I'm getting over the ball. Difference between you and I is that I'm useless tee to green as well. :ROFLMAO:

Golf really is kicking you in the nuts atm isn't it mate!

D

Deleted member 25172

Golf really is kicking you in the nuts atm isn't it mate!
My nuts and my wallet. 6 lost balls on top of that. 2 of them brand new Srixon Z-Stars that lasted for a whole, erm, shot, until they were firmly placed into the wild. I hope whoever finds them appreciate that I've already marked them up nicely with a line around the ball and dots so they don't have to use a sharpie themselves. Customer service is in my DNA.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
My nuts and my wallet. 6 lost balls on top of that. 2 of them brand new Srixon Z-Stars that lasted for a whole, erm, shot, until they were firmly placed into the wild. I hope whoever finds them appreciate that I've already marked them up nicely with a line around the ball and dots so they don't have to use a sharpie themselves. Customer service is in my DNA.
I was having a bad run yesterday, couldn't find tee shot so chucked a 'pick up' ball down. Up near the green one guy I was playing with observed it was the same brand, model and number as his. So while they were putting out I went to town with a sharpie. 1st shot with the marked up ball, lost! 🤣

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
someone on our swindle has complained that a new comer won on sunday with 46 points and didnt have a handicap.

the 5 handicapper has just openly stated that he never submits scores at our place as he doesn't want it to mess him up in any opens in plays in! he won the Royal Balckheath Open last week and walked away with a brand new Scotty putter!

i have called him out and can't wait to see his reply

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
someone on our swindle has complained that a new comer won on sunday with 46 points and didnt have a handicap.

the 5 handicapper has just openly stated that he never submits scores at our place as he doesn't want it to mess him up in any opens in plays in! he won the Royal Balckheath Open last week and walked away with a brand new Scotty putter!

I've never understood why swindles have their own handicaps since whs. Surely if everyone put in every time they played in the swindle handicaps would stay fresh and be fair?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never understood why swindles have their own handicaps since whs. Surely if everyone put in every time they played in the swindle handicaps would stay fresh and be fair?
I don't think they operate on the same system. If they do have their own handicaps it normally means you get cut a few shots for winning so the same people don't take the money every week.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I've never understood why swindles have their own handicaps since whs. Surely if everyone put in every time they played in the swindle

I don't think they operate on the same system. If they do have their own handicaps it normally means you get cut a few shots for winning so the same people don't take the money every week.
I think the organiser cuts 0.5 of a shot for every 2 stableford points over par people score

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site

i can't stop laughing at his reply;

"protecting handicap, no
not wanting to put cards in on a pitch and putt, yes"

well i certainly won't be playing against him in any comps

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Alignment it’s got my head in a frazzle

I’d be single figures no bother if I could use an alignment stick for every shot 😂

I knew someone that had trouble lining up his shots and what he used to do was to lay his club across his chest to line himself up, always wondered if this was legal when he used this method in competitions.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Alignment it’s got my head in a frazzle

I’d be single figures no bother if I could use an alignment stick for every shot 😂
I wouldn't be single figures but I can certainly relate to this. It would be great if someone could line me up before each shot. I'll have a number of shots each round where after I've hit it I realise my feet and body are pointing 45 degrees right of the target instead of at it 🙄

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't be single figures but I can certainly relate to this. It would be great if someone could line me up before each shot. I'll have a number of shots each round where after I've hit it I realise my feet and body are pointing 45 degrees right of the target instead of at it 🙄
Not taking the mick but I'm wondering how that's possible - surely when you glance at the target before striking it you're practically looking over your left shoulder? 😄 My pre-shot routine starts with me looking from directly behind the ball up towards the target so I get an idea of what the line is. You could try that and maybe pick a point on that line a yard or two in front of the ball to line up to when you step in? For me it helps that I mostly fade everything so I'm typically aligning five to ten yards left of target depending on the length of club - so I don't feel like it has to be exact.