Golf Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh, another one - people just picking up balls they find in the middle of their fairway without trying to see if it belongs to anyone.

Hit two balls off a par 3 the other day, and the second one was a horrendous shank onto the next fairway, but it was right in the middle, and the fairway in question was the hole after mine. The guy was on the next tee, and blatantly saw it cross over and land, there was no way he didn't.

I didn't go and get it immediately, I went to go and play the first ball, with the intention of picking up the shanked ball when I walked literally right past it on the next hole.

He picks it up on the way past and holds it aloft triumphantly to his playing partner and just rides off with it! Couldn't believe the audacity. It was a ball I had found so I didn't chase for it, but it was a decent ball - one of those two-coloured Srixons in very good nick.
You think that's bad, it happened to me in a betterball match the other month. I was only just in the trees as well, in between two holes. A kid playing with their dad playing up the adjacent hole just nicked the ball - not sure if they hit it mistakenly or just nicked it but we found two other balls lying in that general area. My partner jogged up and asked them and got my ball back. Unfortunately none of us saw them do it so we couldn't identify where the ball had been, so I was out of that hole! Which we then lost! Some people are just clueless.

sjw

Visit site
You think that's bad, it happened to me in a betterball match the other month. I was only just in the trees as well, in between two holes. A kid playing with their dad playing up the adjacent hole just nicked the ball - not sure if they hit it mistakenly or just nicked it but we found two other balls lying in that general area. My partner jogged up and asked them and got my ball back. Unfortunately none of us saw them do it so we couldn't identify where the ball had been, so I was out of that hole! Which we then lost! Some people are just clueless.
Played with a guy the other week who sliced his tee shot a fairway over. Went to find his ball and there were a few there, and the group playing that hole were clueless. One of them, despite knowing he was playing a "Callway", went to play my partner's Wilson. My partner calls out to him, "is that a Wilson?" and the guy picks it up - not just enough to identify it, I mean properly just picks it up - and says, "oh yeah it is, do you want it back" and went to throw it back! My partner was like, "erm, you can just leave it there, thanks."

A few months back a similar thing happened to me, except they weren't trying to play my ball, they just wanted to nick it! I said "is that a <blah> with green dots", they said yes, is it yours? Like no I just managed to guess 🙄 And then he said "oh, I'll just put it back here for you then" in a manner that suggested he thought he was doing me a favour! Just leave it alone!!

I've played another persons ball before and not realised until the next tee box and I've felt really bad. I've also picked up balls in the first cut before, but only if I'm basically the last one out on the course and it's getting dark and I assume they just couldn't see it. But in the middle of the afternoon in the fairway? FOH

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played with a guy the other week who sliced his tee shot a fairway over. Went to find his ball and there were a few there, and the group playing that hole were clueless. One of them, despite knowing he was playing a "Callway", went to play my partner's Wilson. My partner calls out to him, "is that a Wilson?" and the guy picks it up - not just enough to identify it, I mean properly just picks it up - and says, "oh yeah it is, do you want it back" and went to throw it back! My partner was like, "erm, you can just leave it there, thanks."

A few months back a similar thing happened to me, except they weren't trying to play my ball, they just wanted to nick it! I said "is that a <blah> with green dots", they said yes, is it yours? Like no I just managed to guess 🙄 And then he said "oh, I'll just put it back here for you then" in a manner that suggested he thought he was doing me a favour! Just leave it alone!!

I've played another persons ball before and not realised until the next tee box and I've felt really bad. I've also picked up balls in the first cut before, but only if I'm basically the last one out on the course and it's getting dark and I assume they just couldn't see it. But in the middle of the afternoon in the fairway? FOH
People just don't have an ounce of common sense. If you find a ball in the open, surely you assume that someone probably hasn't lost it there and it might still be in play. I'd immediately start looking for where it had come from so I could shout over to them.

Not to mention another irritation you've touched upon there. When looking for a ball "what ball are we looking?" "Titleist." Great, cheers, that narrows it right down. :rolleyes:

Reactions: sjw
D

Deleted member 29109

I always go by the rule of a ball can’t be considered lost by another player until it’s come to rest 🤣

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The range is good. Shop leaves a little to be desired to be honest (although the shoe section is good). It could be a lot better..

the 9 hole course is ok as well, as is the cafe. Last time I was there, they had a deal on where you got range balls, a round on the 9 hole course and a full english breakfast for something daft like £12.

sjw

Visit site
The concept of "strokes gained" against the field when the whole point of golf is to go round in fewer strokes. And it's given as a positive number = good!

I like the premise but I think there should have been more thought put into the naming!

sunshine

Visit site

Based on your last couple of posts, were you playing a public course? To be expected that a course targeting the general public will have more occasional players who aren't as familiar with etiquette of the game.

sjw

Visit site
Based on your last couple of posts, were you playing a public course? To be expected that a course targeting the general public will have more occasional players who aren't as familiar with etiquette of the game.
Oh yeah, anyone can go and play. Thought that "don't pick up the ball" would be pretty self-explanatory but obviously not

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh, another one - people just picking up balls they find in the middle of their fairway without trying to see if it belongs to anyone.

Hit two balls off a par 3 the other day, and the second one was a horrendous shank onto the next fairway, but it was right in the middle, and the fairway in question was the hole after mine. The guy was on the next tee, and blatantly saw it cross over and land, there was no way he didn't.

I didn't go and get it immediately, I went to go and play the first ball, with the intention of picking up the shanked ball when I walked literally right past it on the next hole.

He picks it up on the way past and holds it aloft triumphantly to his playing partner and just rides off with it! Couldn't believe the audacity. It was a ball I had found so I didn't chase for it, but it was a decent ball - one of those two-coloured Srixons in very good nick.

I remember once having a big arguement with one guy who picked up and pocketed my ball and my playing partners as were walking towards them. He denied doing it for quite a while until I insisted he turn out his right hand trouser pocket , with one of 'those looks' on my face.

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m playing in my first club champs on Sunday, granted it’s only the mid handicap trophy but still my first two round comp.
Teeing off at 8.20 and the next round is mid afternoon, can’t wait 😬

Hopefully the weather is better for Sunday

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rain. And lots of it. I'm off this week and had wall to wall golf booked in my head. Got out yesterday with a good mate, but have cancelled today. It's like a monsoon out there. Where the wife is a member has been shut for two days already this week and is shut again today.

RichA

Visit site
I once walked across Dartmoor for 8 hours in biblical rain wearing 20-year old walking boots, a 10-year old waterproof jacket and over-trousers that cost £5 from Millets. Not a drop of water penetrated the outer shell of any of them.
This morning I played a round of golf in weather that varied between light drizzle and moderate rain. I was wearing waterproof golf boots, waterproof socks, waterproof golf trousers, waterproof golf jacket and a waterproof hat - all of which are relatively new. Within 2 hours I was soaked through to skin level.
When applied to clothing, why does the word "waterproof" seem to be negated by the word "golf"?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I once walked across Dartmoor for 8 hours in biblical rain wearing 20-year old walking boots, a 10-year old waterproof jacket and over-trousers that cost £5 from Millets. Not a drop of water penetrated the outer shell of any of them.
This morning I played a round of golf in weather that varied between light drizzle and moderate rain. I was wearing waterproof golf boots, waterproof socks, waterproof golf trousers, waterproof golf jacket and a waterproof hat - all of which are relatively new. Within 2 hours I was soaked through to skin level.
When applied to clothing, why does the word "waterproof" seem to be negated by the word "golf"?
I can only guess it's because they need to be flexible, so you can swing a club. Maybe that flexibility weakens the waterproofness a bit??

I just a bought a lovely new thin waterproof jacket (as required for this summer apparently) from Mountain Warehouse today but I don't think I could wear it for golf - has very little stretch if any.

RichA

Visit site
I can only guess it's because they need to be flexible, so you can swing a club. Maybe that flexibility weakens the waterproofness a bit??

I just a bought a lovely new thin waterproof jacket (as required for this summer apparently) from Mountain Warehouse today but I don't think I could wear it for golf - has very little stretch if any.
I was thinking the same thing but then realised that my ancient Salomon waterproof trail running shoes have taken way more of a beating than any of the golf shoes I've owned that have leaked like sieves.