Golf Random Irritations

Mandofred

Visit site
Folk who never put their pound in the pot for going in the Captain's Charity Bunker. :cautious:
We have the same for hitting a ball in the beck. If I put in a pound every time I did that I'd be broke.....but I do need to put a couple of Pounds in every once in a while.....

Mandofred

Visit site
Our guy could peel an orange in his pocket!:whistle:
Our 9th (par 3, usually about 140yds) and 18th (short par 4) greens are located just on the other side of the beck. The 10th and the 1st also involve the beck. If everybody paid a Pound every time they went in the water....the charities could join the billionaires club. A side view to the 18th is below. The 9th is basically the same to get on the green.
69_243.jpg

NearHull

Visit site
Our 9th (par 3, usually about 140yds) and 18th (short par 4) greens are located just on the other side of the beck. The 10th and the 1st also involve the beck. If everybody paid a Pound every time they went in the water....the charities could join the billionaires club. A side view to the 18th is below. The 9th is basically the same to get on the green.
69_243.jpg
I’ve played it but I just can’t name the course , it must be in god’s county .

Mandofred

Visit site
I’ve played it but I just can’t name the course , it must be in god’s county .
Oakdale in Harrogate. Just switched from Knaresborough+Ripon, I got tired of driving. Although....since this is an irritation thread.....Oakdale is losing my interest with how many blocked out periods they have. You have to work well ahead of time to get the tee times we are after (around 10:30)...tons and tons of visiting parties, comps, etc. take over huge amounts of time/days. It must be a good money-maker, but Knaresborough is starting to look better again. We are going to try to get a reciprocal tee time at Scarcroft on Wed since that day is pretty well blocked out with a mid week medal. If I lived a little closer to Scarcroft I'd switch, but a 30 minute drive is harsh for me.

NearHull

Visit site
Oakdale in Harrogate. Just switched from Knaresborough+Ripon, I got tired of driving. Although....since this is an irritation thread.....Oakdale is losing my interest with how many blocked out periods they have. You have to work well ahead of time to get the tee times we are after (around 10:30)...tons and tons of visiting parties, comps, etc. take over huge amounts of time/days. It must be a good money-maker, but Knaresborough is starting to look better again. We are going to try to get a reciprocal tee time at Scarcroft on Wed since that day is pretty well blocked out with a mid week medal. If I lived a little closer to Scarcroft I'd switch, but a 30 minute drive is harsh for me.

of course! Oakdale!
Scarcroft, Knaresborough also good courses , I play in their Opens - what’s the irritation? I don’t live near enough!

Mandofred

Visit site
of course! Oakdale!
Scarcroft, Knaresborough also good courses , I play in their Opens - what’s the irritation? I don’t live near enough!
The only irritation for me at the moment is the number of blocked booking for "other" things. Visiting parties, comps, etc etc. I think I saw next month that they may have 3 medals...huh? It's not just later in the day, bookings are in the mornings as well. There are many many many of them.
Heading to Scarcroft again on Wed since it is on our reciprocal list.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
After 12 hours completing all the tasks around the house that I had set out for today I wandered down to the club for a few holes. On the 2nd my thumb split, you know those tiny little splits in the skin that absolutely knack?

My tape was in my cart bag and so every shot was painful and irritating.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On the burns/becks/streams front...

I do get a bit irritated when I hit my ball into one, and even though I might well know pretty precisely where it went in there is so much 'nature' gubbins in it that finding a ball is almost impossible, and one found is usually only as a stroke of luck. And yes, I know I shouldn't have hit it in the burn in the first place. Doesn't stop it being a bit irritating though...especially if I don't find mine and a fellow competitor also in the burn has the luck to find his :rolleyes:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I do get a bit irritated when I hit my ball into one, and even though I might well know pretty precisely where it went in there is so much 'nature' gubbins in it that finding a ball is almost impossible, and one found is usually only as a stroke of luck. And yes, I know I shouldn't have hit it in the burn in the first place. Doesn't stop it being a bit irritating though...especially if I don't find mine and a fellow competitor also in the burn has the luck to find his :rolleyes:

I've a similar one
There's one wee stream on a hole I play quite often, shallow and clear so it'd be easily recoverable but... the 'current' means that where it went in wont be where the ball actually is :(

HeftyHacker

Visit site

At my old course there was a stream running though and it always used to wash the balls away. My mate was once rummaging around in the undergrowth for his ball and came across a little pool where all these balls were eventually deposited. Went in looking for one and came out with about 30!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At my old course there was a stream running though and it always used to wash the balls away. My mate was once rummaging around in the undergrowth for his ball and came across a little pool where all these balls were eventually deposited. Went in looking for one and came out with about 30!
I can accept this sort of thing and my own example when the burn/stream is way offline and I should not be hitting shots anywhere near it…but when the burn runs across or close down the side of a fairway then I do feel that the club should at least attempt to keep the bottom of the burn fairly clear, The penalty should be for going in the stream and having to take a drop out, but lost ball and S&D seems a double penalty.