Golf Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Decided to enter the board comp that's on tomorrow, playing in drawn times which I haven't done for ages. Immediately regretted it when I see I've been given an 8:30 start and my four-ball includes a 41 and a 30 handicapper. So could be a slow one. And it looks like it's gonna be raining. Fun.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you know your ball has gone in a penalty area you don't have to find it - you can drop out with another ball. No need for S&D.
I was thinking that. Even if the ball has been swept away by the current, if you and another player saw it go in there then that'd be enough to be virtually certain, surely?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Was caddying for some Japanese guys yesterday who were all struggling to get out of the pot bunkers. An older guy and his son and two nephews, asked the 4 caddy who was the best bunker player to show them how to play out of the pot bunkers so the other 3 all volunteered me, as the lowest handicap. Asked then to just chuck a couple of balls in the bunker to demonstrate... thinned the first one 70 yards out into the gorse as there was no sand under the ball??

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Arranging knockout matches

In the club 4bbb knockout we drew a pair we know, saw one them about 3 days after the draw was published ( 5 weeks ago) and he said he'd check with his partner about dates, and call me. We saw him pretty much once a week since, and got exactly the same response each time, so no phone call, text or email. Today is the last day to play and my partner saw the guys partner today who said that his partner has tried phoning me and I don't pick up, and he's also emailed me - this is a complete lie.

The partner said to phone me and get me to come and play today. Not only have we pair both played 8 games in the last 13 days but I was due an eye injection at 9.30 this morning which won't recover until tomorrow morning when I shall be driving to London and having a very late night and, also playing another knockout at 9 am Monday morning

I've no doubt they will try and claim the game! I think that I shall not enter again

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Arranging knockout matches

In the club 4bbb knockout we drew a pair we know, saw one them about 3 days after the draw was published ( 5 weeks ago) and he said he'd check with his partner about dates, and call me. We saw him pretty much once a week since, and got exactly the same response each time, so no phone call, text or email. Today is the last day to play and my partner saw the guys partner today who said that his partner has tried phoning me and I don't pick up, and he's also emailed me - this is a complete lie.

The partner said to phone me and get me to come and play today. Not only have we pair both played 8 games in the last 13 days but I was due an eye injection at 9.30 this morning which won't recover until tomorrow morning when I shall be driving to London and having a very late night and, also playing another knockout at 9 am Monday morning

I've no doubt they will try and claim the game! I think that I shall not enter again
It's the reason I stopped entering these sort of comps years ago.
Too much hassle getting 2 people together for a singles let alone 4 for a doubles...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Absolutely!

This is in the main section of the club, in the vets section we've had very little trouble arranging matches. I know people will say that they aren't working etc etc but, in fact, as the vets start at 60 years old and many, like me, are still working.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
We had a street party today with a raffle and the pick of the prizes was a 4-ball at a great course near us (circa £360 in value).

Missed out on the winning number by 2 strips of tickets, and then won the subsequent prize of 2 giant packs of kids bubbles. At least the kids will be happy I suppose

sjw

Visit site
I was thinking that. Even if the ball has been swept away by the current, if you and another player saw it go in there then that'd be enough to be virtually certain, surely?

Yeah, that doesn't count as a lost ball. Otherwise we'd have no water penalty areas!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This could be on random irritations but it currently relates to golf clubs so on here it goes. People entering into a bidding war on Ebay with days still to go. Why? Don't bid until the last day, ideally go into a frenzy at the end :D. Certainly don't push the price up with 2, 3, 4 days to go :rolleyes:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Decided to enter the board comp that's on tomorrow, playing in drawn times which I haven't done for ages. Immediately regretted it when I see I've been given an 8:30 start and my four-ball includes a 41 and a 30 handicapper. So could be a slow one. And it looks like it's gonna be raining. Fun.
You never know...you mght rip round with your playing companions coming off course each with 45pts...that would have you smiling ;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You never know...you mght rip round with your playing companions coming off course each with 45pts...that would have you smiling ;)
As it turned out, I managed 34 points, the 30 capper (getting 29 shots in the comp) got 29 points, and the 41 capper (40 shots) only managed 21 points, so you really couldn't call him a bandit on this occasion, ha. The fourth member was receiving 19 shots but must not have even handed his card in since I don't see him on the leaderboard - I know he didn't score well anyway. So it was a slow one - about 4 hours 20 minutes I think (including letting one three-ball through which took a while as all three of them missed the fairway, sod's law) - but they were all nice fellers so I still enjoyed it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A truly innovative format of golf tournament where Men and Women are competing on the same course for the same money getting little to no publicity because of Greg "look at me I'm an arse" Norman.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played at Dumfries and County yesterday with 2 guys who were friends. Really helpful, good craic, pleasant, plenty in common, great game.

Played today @ Southerness, great track, with another 2 who knew each other and had travelled together. A 6 and a 10 handicpper. Totally different, no conversation between holes. Lost ground. I told them 3 times we were losing ground and the final time his response was,” we re Seniors, they should know we will be slow”! Part of the reason they were slow was they continued to putt out when they could not score in a Stableford.

Also a bit of a ” know all” and looked shocked when I told him there is no such thing now as relief from rabbit scraping. Perhaps he thought he would just try it on playing with a higher handicap.

Mandofred

Visit site
How come every time I play and I think that this card is going to knock off a counting score.....so my handicap is going up.....I play better. Played like crap lately....card going in today would knock off a counting card.....but of course I play better today......at least I won some money.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Playing a foursome knockout yesterday evening, great match against the same two guys we beat in the 4BBB.

All square stood on the 18th tee, I had honour and proceeded to pull my tee shot into a ditch/treeline never to be seen again:mad:
Why did I have to save my worst shot of the day to the end where there was no chance of rescuing the situation.