Golf Random Irritations

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If I'd gone by the weather forecasts I'd now be on the green of my 3rd hole getting absolutely drenched.
All my apps said less than 10% chance of rain before 9am.
Its been hosing it down for nearly 40 minutes.
I saw it coming on a rain radar app - one wonders why the meteorologists missed it...

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If I'd gone by the weather forecasts I'd now be on the green of my 3rd hole getting absolutely drenched.
I saw it coming on a rain radar app - one wonders why the meteorologists missed it...

I had the opposite on Friday. The headlines said torrential rain and thunder. We had not a drop of rain the whole way round.

I checked the weather radar before going and it showed patches of heavy rain that were on the edge of where we were playing. We gambled and for once, the forcast was spot on.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

Same for us yesterday. Forecast was awful for Saturday on Friday but then changed to be clear until 4pm. We tee'd off at 1030, by the 2nd the heavens had opened. Wasnt until the last 3 holes the rain stopped. I do wonder how they get it so wrong.

D

Deleted member 18588

Probably due to my age and having started golf over 50 years ago but, for whatever reason, Stableford scoring for all, even casual rounds really grates my gears.

Don't even get me started on "blobs"!

In truth I am not really interested in strangers' scores and, therefore, tend to rely upon gross strokeplay figures as I can place those in context for the people I know and play with.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Probably due to my age and having started golf over 50 years ago but, for whatever reason, Stableford scoring for all, even casual rounds really grates my gears.

In truth I am not really interested in strangers' scores and, therefore, tend to rely upon gross strokeplay figures as I can place those in context for the people I know and play with.
So where do you stand on " I scored 35 points, with 2 blobs". No!!!! you scored 35 points, full stop, end of!!!!!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So where do you stand on " I scored 35 points, with 2 blobs". No!!!! you scored 35 points, full stop, end of!!!!!!
Is that really any different to someone saying "I shot 80, with two birdies"? No, you shot 80, full stop. :rolleyes: It's called embellishment.

One of the reasons we do this in my group of friends is because one is much higher handicap than the rest of us, so if we just went on gross scores, he would pretty much just be last every single week. It's nice to total up the points as well so we can actually appreciate that he's played well (or not).

D

Deleted member 18588

Is that really any different to someone saying "I shot 80, with two birdies"? No, you shot 80, full stop. :rolleyes: It's called embellishment.

Well gross birdies might be considered more interesting than two "blobs" and more worthy of comment.

Fair enough for those that use Stableford but I remain unconvinced.

To me golf is and always has been all about getting the ball in the hole in the fewest possible strokes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well gross birdies might be considered more interesting than two "blobs" and more worthy of comment.

Fair enough for those that use Stableford but I remain unconvinced.

To me golf issues and always has been all about getting the ball in the hole in the fewest possible strokes.
Ok, but people still say "I shot 75, with a triple" for example. The point is convey that they got a respectable score despite making a hash of one/two holes. Or "I shot 79 despite having 39 putts." Again - it's simply embellishment. The forum would be duller if everyone just posted one-liners with nothing but cold facts. :LOL:

D

Deleted member 18588

Ok, but people still say "I shot 75, with a triple" for example. The point is convey that they got a respectable score despite making a hash of one/two holes. Or "I shot 79 despite having 39 putts." Again - it's simply embellishment. The forum would be duller if everyone just posted one-liners with nothing but cold facts. :LOL:

Not to this miserable old git, it wouldn't.

I stopped viewing "I played today" threads a long time ago.

Now I only have to put up with it at the Club if I make the mistake of asking the wrong person how he got on.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

I'm with you here. The only time I play stableford is with my FiL. When I have to reacquaint myself with the scoring and thinking about which holes shots are applied. Then remember to write it all on a card and compare scores after 9 holes.

Many people I know that play stableford during casual rounds really struggle when playing a medal. Well of course you do if you only ever play whilst holding your stableford comfort blanket.

In addition. People who tell you their nett score.

Q-What did you shoot?
A-68.
Q-Really? You shot 4 under gross?
A-Well. Actually it was 113 gross.

You shot 113 you plank ?.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
"What differential did you achieve today?"

"14.7 what about you?"

"Thanks for asking, I got 6.4"

"Is that in your best 8?"

"Sure is. It replaces an 8.2 that was the highest of my best 8."

"How much of a cut..........." etc

How irritating are those conversations going to be? :(:(:(

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Red golf balls :rolleyes: inter club league match on Sunday and one of the opposition guys used one, none of our fourball could see it once it dropped out of the sky, could barely even find it in the first cut, why keep using a red ball (not the same one surprisingly) when no one else in the group could see the flamin thing?!?!?

Bit late to this, but if it's the opposition why worry.(y)

PS Blue are EXACTLY THE SAME:rolleyes: