Golf Random Irritations

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our place not allowing four balls out until after 12 noon. Today we had a small society out in front of us.....in four balls. Yup I phoned the shop, despite the wife saying what's the point and me replying that if I had complained afterwards they'd just have said why didn't you ring us, so I did. Did they do anything? Did they....nutz. Got past one group, but not the second. Strangely, they all hit the ball well, I watched, but OMG did they faff about on tees and greens.:confused::confused:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
An 87 today replaced an 88 in my set of 8 from 20 and I went up 0.1 ? It's all very confusing. And I've got to try and explain it to the wife!!!!!!!!

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
An 87 today replaced an 88 in my set of 8 from 20 and I went up 0.1 ? It's all very confusing. And I've got to try and explain it to the wife!!!!!!!!
You’re looking at the wrong number to understand that. The number that affects your handicap index is the score differential. (Which takes account of your gross score, course rating, slope rating and any PCC!).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm with you here. The only time I play stableford is with my FiL. When I have to reacquaint myself with the scoring and thinking about which holes shots are applied. Then remember to write it all on a card and compare scores after 9 holes.

Many people I know that play stableford during casual rounds really struggle when playing a medal. Well of course you do if you only ever play whilst holding your stableford comfort blanket.

In addition. People who tell you their nett score.

Q-What did you shoot?
A-68.
Q-Really? You shot 4 under gross?
A-Well. Actually it was 113 gross.

You shot 113 you plank ?.
Stableford doesn't affect the way I play. But then again, there's only three holes I don't get a shot on, and they're all par 3s so you wouldn't play them any different than trying to stick it on the green anyway. :LOL: But regardless I try and play it exactly the same way - play each hole in the least shots you can. ??‍♂️

I do agree with you on people who tell you their net score without actually saying it's the net score though. "I shot 75" - "wow, that's amazing!" - "Not really - 7 over handicap" - "Wait... what??" :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
"What differential did you achieve today?"

"14.7 what about you?"

"Thanks for asking, I got 6.4"

"Is that in your best 8?"

"Sure is. It replaces an 8.2 that was the highest of my best 8."

"How much of a cut..........." etc

How irritating are those conversations going to be? :(:(:(
I can honestly say I will never have a conversation like that with anyone. It would be more like:
"I shot 84 today"
"Is that in your best 8?"
"**** knows"

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I do agree with you on people who tell you their net score without actually saying it's the net score though. "I shot 75" - "wow, that's amazing!" - "Not really - 7 over handicap" - "Wait... what??" :LOL:

My head would give up if I tried to do it as gross scores. I just cant keep track of ever changing handicaps for dozens of other players I might chat to post round

If it’s a non-comp round & I see you in the clubhouse after your round I don’t care what you scored. I do care how you played i.e good, well, indifferent, poor, shocker, personal best etc etc and I care if you enjoyed your game
If it’s after a comp then your gross score is meaningless to me. I have no idea what your handicap is, so your ‘gross 85’ could put you in 1st or last place. Do I congratulate you or commiserate with you :unsure:

If i ask someone after a comp round then stop faffing and just gimmie the 'comp result' for gawds sake :sneaky:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My head would give up if I tried to do it as gross scores. I just cant keep track of ever changing handicaps for dozens of other players I might chat to post round

If it’s a non-comp round & I see you in the clubhouse after your round I don’t care what you scored. I do care how you played i.e good, well, indifferent, poor, shocker, personal best etc etc and I care if you enjoyed your game
If it’s after a comp then your gross score is meaningless to me. I have no idea what your handicap is, so your ‘gross 85’ could put you in 1st or last place. Do I congratulate you or commiserate with you :unsure:

If i ask someone after a comp round then stop faffing and just gimmie the 'comp result' for gawds sake :sneaky:
Yeah that's fine if they say "net 71" or "2 over net" or something. We were on about when people just say "I shot 74" and you would assume they meant gross if they didn't say "net".

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yeah that's fine if they say "net 71" or "2 over net" or something. We were on about when people just say "I shot 74" and you would assume they meant gross if they didn't say "net".

Not sure I follow. If I hear 74 does it matter whether that's their net or gross?

If they said 74 after a comp round then I expect to be told their result
If they said 74 after a social round then I don't care if its net or gross. (for social golf I ask how they played not what they scored)

If I'm the one being asked after a medal comp I usually give both in my answer (cos I know folks have different preferences) :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure I follow. If I hear 74 does it matter whether that's their net or gross?

If they said 74 after a comp round then I expect to be told their result
If they said 74 after a social round then I don't care if its net or gross. (for sicial golf anyway I ask how they played not what they scored)

If I'm the one being asked after a medal comp I usually give both in my answer (cos I know folks have different preferences) :LOL:
If someone says to me "I shot 74" and I didn't know their handicap, I would assume they meant gross if not stated. Wouldn't everyone? Unless they said 59 or something daft.

And yes I normally do the same. e.g. "85 - two over net - not too bad". (y)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If someone says to me "I shot 74" and I didn't know their handicap, I would assume they meant gross if not stated. Wouldn't everyone? Unless they said 59 or something daft.

And yes I normally do the same. e.g. "85 - two over net - not too bad". (y)

For me I cant see what harm is done by the 'mistake' of assuming its a gross score when in fact its net
That person has nothing to gain (or lose) from me by an accidental or deliberate attempt to mislead me into thinking their gross was actually their net. I don't think any differently about them either way

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me I cant see what harm is done by the 'mistake' of assuming its a gross score when in fact its net
That person has nothing to gain (or lose) from me by an accidental or deliberate attempt to mislead me into thinking their gross was actually their net. I don't think any differently about them either way
Well, it's just a simple misunderstanding I guess, or the feeling of being misled. 75 gross is very good in my book, for most players. 75 net is not so good.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Well, it's just a simple misunderstanding I guess, or the feeling of being misled. 75 gross is very good in my book, for most players. 75 net is not so good.

Yeah we'll all have different random irritations. I felt more misled when I ordered chicken curry at the clubhouse yesterday and they didn't say it was on the bone! :mad:

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Same here, couldn't believe how short my back swing is but still out drive most of my regular partners.
A mate secretly filmed me hitting a tee shot yesterday, I know I have a short backswing but seeing it now it looks like not even half a backswing ?
Had my best driving days in a long time though ?