Golf Random Irritations

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last Wednesday I was on my bank and I've noticed for ages I have 2 direct debits for my club. One always takes the cash the other was set up never has. So I cancelled it (been member since Feb 2020)

Tuesday just gone I got this email out the blue

"It has been brought to my attention that you have cancelled your DD for your 7 Day Golf & Country Club Membership

We hope this is just an oversight and look forward to hearing from you ASAP to authorise the reactivation of your DD.

Please Note: The contract you agreed and signed states:

Golf Membership is an initial commitment from the date of joining until the following 1st July and annually thereafter to the 1st July each year, in the chosen category of membership.

Please email me to authorise reactivation of your Direct Debit.

Many Thanks"

Tone got my back up a bit.. but just pointed out 2 direct debits so cancelled the unused. The person emailed back

"There must be some sort of mix up, the account you have cancelled is the one that we draw the subs from.?"

So I just simply said I'm postive that what I've done is correct. If it doesn't come out on the 5th I'll make a payment and set one up again

What happens today? Ofc it goes out as normal so send a screen shot to the email

Not even bothered to reply

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
People who put their names down for meetings, don't turn up and leave the organiser out of pocket to the tune of £75.00

Outrageous Rob, give him a couple more days and if he doesn't do the right thing I'll happily chip in. There's no way you should stand the cost. Funny that recently he was running a meet, I wonder how he'd feel if people didn't pay?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
No it is just for the weekends. But that's when I mostly play.
I was a member at Grims Dyke for 10 years. The system they are reinstating has been in use for a very long time, since way before I was a member.

There is method in the apparent madness. The three tee start at weekends means that everyone gathers in the clubhouse around lunchtime and it creates a superb social atmosphere. This is part of the ethos of the club - everyone knows everyone else and a good time is had by all.

I appreciate that if getting up early at the weekend isn't your thing, it may not suit your requirements. If you just want to play golf at whatever time you wish, perhaps it's not the club for you. But give it a chance before making any lasting decisions.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was a member at Grims Dyke for 10 years. The system they are reinstating has been in use for a very long time, since way before I was a member.

There is method in the apparent madness. The three tee start at weekends means that everyone gathers in the clubhouse around lunchtime and it creates a superb social atmosphere. This is part of the ethos of the club - everyone knows everyone else and a good time is had by all.

I appreciate that if getting up early at the weekend isn't your thing, it may not suit your requirements. If you just want to play golf at whatever time you wish, perhaps it's not the club for you. But give it a chance before making any lasting decisions.
All of that is great, but I don't see why it has to prevent some members to play at their chosen times. They've been doing a two tee start for the last few weeks, (1st and 10th) with all tee times available, so just keep doing that?? It's not like I don't want to be social or play with people, I enjoy that side of it too. I just feel that if you have a full membership you should be able to play whenever.

And it is the club for me, because I couldn't afford the others. :LOL:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
All of that is great, but I don't see why it has to prevent some members to play at their chosen times. They've been doing a two tee start for the last few weeks, (1st and 10th) with all tee times available, so just keep doing that?? It's not like I don't want to be social or play with people, I enjoy that side of it too. I just feel that if you have a full membership you should be able to play whenever.
The three tee start means that after about 75 minutes people will arrive at the next starting tee and would crash into whoever is trying to start there.

If you'd like to have a two tee start at the weekends, you could put in a motion at the next AGM. You could even call an EGM if you get enough members to support you. The old guard will vehemently oppose it (they oppose any suggested change as a matter of principle), but you may find there are enough newer members who would support the idea.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The three tee start means that after about 75 minutes people will arrive at the next starting tee and would crash into whoever is trying to start there.

If you'd like to have a two tee start at the weekends, you could put in a motion at the next AGM. You could even call an EGM if you get enough members to support you. The old guard will vehemently oppose it (they oppose any suggested change as a matter of principle), but you may find there are enough newer members who would support the idea.
I just don't know if I'm "that guy". More likely I'll just turn up at 11 anyway and take my chances.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Outrageous Rob, give him a couple more days and if he doesn't do the right thing I'll happily chip in. There's no way you should stand the cost. Funny that recently he was running a meet, I wonder how he'd feel if people didn't pay?
I'm in for a fiver.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I just don't know if I'm "that guy". More likely I'll just turn up at 11 anyway and take my chances.
These systems have been worked out over years of play and, probably, work reasonably well
Whether they work for the majority is another matter.
We have over 100 members (out of 650) who have never used the old system as they joined during Covid times.
We used it for about 3 weeks before 1st lockdown came so our experience is limited.
Depending on the demographic of those members there may be a majority now that would prefer the "security" of a booked time and not having to turn up and hope for the best.
Modern life leaves less free time for many and if that "many" are in the majority then things might have to change.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Paid for next day delivery but ordered too late and no delivery at the weekend…..silly school boy error ?‍♂️. Now it’s a case of purchasing a sleeve at the pro shop, oh well

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Due to several kitchen and bar staff being "pinged" by the App our clubhouse and halfway house has closed this evening until further notice....
Understandable but irritating nonetheless

Miller

Visit site
People posting photos of juicy clubs in the "look what I bought thread".

I don't need a Scotty Cameron, my ancient Odyssey 2-ball with the scabby-looking missing white spot is good enough....

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I've managed to get away with buying an M4 and a set of HB Launcher irons without alerting SWMBO, I may not get away with a new putter.

Click and collect is your friend. Working from home has it's benefits, but the downside is the wife being at home too and seeing the deliveries.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Today's Charity Day at our club being cancelled due to the weather ................................ IN AUGUST !!!!!
I was really revved up for this. :mad: