Golf Random Irritations

D

Deleted member 16999

I'm not one for rants, but there's always a first...

Played a new course with a group of friends, really enjoyable, club staff and members very welcoming. Then in the afternoon we got held up by a four ball.

At first we patiently waited behind them, including standing on the tee of a par 3 for almost 15 minutes :eek:. After 6 holes of this, by which time we had lost 40 minutes, it became clear we were going to run out of daylight, because they had no intention of letting us through, even tough the course ahead was completely empty. We stood waiting on a par 3 for another 10 minutes, waving and calling out to try to get their attention. We watched as one of the group took six shots to chip her ball up on to the green, she must have had a dozen shots at least on that par 3. Finally we walked over and politely asked to play through. Suddenly they sped up, an we were able to play the final 6 holes behind them at a sensible pace and finish before sunset. Result! Or so I thought...

We then had a nice meal in the clubhouse, when suddenly a bloke turns up, saying his wife has got home upset because we had told her to hurry up. So he's changed out of his slippers and driven up to the club to confront us. When we explained that his wife's group had held us up for 6 holes, he told us that his wife is a member who pays a subscription, so she is entitled to hold us up because we were just visitors. As visitors we should count ourselves lucky to be on the course and shouldn't disturb members who pay a subscription.

Some people eh?
Was he a member?

D

Deleted member 16999

I got 2 x 2s in our Open on Sunday - but as no funds have appeared in my Pro Shop account it looks like there wasn't a 2s sweep running when I thought that there was. Hopes of ££s in my account raised - but looking to be dashed...drats...!
Did you pay into a 2’s pot or just hand over your cash?

We don’t have a 2’s pot for cash in our Opens, anyone with a 2 gets a sleeve of 3 Balls.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Did you pay into a 2’s pot or just hand over your cash?

We don’t have a 2’s pot for cash in our Opens, anyone with a 2 gets a sleeve of 3 Balls.
I handed over the cash for the day - I wasn't thinking about a 2s club until a popped the first one in :) But I am sure that I read there was one...We don't do sleeves of balls- know that some clubs do.

However as the club has published a list of 2s for each of the two rounds I cling to hope.

My irritation is (with me) that I got 2x2s on a day that there wasn't one :) Just typical.

Still - delighted to have got 2x2s and played to the buffer over 36 holes in very difficult conditions with our course set up just about as hard as we can make it and a strong wind from the 'wrong' (i.e unusual) direction. And the greens were as zippy as we can get them at this time of year. And that was pretty zippy.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, by your logic I can drink in a pub until 3 in the morning with 50 people crammed in as it is ok as your son is going playing golf. If he can break the law, why can’t I?

Son? What son? I never mentioned a son? I was posting how stupid the rule about not crossing a board to play golf (safely), when, as you say, people are drinking in pubs till all hours, yes I know of at least one, or being chucked out at 10pm and then continuing to party in the streets. We've all seen the videos of this happening in our cities. So why they hell do some get on their high horses over one person backing a man going to play golf, yet don't rant on about all other things that are happening? Good god it's only one person I'm backing to play bluddy golf. Others don't bat an eyelid over thousands bopping around full of booze in mass sing songs. Honestly. You want to give your head a wobble.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Son? What son? I never mentioned a son? I was posting how stupid the rule about not crossing a board to play golf (safely), when, as you say, people are drinking in pubs till all hours, yes I know of at least one, or being chucked out at 10pm and then continuing to party in the streets. We've all seen the videos of this happening in our cities. So why they hell do some get on their high horses over one person backing a man going to play golf, yet don't rant on about all other things that are happening? Good god it's only one person I'm backing to play bluddy golf. Others don't bat an eyelid over thousands bopping around full of booze in mass sing songs. Honestly. You want to give your head a wobble.

The point is you can't use other people breaking a law as justification for your mate breaking a law. We all make our own decisions, we can't shift responsibility onto other people or other groups.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
My putting going to absolute pot in the last couple of weeks, well, it's either that or it's become more obvious now I'm getting strokes gained stats via myRoundPro (currently compared to a 10 handicap). Today for instance shot +10 with +0.98 driving, +3.61 approach, +2.02 short and -4.80 putting. It's shocking, and it's becoming an obvious pattern. My last 5 rounds have resulted in -4.80, -3.46, -4.85, -8.12 :ROFLMAO: and -1.06 SG Putting. Some putting lessons and some serious practice over winter required I think.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
My putting going to absolute pot in the last couple of weeks, well, it's either that or it's become more obvious now I'm getting strokes gained stats via myRoundPro (currently compared to a 10 handicap). Today for instance shot +10 with +0.98 driving, +3.61 approach, +2.02 short and -4.80 putting. It's shocking, and it's becoming an obvious pattern. My last 5 rounds have resulted in -4.80, -3.46, -4.85, -8.12 :ROFLMAO: and -1.06 SG Putting. Some putting lessons and some serious practice over winter required I think.

Do you make sure that it’s only counting putts from on the green?

I use the app to and noticed that it used to default a putt to the green, meaning That your approach stat would be improved whilst putting ate worse....

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you make sure that it’s only counting putts from on the green?

I use the app to and noticed that it used to default a putt to the green, meaning That your approach stat would be improved whilst putting ate worse....

Yeah, I tend to spend a bit of time moving putts around if I can remember I hit one from off the green for example, but you might be right. However looking at the pure numbers - 37 putts today, 38 on Tues, 38 on Monday, just not good enough and feels like it's getting worse :LOL:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I dont recall it as "backing a man going to play golf" you were actually advocating that he should break the law in doing so - subtle but important difference

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Losing any sense of timing and any idea of how to swing two days before a major board event (with all that wet and windy weather to come). Deep joy. Add in the fact they have tined and sanded the greens and they are running about 3 (well 8) on the stimp. That'll be a bit of a change from recent weeks

Mandofred

Visit site
Waiting...hoping....that the club cancels todays medal. Already been out for my morning walk....it's wet. If I end up driving to the course and then they cancel it.....grrrrr.

Mandofred

Visit site
Waiting...hoping....that the club cancels todays medal. Already been out for my morning walk....it's wet. If I end up driving to the course and then they cancel it.....grrrrr.
OK, I take part of it back. Got 18 holes in....only the last hole was seriously flooded, a couple others a fair bit. The swing is magically gone again.......jeez, I wish I knew where I put it when this happens. Net 76, but I've been playing a lot better than that lately.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Since joint Princes, my only really issue has been playing in the comps. Joint as Covid hit meant that social groups were pretty hard to get into. this month I’ve finally managed to get a few games and earn myself a few 0.1’s.

Was lined up to play the Medal with 2 new guys this morning at 0940. Get to the club at 0840. Have a quick warm up then go in to register and see if I can find em. Pro says they’d just headed out. Get out on to practice green and don’t recognise anyone (had chatted via FB). Turns out that they’d seen two mates on the green with a 0920 tee time and rushed out with them.

Unfortunately of the people on the practice green. Only one was in the comp and he was taking out a new guy at 1100 (too late for me to get back for school run).

Decide to play 18 as the weather was decent and go round In a nett 67! So instead of a cut I’m gonna get another 0.1 as officially an NR as the comp had been cut off!
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Only comfort I’m taking is that I got let through by them early doors and saw one of em duff into a nice pot bunker. Oh and it’s now started to rain and they’re probably an hour from the clubhouse.

Nett 68 won!

:mad::mad::mad:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You know when you play with a young lad of 17 who is really full of himself (encouraged by his parents) - simply blasts the ball as hard as he can every shot - hits it miles - but plays off 19 as he is all over the place. And he thinks he's the 'look at what I can do' bees-knees - as we traipse all over the shop to places you've never been hunting for his shots.

And you cannot but harbour suspicions that there is more to his play than just a load of youthful vigour and stupidity...with the ball striking power of a low SF player - and a handicap of 19 - just waiting for the right competition...

Sometimes my patience, acceptance and 'he's just a stupid laddie' is stretched. And I have to admit to at one point saying 'you'd be dangerous if you had any idea what you were doing'...'...and don't stand there please when I am teeing off ' (actually I had to make that request twice or three times - he's just a stupid laddie :) )

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Found Honma golf ball yesterday walking the dog, was intrigued as i'd never seen on before or though they sold balls in the UK, was going to give it a try...only to find on the web that AG sell them for £15 a dozen:cry::LOL: