Golf Random Irritations

Swango1980

Visit site
Nothing for the Committee to resolve. He offered you three dates within the rules. Your options are:
1. Decline the tree dates & give him the match
2. Play on the Saturday, not the end of the world you have to withdraw from something else
3. Take a day's holiday & play midweek.

As stated above, hard to understand someone entering this kind of competition when they're completely unable to play mid week.
Actually, on reflection:

Although conditions state the person at top of draw should contact other and offer 3 dates, including weekends and weekdays, there is nothing to day the other player will be automatically disqualified if they do not accept any of them.

The reason it is there is to ensure the parties at least get in touch to try and sirt fixture. Therefore if neither player does so, then there are grounds for Committee to question the top player in first instance, when deciding who to put through.

Committee now written to both of us to explain our positions, and if nothing resolved my next week, Committee will make a final decision

Swango1980

Visit site
Just speaking personally. Pain in the bum to play these things on a weekend, If, when I worked, I hadn't been able to take a random day / afternoon off, I wouldn't have bothered.
There is a voice of a Senior (not saying you are). Can play all week stuff the weekend and anyone who works. This competition is for the main club Mens section btw, not Seniors section.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Actually, on reflection:

Although conditions state the person at top of draw should contact other and offer 3 dates, including weekends and weekdays, there is nothing to day the other player will be automatically disqualified if they do not accept any of them.

The reason it is there is to ensure the parties at least get in touch to try and sirt fixture. Therefore if neither player does so, then there are grounds for Committee to question the top player in first instance, when deciding who to put through.

Committee now written to both of us to explain our positions, and if nothing resolved my next week, Committee will make a final decision
or DQ the both of you.... thats what happens at ours

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Actually, on reflection:

Seriously! Is suggestion in post #1700 not an option at your place?

sunshine

Visit site
We know one is a scramble comp but assuming one of the other two comps is stokeplay, just get into that group and play your match against him alongside the strokeplay comp, sorted (y)

Think this is against the rules and would result in a DQ in both comps.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Think this is against the rules and would result in a DQ in both comps.

Used to be but all good now, just need to be aware of what to do when the rules of each format differ (which rule has priority so to speak)

edit; prob best to get committee on board in advance but not even sure that's a 'must do'

not something for every round but where other options don't appear to resolve the situation, why not

sunshine

Visit site
To the OP:

ok, this guys is being awkward. Sounds like a proper bell end, especially his own made up rules. I've come across a few people like this when I played at a public course.

But why don't you just play on the Saturday instead of the scramble comp? Why is this a problem for you? Looks like you're trying to be awkward too.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The argument that he wants to play in October in case the weather is bad in November is the one that sounds daft to me.

What will he do if he gets through round one, insist that he won't play round two until April as the weather might be bad in December, January, February and March?
The weather is already trash, that ship has sailed! And yeah I thought the same as you, is he not planning to play the next round if he wins?

Swango1980

Visit site
Seriously! Is suggestion in post #1700 not an option at your place?
I know in past under rules you couldn't play 2 formats at once, but believe rules allow it now, although not recommended? However, he didn't offer those other 2 dates anyway, so seems he is only content to sacrifice scramble

Swango1980

Visit site
To the OP:

ok, this guys is being awkward. Sounds like a proper bell end, especially his own made up rules. I've come across a few people like this when I played at a public course.

But why don't you just play on the Saturday instead of the scramble comp? Why is this a problem for you? Looks like you're trying to be awkward too.
As you said, he is being awkward. After giving him so many options in November and december, should I simply bow down to his request. At end of day, I am busy that day (playing scramble). Presumably if I had other plans, such as being on holiday that weekend, that would be acceptable in turning his request down. I'd understand if I turned down a range of options, and we both made every effort to find a compromise. In an extreme case, I could even consider annual leave. However, I guess it is about reasonableness. Committee now involved anyway, so see what happens

Swango1980

Visit site
The argument that he wants to play in October in case the weather is bad in November is the one that sounds daft to me.

What will he do if he gets through round one, insist that he won't play round two until April as the weather might be bad in December, January, February and March?
Indeed, ridiculous argument given it is called Winter singles. At end of day, he is more interested in making stand against a potential miswording in conditions of comp, to make a point. Or, he is more interested in getting through without having to play a match. However, it seems he is completely uninterested in competing in a fairly friendly and sociable winter comp, and competing in a bit of match play.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
IMO - No club winter competition for 7-day members should have any condition that assumes that a player can play Mon-Fri. If players are able to agree for such a day then great - but where , say, three dates must be offered then these dates should always be weekend dates. I can be asked if there are any dates I can play during the week - and if I can then great - but you need to offer me three weekend dates for winter comps.

If this scenario were me - I'd just drop a comp I was already signed up for - prioritise the match. If the other guy feels superior about it - that he's somehow won - then he can preen himself as much as he wants and I wouldn't let it bother me...

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm gonna add gamegolf support

Very helpful. Been helping me with something

However then turn hard sale every time

Last time it was pro.

This time smart caddie

I don't mind until I've politely refused 3 times and their still mentioning it

I DONT CARE

Feel bad now he just gave me free year of caddy to try lol

sunshine

Visit site
IMO - No club winter competition for 7-day members should have any condition that assumes that a player can play Mon-Fri. If players are able to agree for such a day then great - but where , say, three dates must be offered then these dates should always be weekend dates. I can be asked if there are any dates I can play during the week - and if I can then great - but you need to offer me three weekend dates for winter comps.

If this scenario were me - I'd just drop a comp I was already signed up for - prioritise the match. If the other guy feels superior about it - that he's somehow won - then he can preen himself as much as he wants and I wouldn't let it bother me...

Totally agree - the assumption has to be that members are at work Mon-Fri.

A few years ago I would have got wound up like the OP. Now I'd just drop the scramble: it is substituting golf for golf, at the same course on the same day. It's not like the scramble is the club championship. You can always play a social round on Sunday if you want your double fix of weekend golf.