Golf Random Irritations

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
You know when you play with a young lad of 17 who is really full of himself (encouraged by his parents) - simply blasts the ball as hard as he can every shot - hits it miles - but plays off 19 as he is all over the place. And he thinks he's the 'look at what I can do' bees-knees - as we traipse all over the shop to places you've never been hunting for his shots.

And you cannot but harbour suspicions that there is more to his play than just a load of youthful vigour and stupidity...with the ball striking power of a low SF player - and a handicap of 19 - just waiting for the right competition...

Sometimes my patience, acceptance and 'he's just a stupid laddie' is stretched. And I have to admit to at one point saying 'you'd be dangerous if you had any idea what you were doing'...'...and don't stand there please when I am teeing off ' (actually I had to make that request twice or three times - he's just a stupid laddie :) )

But, as you know, there are two types of highish handicap players:
Those that hit it always straight, but very short; those that hit it longish, but go off piste quite often.
And to improve the latter, it just isn't a case of saying " Don't hit it as far."

I recollect on the range I saw a young chap built like Schwartzan......, anyway, Arnold... and he was hitting this iron 170 (range ball). I asked him what club., and he said pitching wedge!,,
Commented he must be very good, and he told me he didn't play proper golf with a handicap. !!!

There is raw strength out there ( that I wish I had some of) that could be harnessed, to make good golfers.
There are only a very few incognito bandits amongst them, I think.

And, btw, it sounds like he's dangerous already ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But, as you know, there are two types of highish handicap players:
Those that hit it always straight, but very short; those that hit it longish, but go off piste quite often.
And to improve the latter, it just isn't a case of saying " Don't hit it as far."

I recollect on the range I saw a young chap built like Schwartzan......, anyway, Arnold... and he was hitting this iron 170 (range ball). I asked him what club., and he said pitching wedge!,,
Commented he must be very good, and he told me he didn't play proper golf with a handicap. !!!

There is raw strength out there ( that I wish I had some of) that could be harnessed, to make good golfers.
There are only a very few incognito bandits amongst them, I think.

And, btw, it sounds like he's dangerous already ?
He is dangerous...to players on adjacent holes...

He knows all about playing golf...has been playing for years (I've played with him before) and the rest of his family all play. He knows what he's doing. He thinks it's impressive to other players - and some might be impressed - but as he preens himself seeking the admiring gaze and comments of others - I'm afraid that I just get irritated :)

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
He is dangerous...to players on adjacent holes...

He knows all about playing golf...has been playing for years (I've played with him before) and the rest of his family all play. He knows what he's doing. He thinks it's impressive to other players - and some might be impressed - but as he preens himself seeking the admiring gaze and comments of others - I'm afraid that I just get irritated :)

Aha! One of those, eh?

Swango1980

Visit site
Pretty sure I've experiencing by biggest golf irritation ever (yes, even more so that is it a practice shot or not)

We have a new Competition Committee, who have just released the Winter Singles Knockout draw. In good faith, they released the draw with some general conditions at the top in terms of organising matches. This included "The top name in each match has responsibility to contact opponent and must offer at least 3 dates to include weekdays and weekends where possible"

So, I'm the bottom name in my match. However, although the deadline it 7th December, I have 4 doubles matches to arrange (before mid January), so thought I'd take initiative and contact opponent in singles. So, here is how it went. I offered all 3 Sundays remaining in October. He said No, he is playing comps on Saturdays and can't play twice at weekend, we'd have to play a weekday. I said I can't do weekdays, I work 9-5. He said too bad, he is married. He said he could pull out of Scramble mid October and play then (knowing I would have to also pull out, even though I was available that Sunday, and also knowing he needs to offer at least one weekend date). I said I wasn't available then, so I then offered him every single Saturday and Sunday in November and the first Saturday and Sunday in December. He said no, wants to play October as weather might get bad. He also said it is not for me to offer dates, as he is top of the draw. He then said it is either the Saturday we are meant to play the scramble, or a weekday in October, or nothing at all. I said I'll need to put it to the Committee to see how to resolve this. He said go ahead.

Basically, he is trying to pull a fast one on the hurriedly drafted conditions of competition. He kept referring to these conditions, and even sent me a photo as if I needed reminding. A Committee of volunteers who spend their own time trying to run competitions for club golfers to the best of their ability. I've no idea how the Committee will resolve this, as it is a new experience for them. It is true, that my opponent is trying to literally follow the written conditions, so he has the Committee (and me) under his thumb. I told him that he had his chance, and that those November dates will start to become unavailable as I plan other matches, or other things crop up. My worry is the Committee will just have to leave it until the deadline, allowing him to effectively throw some more dates at me immediately before the deadline, or knowing that I have now made arrangements for his new dates, thus meaning I can't play anyway. What is clear, he is not going to back down and all of a sudden be reasonable.

By the way, this is the same chap who once decided that I should get a penalty stroke because I lifted the rake out of the right hand side of the bunker, before going to the left hand side to play my shot, for testing the sand. I said I was only getting the rake to save time. He said it didn't matter, my hand touched the rake whilst the rake touched the sand, therefore it is a penalty. He also tried to give a penalty once when I made a practice swing on tee box before my drive, telling me practice swings are not allowed on tee boxes. And for many years, he tried to tell everyone you cannot hit a provisional if you step off the tee box. Even if I explained to him that this is impossible, given the player may well need to get a ball from their bag, or leave a small tee box so as not to get in another players way, he simply did not comprehend.

I'm very annoyed as you can imagine.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty sure I've experiencing by biggest golf irritation ever (yes, even more so that is it a practice shot or not)

We have a new Competition Committee, who have just released the Winter Singles Knockout draw. In good faith, they released the draw with some general conditions at the top in terms of organising matches. This included "The top name in each match has responsibility to contact opponent and must offer at least 3 dates to include weekdays and weekends where possible"

So, I'm the bottom name in my match. However, although the deadline it 7th December, I have 4 doubles matches to arrange (before mid January), so thought I'd take initiative and contact opponent in singles. So, here is how it went. I offered all 3 Sundays remaining in October. He said No, he is playing comps on Saturdays and can't play twice at weekend, we'd have to play a weekday. I said I can't do weekdays, I work 9-5. He said too bad, he is married. He said he could pull out of Scramble mid October and play then (knowing I would have to also pull out, even though I was available that Sunday, and also knowing he needs to offer at least one weekend date). I said I wasn't available then, so I then offered him every single Saturday and Sunday in November and the first Saturday and Sunday in December. He said no, wants to play October as weather might get bad. He also said it is not for me to offer dates, as he is top of the draw. He then said it is either the Saturday we are meant to play the scramble, or a weekday in October, or nothing at all. I said I'll need to put it to the Committee to see how to resolve this. He said go ahead.

Basically, he is trying to pull a fast one on the hurriedly drafted conditions of competition. He kept referring to these conditions, and even sent me a photo as if I needed reminding. A Committee of volunteers who spend their own time trying to run competitions for club golfers to the best of their ability. I've no idea how the Committee will resolve this, as it is a new experience for them. It is true, that my opponent is trying to literally follow the written conditions, so he has the Committee (and me) under his thumb. I told him that he had his chance, and that those November dates will start to become unavailable as I plan other matches, or other things crop up. My worry is the Committee will just have to leave it until the deadline, allowing him to effectively throw some more dates at me immediately before the deadline, or knowing that I have now made arrangements for his new dates, thus meaning I can't play anyway. What is clear, he is not going to back down and all of a sudden be reasonable.
God I hate people like that. Had it last year arranging fourball betterball matches. Why even enter the matchplay comps if you can't be flexible?? He plays comps on Saturdays and won't play Sundays so he expects his opponents to take a day's leave for the match? Selfish moron.

By the way, this is the same chap who once decided that I should get a penalty stroke because I lifted the rake out of the right hand side of the bunker, before going to the left hand side to play my shot, for testing the sand. I said I was only getting the rake to save time. He said it didn't matter, my hand touched the rake whilst the rake touched the sand, therefore it is a penalty. He also tried to give a penalty once when I made a practice swing on tee box before my drive, telling me practice swings are not allowed on tee boxes. And for many years, he tried to tell everyone you cannot hit a provisional if you step off the tee box. Even if I explained to him that this is impossible, given the player may well need to get a ball from their bag, or leave a small tee box so as not to get in another players way, he simply did not comprehend.

So he literally just makes up his own rules and then tries to enforce them? You can't even say they're misunderstandings of existing rules they're literally just made up. Is there something wrong with him?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I can sort of see your irritation but have you realised that he is offering dates as per the competition requirements and you are the one that can’t/won’t do weekdays so you are in breach of the requirements?
Always wonder why people enter competitions that they will struggle to play in due to other commitments. The competition can be played weekdays, you can’t do weekdays so you immediately rule out 5 days of the week- not the best way imo

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To me this doesn’t give him any right to call the shots it just says he’s accountable if no one makes contact. Just because 3 dates are offered you are not obliged to accept any of them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But the poster won’t/ can’t do weekdays so is less available than his opponent?!?!
Don't be silly, the majority of people work Monday to Friday. You can't expect people to take time off work to play, that's unreasonable. The other guy doesn't even work weekends he's just refusing to play then. (I'm actually getting angry on Swango's behalf :LOL:)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
To me this doesn’t give him any right to call the shots it just says he’s accountable if no one makes contact. Just because 3 dates are offered you are not obliged to accept any of them.
Agree, it seems like a rule to ensure the conversation actually takes place and you can't have two people blaming each other when they don't hear anything.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
He then said it is either the Saturday we are meant to play the scramble, or a weekday in October, or nothing at all. I said I'll need to put it to the Committee to see how to resolve this. He said go ahead.

Nothing for the Committee to resolve. He offered you three dates within the rules. Your options are:
1. Decline the tree dates & give him the match
2. Play on the Saturday, not the end of the world you have to withdraw from something else
3. Take a day's holiday & play midweek.

As stated above, hard to understand someone entering this kind of competition when they're completely unable to play mid week.

Swango1980

Visit site
God I hate people like that. Had it last year arranging fourball betterball matches. Why even enter the matchplay comps if you can't be flexible?? He plays comps on Saturdays and won't play Sundays so he expects his opponents to take a day's leave for the match? Selfish moron.

So he literally just makes up his own rules and then tries to enforce them? You can't even say they're misunderstandings of existing rules they're literally just made up. Is there something wrong with him?
He has played the last few Sundays socially. He can play Saturday or Sunday, he just can't play both. So, he could have pulled out of Saturday comp and played Sunday, but he was never going to be that reasonable.

Swango1980

Visit site
I can sort of see your irritation but have you realised that he is offering dates as per the competition requirements and you are the one that can’t/won’t do weekdays so you are in breach of the requirements?
Always wonder why people enter competitions that they will struggle to play in due to other commitments. The competition can be played weekdays, you can’t do weekdays so you immediately rule out 5 days of the week- not the best way imo
Neilds, I absolutely see this, which is why I said he has us under his thunb. It was not the intention of the new Committee for this to be the case, it used to always be that 3 weekend dates HAD to be available. This was assumed to be the case when entering. When the draw was hastily put up so some people could play matches last weekend, the guy that did it wrote these new conditions.

Many people in the comp work Monday to Friday, and many school teachers may as well forget about entering if the Committee intended them to be available weekedays

Swango1980

Visit site
Nothing for the Committee to resolve. He offered you three dates within the rules. Your options are:
1. Decline the tree dates & give him the match
2. Play on the Saturday, not the end of the world you have to withdraw from something else
3. Take a day's holiday & play midweek.

As stated above, hard to understand someone entering this kind of competition when they're completely unable to play mid week.
You seriously think competitions should be set up to stop people who work 9-5 from entering. If it was summer, at least evenings could be an option.

But, absolutely, he has won a victory here by applying the conditions of the comp to the letter

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't be silly, the majority of people work Monday to Friday. You can't expect people to take time off work to play, that's unreasonable. The other guy doesn't even work weekends he's just refusing to play then. (I'm actually getting angry on Swango's behalf :LOL:)
I agree that the majority of people work in the week, so might Swango’s opponent but you are calling him a selfish moron for wanting to spend at least one day on a weekend with his family?

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree that the majority of people work in the week, so might Swango’s opponent but you are calling him a selfish moron for wanting to spend at least one day on a weekend with his family?
No he’s a selfish moron for refusing to consider the dates in Nov and December on a what appears to be a whim.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm gonna add gamegolf support

Very helpful. Been helping me with something

However then turn hard sale every time

Last time it was pro.

This time smart caddie

I don't mind until I've politely refused 3 times and their still mentioning it

I DONT CARE