Golf Random Irritations

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Since joint Princes, my only really issue has been playing in the comps. Joint as Covid hit meant that social groups were pretty hard to get into. this month I’ve finally managed to get a few games and earn myself a few 0.1’s.

Was lined up to play the Medal with 2 new guys this morning at 0940. Get to the club at 0840. Have a quick warm up then go in to register and see if I can find em. Pro says they’d just headed out. Get out on to practice green and don’t recognise anyone (had chatted via FB). Turns out that they’d seen two mates on the green with a 0920 tee time and rushed out with them.

Unfortunately of the people on the practice green. Only one was in the comp and he was taking out a new guy at 1100 (too late for me to get back for school run).

Decide to play 18 as the weather was decent and go round In a nett 67! So instead of a cut I’m gonna get another 0.1 as officially an NR as the comp had been cut off!
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Only comfort I’m taking is that I got let through by them early doors and saw one of em duff into a nice pot bunker. Oh and it’s now started to rain and they’re probably an hour from the clubhouse.

D

Deleted member 3432

Since joint Princes, my only really issue has been playing in the comps. Joint as Covid hit meant that social groups were pretty hard to get into. this month I’ve finally managed to get a few games and earn myself a few 0.1’s.

Was lined up to play the Medal with 2 new guys this morning at 0940. Get to the club at 0840. Have a quick warm up then go in to register and see if I can find em. Pro says they’d just headed out. Get out on to practice green and don’t recognise anyone (had chatted via FB). Turns out that they’d seen two mates on the green with a 0920 tee time and rushed out with them.

Unfortunately of the people on the practice green. Only one was in the comp and he was taking out a new guy at 1100 (too late for me to get back for school run).

Decide to play 18 as the weather was decent and go round In a nett 67! So instead of a cut I’m gonna get another 0.1 as officially an NR as the comp had been cut off!

Only comfort I’m taking is that I got let through by them early doors and saw one of em duff into a nice pot bunker. Oh and it’s now started to rain and they’re probably an hour from the clubhouse.
How do you get a .1 when you couldn't play in comp after your 'playing partners' shafted you?

D

Deleted member 16999

Can you not explain to the Comp Sec what happened and avoid the 0.1.

I’d also be a bit more than “randomly irritated” by such a display of bad manners by your supposed playing partners.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I dont see how you get a +.1 given that you couldn't play in the comp given the actions of your fellow competitors, who should, I believe, be DQ'd for teeing off early without the committee's permission

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Was only junior pro on. He's gonna chat with the guys and said hope to avoid the 0.1.

Issue being that since lockdown. Midweek comps have almost been self run. Book own tee times, comp cut off 12 hours prior to first tee and everyone offically entered. So as I can't have my score verified it would be invalid.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
And there, ladies and gentlemen, is the sort of moronic attitude that caused a second wave.

He's out to play golf not join in a late night party, after hours, (10pm) in the middle of a major city. Honestly, some people are so quick to have a go on here. You want to have a look at yourself. I follow and have followed the rules from the begiining and do not take lightly your comments. You do not know me and never will. Keep ypour comments about other people to yourself.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Was only junior pro on. He's gonna chat with the guys and said hope to avoid the 0.1.

Issue being that since lockdown. Midweek comps have almost been self run. Book own tee times, comp cut off 12 hours prior to first tee and everyone offically entered. So as I can't have my score verified it would be invalid.

But the rules still apply Dave. They are bound to play in the group they put down with and also cant tee off early or late unless they get an ok from the competition secretary/ golf committee

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
He's out to play golf not join in a late night party, after hours, (10pm) in the middle of a major city. Honestly, some people are so quick to have a go on here. You want to have a look at yourself. I follow and have followed the rules from the begiining and do not take lightly your comments. You do not know me and never will. Keep ypour comments about other people to yourself.

but in your view it's perfectly ok for him to break the law?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
But the rules still apply Dave. They are bound to play in the group they put down with and also cant tee off early or late unless they get an ok from the competition secretary/ golf committee
This is where it gets a little murky.

The comp isn’t in the booking system. They run midweek comps every week, but there are no tees allocated to it. You simply book a tee time and then play. I had 10am booked for example as when system went live I hadn’t found anyone to play with but could still of had a knock.
So although invited to play, system still had me at 10am as only got the invite yesterday after pro shop was closed, so couldn’t call to cancel.

Could have played a comp at Canterbury but turned down invite to try and get to know others here :rolleyes:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
This is where it gets a little murky.

The comp isn’t in the booking system. They run midweek comps every week, but there are no tees allocated to it. You simply book a tee time and then play. I had 10am booked for example as when system went live I hadn’t found anyone to play with but could still of had a knock.
So although invited to play, system still had me at 10am as only got the invite yesterday after pro shop was closed, so couldn’t call to cancel.

Could have played a comp at Canterbury but turned down invite to try and get to know others here :rolleyes:

Murky as you say ?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
but in your view it's perfectly ok for him to break the law?

Just like all those partying in the streets???? Come on get a grip. No one is doing a damn thing about them because they can't. It's impossible. I would trust Ian to behave responsibly whislt going to and playing golf. Just as I would anyone on here. Were following the rules as best we can. But to deprive us of our one release whislts others are attending raves in back gardens / having parties etc etc. To stop a responsible person from one of his pleasures in life that he does responsibly, under Covid guidelines, is stupid beyond belief and I cannot beleive people as so quick to complain when someone has another point of view. And it's not just me I can assure you.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Just like all those partying in the streets???? Come on get a grip. No one is doing a damn thing about them because they can't. It's impossible. I would trust Ian to behave responsibly whislt going to and playing golf. Just as I would anyone on here. Were following the rules as best we can. But to deprive us of our one release whislts others are attending raves in back gardens / having parties etc etc. To stop a responsible person from one of his pleasures in life that he does responsibly, under Covid guidelines, is stupid beyond belief and I cannot beleive people as so quick to complain when someone has another point of view. And it's not just me I can assure you.

Basically you have posted that its perfectly ok in your mind for someone/ anyone to break the law that they disagree with, and you justify it by saying the law in this regard is stupid. Does it not occur that, by your standards, anyone can do whatever they like that's against the law if they disagree with that law? Also, if he does enjoy "one of his pleasures in life" he, by definition, is NOT doing under Covid guidelines as the guidelines were exactly why he isn't doing it

sunshine

Visit site

It's not a "point of view", it's the law, implemented under guidance of experts in order to protect the people. And following the law is stupid beyond belief :rolleyes:

sunshine

Visit site
I'm not one for rants, but there's always a first...

Played a new course with a group of friends, really enjoyable, club staff and members very welcoming. Then in the afternoon we got held up by a four ball.

At first we patiently waited behind them, including standing on the tee of a par 3 for almost 15 minutes :eek:. After 6 holes of this, by which time we had lost 40 minutes, it became clear we were going to run out of daylight, because they had no intention of letting us through, even tough the course ahead was completely empty. We stood waiting on a par 3 for another 10 minutes, waving and calling out to try to get their attention. We watched as one of the group took six shots to chip her ball up on to the green, she must have had a dozen shots at least on that par 3. Finally we walked over and politely asked to play through. Suddenly they sped up, an we were able to play the final 6 holes behind them at a sensible pace and finish before sunset. Result! Or so I thought...

We then had a nice meal in the clubhouse, when suddenly a bloke turns up, saying his wife has got home upset because we had told her to hurry up. So he's changed out of his slippers and driven up to the club to confront us. When we explained that his wife's group had held us up for 6 holes, he told us that his wife is a member who pays a subscription, so she is entitled to hold us up because we were just visitors. As visitors we should count ourselves lucky to be on the course and shouldn't disturb members who pay a subscription.

Some people eh?

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm not one for rants, but there's always a first...

Played a new course with a group of friends, really enjoyable, club staff and members very welcoming. Then in the afternoon we got held up by a four ball.

At first we patiently waited behind them, including standing on the tee of a par 3 for almost 15 minutes :eek:. After 6 holes of this, by which time we had lost 40 minutes, it became clear we were going to run out of daylight, because they had no intention of letting us through, even tough the course ahead was completely empty. We stood waiting on a par 3 for another 10 minutes, waving and calling out to try to get their attention. We watched as one of the group took six shots to chip her ball up on to the green, she must have had a dozen shots at least on that par 3. Finally we walked over and politely asked to play through. Suddenly they sped up, an we were able to play the final 6 holes behind them at a sensible pace and finish before sunset. Result! Or so I thought...

We then had a nice meal in the clubhouse, when suddenly a bloke turns up, saying his wife has got home upset because we had told her to hurry up. So he's changed out of his slippers and driven up to the club to confront us. When we explained that his wife's group had held us up for 6 holes, he told us that his wife is a member who pays a subscription, so she is entitled to hold us up because we were just visitors. As visitors we should count ourselves lucky to be on the course and shouldn't disturb members who pay a subscription.

Some people eh?

Wow. I'd be complaining directly to the club.

The pace of play aside, which is always worth a mention to the pro on your way off the course, the way the member has treated you is shocking.

That said, I recently had a scenario at a course which warranted an email to complain about our experience - teeing off 25 minutes behind schedule, after a society and then taking 4 hrs 45 to play a course we usually only take 3hrs 30 to play. The reply I received was "well pace of play can always be an issue. we had a starter on and he was happy with the way the groups were moving. When you come back next time let me know and I'll ensure it's quiet". We shan't be heading back in a hurry!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So, by your logic I can drink in a pub until 3 in the morning with 50 people crammed in as it is ok as your son is going playing golf. If he can break the law, why can’t I?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I got 2 x 2s in our Open on Sunday - but as no funds have appeared in my Pro Shop account it looks like there wasn't a 2s sweep running when I thought that there was. Hopes of ££s in my account raised - but looking to be dashed...drats...!